The Full Wiki

465th Bombardment Wing: Wikis

Advertisements
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

465th Bombardment Wing
465th Bombardment Wing.PNG
465th Bombardment Wing Insignia
Active 1943–1945, 1953–1957, 1962–1968
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Role Bombardment
Part of Strategic Air Command
Garrison/HQ Robins AFB, Georgia

The 465th Bombardment Wing (465th BW) is an inactive unit of the United States Air Force. Its last assignment was with Strategic Air Command, being stationed at Robins Air Force Base, Georgia. It was inactivated on July 21, 1968.

Contents

History

Advertisements

Lineage

  • Constituted as 465th Bombardment Group (Heavy) on May 19, 1943
Activated on August 1, 1943
Inactivated on July 31, 1945.
  • Redesignated 465th Troop Carrier Group (Medium) and activated on February 1, 1953
  • Established as 465th Troop Carrier Wing, Medium, on August 21, 1953
465th Troop Carrier Group, Medium assigned as subordinate organization to wing
Wing activated on August 25, 1953
  • Inactivated on July 8, 1957
  • Redesignated 465th Bombardment Wing, Heavy, and activated, on November 15, 1962
Organized on February 1, 1963
Discontinued, and inactivated, on July 25, 1968.

Assignments

IV Bomber Command, August 1, 1943 – February 1, 1944
55th Bombardment Wing, April 1944 – June 1945
Eighteenth Air Force, August 25, 1953
Twelfth Air Force
Attached to: 322d Air Division (Combat Cargo), April 1, 1954 – July 31, 1955
(Remained assigned to Tactical Air Command)
322d Air Division (Combat Cargo), August 1, 1955 – July 8, 1957
Eighth Air Force
822d Air Division, February 1, 1963
Attached to 57th Air Division, August 10 – September 1, 1966
57th Air Division, September 2, 1966 – July 25, 1968.

Stations

Components

Groups

  • 313th Troop Carrier: attached August 25 – September 30, 1953
  • 465th Troop Carrier: August 25 – December 26, 1953
Detached August 25 – November 30, 1953; April 1, 1954 – March 12, 1957

Squadrons

  • 39th Troop Carrier
Attached December 1956 – March 11, 1957
Assigned March 12 – July 8, 1957
  • 40th Troop Carrier: Attached April 10 – July 7, 1957
  • 41st Troop Carrier: Attached March 15 – July 7, 1957
  • 780th Bombardment (later Troop Carrier): 1943–1945, 1955–1957
  • 781st Bombardment (later Troop Carrier, later Bombardment): 1943–1945, 1955–1957, 1963–1968
  • 782nd Bombardment: May 1943 - July 1945
  • 783d Bombardment (later Troop Carrier): 1943–1945, 1955–1957
  • 912th Air Refueling 1963–1968

Aircraft Flown

Operational History

465th Bombardment Group (Heavy)

Constituted as 465th Bombardment Group (Heavy) on May 19, 1943, the Groupe was activated on August 1, 1943. Prepared for duty overseas with B-24's, it was moved to the Mediterranean theatre in 1944, where it received additional training in Tunisia before joining the ground echelon in Italy and was assigned to the 55th Bombardment Wing of Fifteenth Air Force.

The Bombardment Group entered combat on May 5, 1944, and served primarily as a strategic bombardment organization until late in April 1945. During this time, the Group attacked marshalling yards, dock facilities, oil refineries, oil storage plants, aircraft factories, and other objectives in Italy, France, Germany, Czechoslovakia, Austria, Hungary, and the Balkans. On two different missions - to marshalling yards and an oil refinery at Vienna on July 8, 1944 and to steel plants at Friedrichshafen on August 3, 1944 – the group bombed its targets despite antiaircraft fire and fighter opposition, being awarded a DUC for each of these attacks. Other operations included bombing troop concentrations and bivouac areas in May 1944 to aid the Partisans in Yugoslavia; attacking enemy troops and supply lines to assist the drive toward Rome, in May to June 1944; striking bridges, rail lines, and gun emplacements prior to the invasion of Southern France in August 1944; bombing rail facilities and rolling stock in October 1944 to support the advance of Russian and Romanian forces in the Balkans; and hitting troops, gun positions, bridges, and supply lines during April 1945 in support of Allied forces in northern Italy.

In June 1945, the Group was moved to the Caribbean area and assigned to Air Transport Command. It was inactivated in Trinidad shortly after on July 31 of the same year.

465th Troop Carrier Wing

465tcw.jpg
Lockheed C-130A-8-LM Hercules 56-0524 of the 40th Troop Carrier Squadron, 1958. Later, this aircraft was converted into the C-130A-II intelligence gathering configuration and used by the 7406th Operations Squadron at Rhein-Main Air Base West Germany. Later, it was converted to a GC-130A and used as a ground trainer

Established as the 465th Troop Carrier Wing, Medium on August 21, 1953, it was activated August 25, 1953 at Mitchel AFB, NY. to replace the 313th Troop Carrier Wing, Medium. The 465th Troop Carrier Group operated under control of other wings from August through November 30, 1953, when it commenced an overseas movement. Meanwhile, the 465th Wing controlled the 313th Troop Carrier Group from August 25 to September 30, 1953 in normal troop carrier operations and training. From October 1, 1953 until the wing itself was relocated in Europe in early April 1954, no tactical operations were performed. The wing participated in numerous troop carrier and airlift operation's, tests, and exercises in the European area in support of USAFE and NATO, April 1954 – July 1957.

The end of the 465th came on July 8, 1957 when it was deactivated and the 780th and 781st squadrons came under the command of the 317th Troop Carrier Wing. At this time, the two squadrons was directed to prepare their C-119s for return to Air Force Reserve Troop Carrier Wings in CONUS. By December, 37 C-119s departed. On December 20 the 782d squadron was deactivated.

On January 6, 1958, all the C-119s of the 317th TCW were transferred on paper to the 780th and 781st squadrons and they flew the aircraft back to CONUS. On March 8, 1958 they were also deactivated.

465th Bombardment Wing

The Wing was redesignated 465th Bombardment Wing, Heavy and activated November 15, 1962. It was organized on February 1, 1963 at Robins AFB, Georgia, where it assumed the resources of the 4137th Strategic Wing. It conducted strategic bombardment training and air refueling operation.

Inactivated July 25, 1968

References

PD-icon.svg This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0892010924.
  • Ravenstein, Charles A. (1984). Air Force Combat Wings Lineage and Honors Histories 1947-1977. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0912799129.
  • McAuliffe, Jerome J: U.S. Air Force in France 1950–1967 (2005), Chapter 12, Evreux-Fauville Air Base.
  • 465th Bombardment Wing @ strategic-air-command.com

External links


Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message