The Full Wiki

482d Operations Group: Wikis

Advertisements
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

482d Operations Group
482doperationsgroup-emblem.jpg
Emblem of the 482d Operations Group
Active 1943-1945; 1947-1949; 1952; 1955-1957; 1992-Present
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
General Dynamics Block 30D F-16Cs of the 93d Fighter Squadron over Biscayne Bay, Florida. Identifiable is F-16C AF Serial No. 86-0267.

The 482d Operations Group (482 OG) is a United States Air Force Reserve unit assigned to the 482d Fighter Wing. It is stationed at Homestead Joint Air Reserve Base, Florida, and is a direct successor to the 482nd Bombardment Group.

During World War II, the group was organized and activated as the 482nd Bombardment Group (Pathfinder), the only Eighth Air Force radar-equipped "pathfinder" heavy bomber group. Its B-17 Flying Fortress and B-24 Liberator aircraft were equipped with first generation radar to guide other bombardment groups to targets obscured by cloud cover over Occupied Europe and Nazi Germany ("blind bombing").

Contents

Overview

The mission of the 482nd Operations Group (Tail Code: FM) is to train and equip reservists to respond to wartime and peacetime taskings as directed by higher headquarters. The group specifically trains for: Mobility, Deployment, and Employment.

Components

The operational squadron of the 482 OG is the 93d Fighter Squadron "Makos" (F-16C)

History

For additional history and lineage, see 482d Fighter Wing
Advertisements

Lineage

  • Established as 482 Bombardment Group (Pathfinder) on 10 Aug 1943
Activated on 20 Aug 1943
Redesignated 482 Bombardment Group, Heavy on 11 Nov 1944
Inactivated on 1 Sep 1945
  • Redesignated 482 Bombardment Group, Very Heavy on 3 Jun 1947
Activated in the Reserve on 26 Jun 1947
Inactivated on 27 Jun 1949
  • Redesignated 482 Troop Carrier Group, Medium on 26 May 1952
Activated in the Reserve on 14 Jun 1952
Inactivated on 1 Dec 1952
  • Redesignated 482 Fighter-Bomber Group on 12 Aug 1955
Activated in the Reserve on 18 May 1955
Inactivated on 16 Nov 1957
  • Redesignated: 482 Tactical Fighter Group on 31 Jul 1985 (Remained inactive)
  • Redesignated: 482 Operations Group on 1 Aug 1992
Activated in the Reserve on 1 Aug 1992.

Assignments

Components

  • 6th Bombardment Squadron: 30 Sep 1947-27 Jun 1949
  • 93d Fighter Squadron: 1 Aug 1992-Present
  • 812th Bombardment Squadron (MI): 20 Aug 1943-1 Sep 1945; 9 Sep 1947-27 Jun 1949; 14 Jun-1 Dec 1952; 18 May 1955-16 Nov 1957.
  • 813th Bombardment Squadron (PC): 20 Aug 1943-1 Sep 1945; 24 Sep 1947-27 Jun 1949; 14 Jun-1 Dec 1952; 8 Jul-16 Nov 1957
  • 814th Bombardment Squadron (SI): 20 Aug 1943-1 Sep 1945; 9 Sep 1947-27 Jun 1949; 14 Jun-1 Dec 1952.

Stations

Temporarily assigned to: Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio, Sep-Dec 1992
Temporarily assigned to MacDill AFB, Florida, Feb 1993-Mar 1994

Aircraft assigned

  • B-17, 1943-1945
  • B-24, 1943-1945
  • C-46, 1952
  • F-80, 1955
  • F-84, 1955-1957
  • T-28, 1955-1957
  • T-33, 1955-1957
  • F-86, 1957
  • C-119, 1957
  • F-16, 1992-Present

Operational History

World War II

482d Bomb Group B-24s from RAF Alconbury England on bomb run over occupied Europe - 1943

In the summer of 1943, the Eighth Air Force conducted experiments with radar for high-altitude bombing through clouds. A special organization, the 482d Bombardment Group (Pathfinder), was formed to use this technology and be devoted to pathfinder techniques using the H2S and H2X (APS-15) radars.

