416th Air Expeditionary Operations Group: Wikis

Advertisements
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

416th Air Expeditionary Operations Group
415thairexpeditionarygroup-patch.jpg
416th Air Expeditionary Operations Group emblem
Active 1943-1945; 2002-2005
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Type Air Expeditionary
Role Combat Support

The 416th Air Expeditionary Group (416 AEG) was a provisional unit assigned to the United States Air Force Air Mobility Command.

The current status of this unit is not publicly known. It previously served as the host unit at Karshi-Khanabad Air Base (K2), in Qarshi, Uzbekistan, from 2002-2005. It was known to support operations against al-Qaeda in Afghanistan while active at Karshi-Khanabad.

The group's World War II predecessor unit, the 416th Bombardment Group was a A-20 Havoc light Bomb Group assigned to Ninth Air Force in Western Europe. It was awarded a Distinguished Unit Citation for its actions in France when, in spite of intense resistance, the group bombed bridges, railways, rolling stock, and a radar station to disrupt the German retreat through the Falaise-Argentan gap, 6-9 Aug 1944.

Contents

History

Staff Sgt. Sammy Ayala gives directions to the crew of a Russian-built AN-12 cargo plane here May 2. He is a transient alert Airman and KC-10 Extender crew chief with the 416th Air Expeditionary Group's transient alert flight at KARSHI-KHANABAD AIR BASE, Uzbekistan.
Staff Sgt. Sammy Ayala positions a fire bottle while preparing a C-17 Globemaster III for parking April 28. He is a transient alert Airman and KC-10 Extender crew chief with the 416th Air Expeditionary Group's transient alert flight
For additional history and lineage, see 416th Bombardment Wing
Advertisements

Lineage

  • Constituted as 416th Bombardment Group (Light) on 25 Jan 1943
Activated on 5 Feb 1943
Inactivated on 24 Oct 1945
  • Consolidated (31 Jan 1984) with the 416 Bombardment Wing, Heavy, which was established, and activated, on 15 Nov 1962. Organized on 1 Feb 1963.
  • Redesignated: 416 Wing on 1 Sep 1991; 416 Bomb Wing on 1 Jun 1992.
Inactivated on 30 Sep 1995.
  • Redesignated 416 Air Expeditionary Group, and converted to provisional status, on 3 May 2002.[1]

Assignments

Attached to: United States Central Command Air Forces, 2002-2005

Components

  • 41st Air Refueling Squadron: 1 Sept 1991-15 Feb 1993
  • 509th Air Refueling Squadron: 1 Sept 1991-28 Sept 1994
  • 668th Bombardment Squadron: 5 Feb 1943-24 Oct 1945; 1 Sept 1991-1 Jan 1995
  • 669th Bombardment Squadron: 5 Feb 1943-24 Oct 1945
  • 670th Bombardment Squadron: 5 Feb 1943-24 Oct 1945
  • 671st Bombardment Squadron: 5 Feb 1943-24 Oct 1945

Stations

Aircraft

Operations

World War II

A-20 from the 416th Bomb Group making a bomb run on D-Day, 6 June 1944
Flight of A-20 from the 416th Bomb Group making a bomb run

Activated on 5 Feb 1943 without personnel, at Will Rogers Field, Oklahoma. The authority for the organization of this Group was contained in General Orders #3, Headquarter Army Air base, Will Rogers Field, Oklahoma, dated 4 February, 1943. The components making up the Group were the 668th, 669th, 670th and 671st Bombardment Squadrons Light. The original transfer of fifty-one (51) Officers and two hundred and forty-one (241) Enlisted Men was made on 15 February, 1943. The source of the cadre was the 46th Bombardment Group and units from Will Rogers Field; from Blythe, Calif.; from Barksdale Field, La.; and a number of men with considerable overseas experience from the Third Air Force Replacement Center, Plant Park, Florida. Until 15 February, all personnel were attached to their parent organization for duty, rations, and quarters. However, on that date, the 46th Bombardment Group Light moved to the North side of Will Rogers Field, leaving the South side to the 416th Bombardment Group.

The Group originally operated as a Operational Training Unit under the III Air Support Command. The Group fell back on the parent Group, the 46th, for assistance with its training. Pilots were attached to the 46 Bomb Group for transition flying during the first three months of its existence. On 11 May, the first eight (8) planes were assigned to the 416th Group. One B-25C and one A-20-B was given to each of the 668th and 669th Squadrons. Two A-20-B's were assigned to each of the 670th and 671st Squadrons. Classes in all the military occupational specialties were conducted by the 46th Bomb Group until 1 June 1943. The Pilots attended Ground School, for five hours a day, in the following subjects: code, link trainer, aircraft recognition, operation and maintenance of the A-20 and B-25, air navigation, radio, instrument procedure, etc. The Intelligence personnel attended classes for one hour a day.

Moved to England, Jan—Feb 1944, and assigned to Ninth Air Force. Entered combat in Mar 1944, and during the next several weeks directed most of its attacks against V-weapon sites in France. Flew a number of missions against airfields and coastal defenses to help prepare for the invasion of Normandy. Supported the invasion in Jun 1944 by striking road junctions, marshalling yards, bridges, and railway overpasses. Assisted ground forces at Caen and St Lo in Jul and at Brest later in the summer, by hitting transportation facilities, supply dumps, radar installations, and other targets. In spite of intense resistance, the group bombed bridges, railways, rolling stock, and a radar station to disrupt the enemy's retreat through the Falaise gap, 6-9 Aug 1944, and received a DUC for the missions.

Assisted the airborne attack on Holland in September. Supported the assault on the Siegfried Line by pounding transportation, warehouses, supply dumps, and defended villages in Germany. Converted to A-26 aircraft in Nov. Attacked transportation facilities, strong points, communications centers, and troop concentrations during the Battle of the Bulge, Dec 1944—Jan 1945. Aided the Allied thrust into Germany by continuing its strikes against transportation, communications, airfields, storage depots, and other objectives, Feb—May 1945. Bombed flak positions in support of the airborne assault across the Rhine in Mar 1945.

Returned to the US, Jul—Oct 1945. Inactivated on 24 Oct 1945

Modern era

Reactivated 1 Sep 1991 as 416th Operations Group at Griffis AFB when 416th Wing implemented Objective Organization, and assumed operational responsibility for B-52 Stratofortress squadron and assigned KC-135 tankers. Aircraft carried Tail Code "GR" after 1992. Inactivated 1995 when Griffis was closed by Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC).

Became provisional Air Expeditionary Group as part of Global War on Terrorism in 2001. Assigned to Uzbekistan as an Air Mobility Command unit in early 2002. Operated as a support unit at the base for transshipments of cargo and supplies from United States, for onward tactical airlift to combat forces in Afghanistan fighting Taliban and Al Quaeda forces. Inactivated in November 2005 after the Uzbek government requested the United States withdraw its forces from their territory.

Notes

PD-icon.svg This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

References

  • Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0892010924.
  • Johnson, David C. (1988), U.S. Army Air Forces Continental Airfields (ETO), D-Day to V-E Day; Research Division, USAF Historical Research Center, Maxwell AFB, Alabama.
  • Rogers, Brian. United States Air Force Unit Designations Since 1978. Hinkley, UK: Midland Publications, 2005. ISBN 1-85780-197-0.

Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message