The Full Wiki

316th Operations Group: Wikis

Advertisements
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

316th Operations Group
316thoperationsgroup-emblem.jpg
Emblem of the 316th Operations Group
Active 1942-1957; 2006-Present
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Part of 316th Wing
Bell UH-1N Huey 66-16663 of the 1st Helicopter Squadron flying over Washington D.C.

The 316th Operations Group (316 OG) is the flying component of the Air Force District of Washington 316th Wing, stationed at Andrews Air Force Base, Maryland.

Its World War II predecessor unit, the 316th Troop Carrier Group was a highly-decorated C-47 Skytrain unit that served with Ninth and Twelfth Air Force in the European and the Mediterranean theaters. As part of Operation Avalanche, the Allied invasion of Italy, the 316th dropped paratroops over the beachhead south of the Sele River on the night of 14 Sep 1943. Later during Operation Overload, the Allied invasion of France, the group dropped paratroops near Ste-Mere-Eglise a few hours before the main landings on 6 June 1944. It also dropped paratroops and released gliders carrying reinforcements during the airborne invasion of the Netherlands, Operation Market-Garden in September 1944. By the end of the war, the 316th Troop Carrier Group was awarded three Distinguished Unit Citations.

Contents

Overview

The group is tasked with the operations of the 1st Helicopter Squadron, which supports Washington D.C. capital area airlift for the Executive Branch, high-ranking dignitaries, high ranking military leaders and other VIPs. It operates Bell UH-1N Hueys.

The 316th Operations Support Squadron provides the necessary support infrastructure for the Group and the 25 other tenant flying units on Andrews AFB.

History

See the 316th Wing for additional history and lineage
Advertisements

Lineage

  • Constituted as 316th Transport Group on 2 Feb 1942
Activated on 14 Feb 1942
Redesignated 316th Troop Carrier Group in Jul 1942
Redesignated 316th Troop Carrier Group (Medium) in June 1948
Redesignated 316th Troop Carrier Group (Heavy) in Oct 1949
Redesignated 316th Troop Carrier Group (Medium) in Jan 1950
Inactivated 18 Jun 1957
Redesignated 316th Operations Group, and activated 22 Jun 2006

Assignments

Attached to: 53d Troop Carrier Wing, 14 Feb-12 Nov 1942

Components

Stations

Aircraft assigned

Operational History

World War II

Emblem of the 316th Troop Carrier Group
Douglas C-47A-80-DL 43-15292 of the 37th Troop Carrier Squadron just before D-Day, June 1944. Ford CG-4A-FO 43-40214 Waco Glider in front being moved by ground personnel.
316th TCG Fairchild C-82A-30-FA Packet 44-23049 about to airlift paratroops in postwar exercise

Trained with I Troop Carrier Command with C-47 and C-53 aircraft. Moved to the Mediterranean theater, assigned to Ninth Air Force, and began operations in Nov 1942. Flew combat missions in North Africa Egypt/Libya campaign. Transported supplies and evacuated casualties in support of the Allied drive across North Africa.

In May 1943 the 316th began training for the invasion of Sicily. They dropped paratroopers over the assault area on the night of 9 July, and carried reinforcements on 11 Jul, receiving DUC for carrying out that mission although severely attacked by ground and naval forces. They received another DUC for supporting aerial and ground operations in Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, and Sicily, 25 Nov 1942-25 Aug 1943, by transporting reinforcements and supplies.

The 316th was assigned to Twelfth AF and moved to Sicily to take part in the invasion of Italy, where it dropped paratroops over the beachhead south of the Sele River on the night of 14 Sep 1943. They transported cargo in the theater until Feb 1944, then joined Ninth AF in England and prepared for the invasion of France.

The unit dropped paratroops near Ste-Mere-Eglise on D—Day 1944 and flew a reinforcement mission on 7 Jun, receiving a third DUC for these operations. During Operation Market Garden, they dropped paratroops and released gliders carrying reinforcements. Again they dropped paratroops near Wesel on 24 Mar 1945 when the Allies made the airborne assault across the Rhine. They also provided transport services in Europe while not engaged in airborne operations, hauling supplies such as ammunition, gasoline, water, and rations; along with evacuating wounded personnel to rear-zone hospitals.

Cold War

Returned to the US in May 1945. Trained with C-47 C-82 and later C-119 aircraft as part of Tactical Air Command.

Transferred, without personnel and equipment, to Japan on 15 Nov 1954. Assigned to Far East Air Forces, manned, and equipped with C-119s and performed theater airlift missions primarily to Japan, Okinawa, Philippines and South Korea. Inactivated in 1957.

Modern Era

Reactivated in 2006 to be operational flying component of AFDW 316th Wing in Washington D.C. area.

References

PD-icon.svg This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0892010924.
  • Ravenstein, Charles A. (1984). Air Force Combat Wings Lineage and Honors Histories 1947-1977. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0912799129.

External links


Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message