Location of Šamac within Bosnia and Herzegovina
|Country||Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|- Mayor||Savo Minić (SNSD) |
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|- Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Šamac (Cyrillic: Шамац) or Bosanski Šamac (Cyrillic: Босански Шамац), is a town and municipality in Republika Srpska, in the northern part of Bosnia and Herzegovina, located on the right bank of the Sava river. Across the river is Slavonski Šamac in Croatia.
The city was part of the old Ottoman province of Bosnia by the time it was incorporated in the Austro-Hungarian Empire at the end of 19th century. After the I World War, the city passed to part of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia. From 1929 to 1939, it was part of Drina Banovina; and from 1939 until 1941 it was part of the Banovina of Croatia. During World War II, Bosanski Šamac, as all the rest of Bosnia-Herzegovina, was included into Nazi-controlled Independent State of Croatia. After 1945, the city was reintegrated within the Socialist Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina in Tito's Yugoslavia.
In the early stages of the Bosnian war the town was taken by Bosnian Serbs who established the provisional municipal government. Most Bosniaks and Bosnian Croats were ethnically cleansed. During the war, a semi-permanent front line was established against Croatian and Bosniak forces towards the neighboring Orašje. In 2003, three Bosnian Serb town leaders at the time of the Yugoslav Wars were sentenced in ICTY for crimes against humanity.
The town lies on an important strategic position – the corridor connecting north-western and south-eastern parts of Republika Srpska, near Brčko and bordering the two FBiH's exclaves at the frontier with Croatia. As with most other places under their control, Srpska authorities removed the "Bosnian" adjective from the town's official name. Bosniaks and Bosnian Croats continue to refer to it by its historical name of "Bosanski Šamac".
A monument in Šamac for the Serbs who fought and died in the Bosnian war, has the Serbian eagle in the center, the years which the war occurred (1992-1995) and the Serbian slogan: "Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava" on the left and right sides.