The Full Wiki

467th Bombardment Group: Wikis

Advertisements
  
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

467th Bombardment Group
Group 467th Bomb 467th BG WP.gif
467th Bombardment Group Insignia
Active 1943–1946
Country United States
Branch United States Army Air Forces
Role Bombardment
Part of Eighth Air Force
Garrison/HQ European Theatre of World War II

The 467th Bombardment Group is an inactive United States Army Air Force unit. Its last assignment was to the Strategic Air Command, being stationed at Clovis Army Airfield, New Mexico. It was inactivated on 4 August 1946.

During World War II, the group was a Eighth Air Force B-24 Liberator unit in England assigned to RAF Rackheath. The group set unsurpassed record for bombing accuracy on 15 April 1945, holding the record for bombing accuracy in the Eighth Air Force. They destroyed a German battery at Pointe de Grave, on the west coast of France and scored a 100 per cent strike. The group commander, Colonel Albert J. Shower, was the only group commander to stay with the same group from beginning to the end of the war.

Contents

History

Advertisements

Lineage

  • Constituted as 467th Bombardment Group (Heavy) on 19 May 1943
Activated on 1 Aug 1943
Redesignated 467th Bombardment Group (Very Heavy) in Aug 1945
Inactivated on 4 Aug 1946

Assignments

Components

  • 788th Bombardment Squadron (X7), 1 Aug 1943-4 Aug 1946
  • 789th Bombardment Squadron (6A), 1 Aug 1943-4 Aug 1946
  • 790th Bombardment Squadron (Q2), 1 Aug 1943-4 Aug 1946
  • 791st Bombardment Squadron (4Z), 1 Aug 1943-4 Aug 1946

Stations

Aircraft

Operations

Consolidated B-24J-65-CF Liberator Serial 44-10600 of the 788th Bomb Squadron
Ford B-24H-25-FO Liberator Serial 42-95234 "Weiser Witch" of the 788th Bomb Squadron. This aircraft crash landed at RAF Bungay on May 5, 1945 after fire in the nose.

Activated 1 August 1943 at Wendover AAFd, Utah. The unit assembled at Mountain Home AAfd, Idaho, from 8 September 1943 to mid October 1943. Temporarily based at Kearns Field, Utah, before detailed to training at Wendover Field on the 1st November 1943. On the 12th of February 1944 the ground unit went by train to Camp Shanks, NY. They sailed on the USAT Frederick Lykes on the 28th February 1944 and arrived in Clyde on the 10th of March 1944. The aircraft left Wendover on the 12th of February 1944 and took the southern Atlantic ferry route. One B-24 was lost with all the crew over the Atlas mountains. Moved to RAF Rackheath, Norfolk in England, February–March 1944, and assigned to Eighth Air Force. The group was assigned to the 96th Combat Bombardment Wing, and the group tail code was a "Circle-P".

The 467th began operations on April 10, 1944 with an attack by thirty aircraft on an airfield at Bourges in central France. In combat, the unit served chiefly as a strategic bombardment organization, attacking the harbor at Kiel, chemical plants at Bonn, textile factories at Stuttgart, power plants at Hamm, steel works at Osnabruck, the aircraft industry at Brunswick, and other objectives.

In addition to strategic operations, engaged occasionally in support and interdictory missions. Bombed shore installations and bridges near Cherbourg on D-Day, June 6, 1944. Struck enemy troop and supply concentrations near Montreuil on July 25, 1944 to assist the Allied drive across France.

In September, over two weeks the bombers flew gasoline from Rackheath to a forward base at Clastres France for use by the US mechanized forces. Attacked German communications and fortifications during the Battle of the Bulge, December 1944 – January 1945. Hit enemy transportation to assist the Allied assault across the Rhine in March 1945.

Redeployed to the US June/July 1945. The air echelon departed Rackheath on the 12th of June of 1945. The ground units sailed from Greenock on the Queen Mary on the 6th of July 1945. They arrived in New York on the 11th of July 1945. The 467th was redesignated as the 467th Bombardment Group (Very Heavy) in August and re-equipped with B-29 Superfortresses in preparation for the planned invasion of Japan. With the end of the war in September, the group was assigned to Strategic Air Command on March 21, 1946. The 467th was deactivated on August 4, 1946.

References

PD-icon.svg This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Freeman, Roger A. Airfields of the Eighth: Then and Now. After the Battle, 1978. ISBN 0-90091-309-6.
  • Freeman, Roger A. The Mighty Eighth: The Colour Record. Cassell & Co., 1991. ISBN 0-304-35708-1.
  • Maurer, Maurer. Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History, 1983. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
  • Watts, Perry. The 467th Bombardment Group (H) in World War II: in Combat with the B-24 Liberator over Europe. Atglen, Pennsylvania: Schiffer Publishing, 2006. ISBN 0-76432-165-X.

External links


Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message