The Full Wiki

508th Aerospace Sustainment Wing: Wikis

Advertisements
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

508th Aerospace Sustainment Wing
508 ASW.jpg
Obsolete 508th Aircraft Sustainment Wing emblem
Active
Country United States
Branch Air Force
Type Aircraft Support
Part of Air Force Material Command
Garrison/HQ Hill Air Force Base

The 508th Aerospace Sustainment Wing (508 ASW) is a wing of the United States Air Force based out of Hill Air Force Base, Utah.

Contents

Mission

The 508 ASW provides sustainment of existing systems as well as the acquisition of new and improved airpower capabilities. It was activated as the 508th Aircraft Sustainment Wing, but was redesignated in 2007, when the 526th ICBM Systems Group was placed under its control.

Subordinate organizations

  • 526th ICBM Systems Group
  • 508th Fighter Sustainment Group (508 FSG)
  • 558th Aircraft Sustainment Group (558 ACSG) formerly the 508th Mature Aircraft and Simulator Sustainment Group (508 MASSG)
  • 508th Attack Sustainment Squadron

History

Advertisements

Lineage

  • Constituted as 508th Fighter Group on October 5, 1944
Activated on October 12, 1944
Inactivated on November 25, 1945.
  • Established as 508th Fighter-Escort Wing on June 19, 1952.
Activated on July 1, 1952.
Redesignated 508th Strategic Fighter Wing on January 20, 1953.
Inactivated on May 11, 1956
  • Redesignated 508th Aerospace Sustainment Wing in 2007.
Activated 2007

Bases Assigned

Commands

Operational History

World War II

The 508th Fighter Group was constituted on October 5, 1944 and activated on October 12 at Peterson Field, Colorado. The group trained with P-47 Thunderbolt aircraft to provide very-long-range escort for B-29 Superfortress bombardment units in the Pacific Theater.

The lack of significant Japanese fighter defense by late 1944 caused a change of mission and the group was reassigned to Seventh Air Force in Hawaii in January 1945 and served as part of the defense force for the islands. In Hawaii, the group also trained replacement pilots for other organizations, repaired P-47's and P-51's received from combat units, and ferried aircraft to forward areas.

The unit was inactivated in Hawaii on November 25, 1945 when it replaced by the 15th Fighter Group.

Cold War

508sfw.gif

The 508th Fighter-Escort Wing was activated by Strategic Air Command in 1952. It's mission was to provide fighter escort for B-29 and B-50, and later B-36 intercontinental bombers. The Strategic Air Command was founded by men who had flown bombing raids against Germany during World War II. They usually encountered swarms of enemy fighters and knew the importance of having fighter escorts.

Advances in technology soon made fighter-escort wings obsolete. A single atomic bomb had more explosive power than all the bombs dropped during all of World War II, so only one of them could certainly destroy a target far more effectively than the large mass formations of World War II B-17s and B-24s. Thus SAC's missions were based on the use of an individual airplane, not a formation of them.

During its first postwar decade (1945–1955), SAC flew many B-29s left over from the war and later propeller-driven B-50s and B-36s. They were soon replaced by new jet bombers, the B-47 and B-52. The jet bombers flew so fast and so high that they were virtually immune from fighters. Plus the early jet F-84s and F-86s in SAC's fighter inventory couldn't keep up with them. The fighter-escort wings were no longer necessary, so they were either inactivated or assigned to other commands.

The wing deployed at Misawa AB, Japan, with the 319th Air Division to provide air defense, Feb~May 1953 and Feb~May 1954.

It was inactivated on May 11, 1956.

Battermix information

508th Fighter Escort Wing

  • Established on: 19 June 1952.
  • Activated on: 1 July 1952.
  • At: Turner AFB, GA
  • Assigned to: Strategic Air Command, Second Air Force, 40th Air Division.
  • Equipment: F-84s.
  • Redesignated on: 20 January 1952 as 508th Strategic Fighter Wing.

508th Strategic Fighter Wing

  • Redesignated on: 20 January 1952.
  • At: Turner AFB, GA.
  • Assigned to: Second Air Force, 40th Air Division, (Attached to 319th Air Division (Defense) from 8 February to 13 May 1953), (Attached to 319th Air Division (Defense) from 12 February to 7 May 1954).
  • Equipment: F-84s, KB-29s.

Strategic fighter operations training and aerial refueling, 1953-1956.

References

  • Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0892010924.
  • Ravenstein, Charles A. (1984). Air Force Combat Wings Lineage and Honors Histories 1947–1977. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0912799129.

External links


Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message