410th Air Expeditionary Operations Group: Wikis

Advertisements
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

410th Air Expeditionary Operations Group
410thaeog-patch.jpg
410th Air Expeditionary Operations Group emblem
Active 1943-1945; 2003-TBD
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Type Air Expeditionary
Group photo of 410th Air Expeditionary Operations Group
Pararescuemen perform a static-line parachute jump at a forward-deployed Operation Enduring Freedom location. The pararecuemen from the 410th Air Expeditionary Wing performed the 800-foot training jump

The 410th Air Expeditionary Operations Group (410 AEOG) is a provisional United States Air Force unit assigned to Air Combat Command. It is the operational flying component of the 410th Air Expeditionary Wing. It may be activated or inactivated at any time.

The unit's World War II predecessor unit, the 410th Bombardment Group was an A-20 Havoc light Bomb Group assigned to Ninth Air Force in Western Europe. The unit helped shape the modern world by providing teeth to the IX Bomber Command bombing efforts. It earned the title of the world's best bomb unit for combat accuracy and was the first unit trained in both day and night tactics. The 410th was awarded a Distinguished Unit Citation for its actions during the Battle of the Bulge for the effectiveness of its bombing, 23-25 Dec 1944, when the group made numerous attacks on German lines of communications.

Contents

Overview

The unit was known to be active in 2003 during Operation Iraqi Freedom, when it was activated by ACC to manage various strike assets of the Air National Guard; the Air Force Reserve; the British Royal Air Force and the Royal Australian Air Force to support a counter-SCUD mission in the western desert of Iraq. Elements of the 410 AEOG were assigned to several air bases in Jordan to carry out its mission.

The unit has also been known to be active in Afghanistan as part of Operation Enduring Freedom.

History

For additional history and lineage, see 410th Air Expeditionary Wing
Advertisements

Lineage

  • Constituted as: 410th Bombardment Group (Light) on 16 Jun 1943
Activated on 1 Jul 1943
Inactivated on 7 Nov 1945
  • Redesignated as: 410th Operations Group and activated on 1 Sep 1991
Inactivated on 30 Sep 1995
  • Redesignated 410th Air Expeditionary Operations Group and converted to provisional status, Sep 2002

Assignments

Attached to: United States Central Command Air Forces, 2003-TBD

Components

  • 46th Air Refueling Squadron: 1 Sep 1991-8 Oct 1993
  • 644th Bombardment Squadron (5D): 1 Jul 1943-7 Nov 1945; 1 Sep 1991-21 Nov 1994
  • 645th Bombardment Squadron (7X): 1 Jul 1943-7 Nov 1945
  • 646th Bombardment Squadron (8U): 1 Jul 1943-7 Nov 1945
  • 647th Bombardment Squadron (SQ): 1 Jul 1943-7 Nov 1945

Stations

Aircraft assigned

Operational history

World War II

410th Bombardment Group A-20 taking off
Formation of A-20 Havocs of the 410th Bombardment Group

Originally Third Air Force Operational Training Unit for A-20 Havoc light bombers. Moved to England, Mar—Apr 1944, and assigned to Ninth Air Force.

Entered combat in May 1944 and helped to prepare for the invasion of Normandy by assaulting coastal defenses, airfields, and V-weapon sites in France, and marshalling yards in France and Belgium. Supported the invasion in Jun by bombing gun positions and railway choke points. Assisted ground forces at Caen and St Lo in Jul and at Brest in Aug and Sept by attacking bridges, vehicles, fuel and ammunition dumps, and rail lines.

Moved to France in Sept, and through mid-Dec struck defended villages, railroad bridges and overpasses, marshalling yards, military camps, and communications centers to support the Allied assault on the Siegfried Line. Participated in the Battle of the Bulge, Dec 1944—Jan 1945, by pounding marshalling yards, railheads, bridges, and vehicles in the battle area.

Received a DUC for the effectiveness of its bombing in the Ardennes, 23-25 Dec 1944, when the group made numerous attacks on enemy lines of communications. Flew several night missions in Feb 1945, using B-26's as flare planes, an A-26 for target marking, and A-20's to bomb the objectives. Continued to fly support and interdictory missions, aiding the drive across the Rhine and into Germany, Feb—Apr 1945. Converted to A-26 aircraft, but the war ended before the group was ready to fly them in combat.

Returned to the US, Jun—Aug 1945. Inactivated on 7 Nov 1945.

Modern era

Reactivated 1 September 1991 as 410th Operations Group at K. I. Sawyer AFB when 410th Wing implemented Objective Organization, and assumed operational responsibility for B-52 Stratofortress squadron and assigned KC-135 tankers. Aircraft carried Tail Code "KI" after 1992. Inactivated 1995 when K. I Sawyer was closed by Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC).

Activated by Air Combat Command in early 2003 especially for the Scud-hunting mission during Operation Iraqi Freedom and to support other special operations forces tasks in western Iraq. Unit was activated at Muwaffaq Salti Air Base, Jordan (also known as Shahid Muafaq Al-Salti Air Base), dubbed Azraq Air Base by the U.S. military.

Fighting alongside their fully integrated special operations ground task forces, the 410 AEOG's pilots, flying F-16C and A-10 aircraft, pursued enemy equipment, personnel, and high-value targets, including regime leadership. In total, the wing flew 9,651 fighter and attack hours in twenty-six days flying counter-tactical ballistic-missile missions and never left the special operations forces in western Iraq without air cover.

Often flying in extremely hazardous conditions in and around Iraq, the wing's crews generated 2,547 sorties, providing around-the-clock, time-sensitive targeting, interdiction, OCA (offensive counterair), CAS (close air support), ISR (intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance), and CSAR (combat search and rescue) missions deep within enemy territory.

These missions were flown from bare bases with little supporting infrastructure and necessary logistics. The wing accurately employed more than 600 precision-guided munitions and expended a total of 800,000 pounds of weapons. In addition to eliminating TBM support equipment, the wing is credited with destroying aircraft, armored vehicles, artillery pieces, surface-to-air missile systems, ammunition supply dumps, radars, and enemy troops. The wing is also credited with the destruction of two Baath Party headquarters buildings in western and central Iraq. Although the wing was engaged in more than 200 troops-in-contact scenarios, there were no fratricide events.

During OIF, 410th personnel supplied thirty F-16s, four HH-60s, four HC-130s, eight RAF GR.7 Harriers, and two PR.9 Canberras with 130,000 gallons of fuel per day for twenty-three days.

References

PD-icon.svg This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0892010924.
  • Johnson, David C. (1988), U.S. Army Air Forces Continental Airfields (ETO), D-Day to V-E Day; Research Division, USAF Historical Research Center, Maxwell AFB, Alabama.
  • Rogers, Brian. United States Air Force Unit Designations Since 1978. Hinkley, UK: Midland Publications, 2005. ISBN 1-85780-197-0.
  • A-10 Units of Operation Iraqi Freedom - Part II

External links


Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message