The 482nd Bomb Group was formed at RAF Alconbury on August 20, 1943, under the command of Lt Col Baskin R. Lawrence, who had been training its 92d BG cadre since May 1. The 812th Bomb Squadron arrived from the United States in September with 12 new B-17 aircraft equipped with U.S. manufactured H2S radar. The 813th was a re-designation of the325th Bomb Squadron, 92d Bomb Group, which had been training since may in B-17s equipped with British-manufactured H2S and Oboe sets. The 814th flew B-24 Liberator aircraft acquired from a disbanded anti-submarine warfare group. The 482d Group was one of two Eighth Air Force groups activated overseas (the other being the 25th Bomb Group (Reconnaissance)).

The 482d BG provided a force of radar-equipped aircraft that preceded bomber formations flying from England to Germany and indicated targets such as airfields, submarine installations, and marshalling yards obscured by weather. Eight Air Force dubbed the group with the modifier "Pathfinder" because of its similarity of mission in locating and designating obscured targets that was also the mission of the Pathfinder Force (PFF) of the Royal Air Force.

The 482d BG provided lead aircraft for other bomb groups throughout the winter of 1943/44. As lead aircraft, 482 BG B-17s and B-24s usually flew missions from stations of other groups with some key personnel of the host group flying in the pathfinder aircraft. The group earned a Distinguished Unit Citation for 11 Jan 1944 mission leading Eighth Air Force bombers to targets such as aircraft factories in central Germany. Although weather prevented effective fighter protection against enemy aircraft, the group bombed assigned targets and destroyed many enemy airplanes. Individual aircraft and crews led Eighth Air Force elements on attacks against factories at Gotha, Brunswick, Schweinfurt, and other German industrial centers during Big Week, 20-25 Feb.

The 482d BG was transferred to Composite Command in February 1944 when emphasis shifted to training radar operators. The 482d began an H2X training school on February 21, 1944, initially using RAF instructors. It graduated a class of 36 radar navigators each month, as the PFF was decentralized first to the air divisions and then to the combat groups, where each assigned one squadron to be its PFF unit. Training and experimentation remained the chief role of the 482nd BG for the remainder of war.

In March 1944, the 482d BG was daken off combat operations and became a development unit for various radar devices in addition to its training function, but continued to undertake special operations. With radar, photographed parts of France, the Low Countries, and Germany for training and briefing combat crews. While on experimental flights, often bombed bridges, fuel depots, power plants, and railroad stations. On 6 Jun, it provided 18 crews to lead bomb groups in support of the Allied invasion of Normandy, on pathfinder missions to bomb coastal defenses and attacks on traffic centers behind the beachhead.

From August 1944 to April 1945 the 482d BG conducted 202 radar scope and 'pickling' sorties over hostile territory without loss, dropping 45 tons of bombs in Nazi controlled territory. In November, 1944, the group was re-designated as the 482d Bomb Group (Heavy).

Redeployed to the US in May 1945. The aircraft departed between 27-30 May 1945. The ground unit sailed on the Queen Elizabeth from Gourock on 24 June 1945. The group re-established at Victorville AAF, Ca. on 5 July 1945, but inactivated on 1 September 1945

Cold War

Trained in the Reserve as a heavy bombardment group, Jun 1947-Jun 1949; as a troop carrier group, Jun-Dec 1952; and as a fighter-bomber group flying various fighter and trainer aircraft, May 1955-Nov 1957. From Aug 1992 controlled the 482nd Fighter Wing's flying and aerial port operations.

Modern era

When Hurricane Andrew devastated Homestead later that month, flying operations moved to Wright-Patterson AFB, Sep-Dec 1992 and to MacDill AFB, Feb 1993-Mar 1994, before returning to Homestead.

References

PD-icon.svg This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0892010924.

External links


Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message