The Full Wiki

Academy of Fine Arts Vienna: Wikis

Advertisements
  
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The main entrance to the Akademie der bildenden Künste on Schillerplatz
Anatomical room of the Akademie

The Academy of Fine Arts Vienna (German: Akademie der bildenden Künste Wien) is an institution of higher education in Vienna, Austria.

Contents

History

The Academy of Fine Arts Vienna was founded in 1692 as a private academy by the court-painter Peter Strudl, who became the Praefectus Academiae Nostrae. In 1701 he was ennobled as Baron of the Empire. With his death in 1714, the academy temporarily closed.

On 20 January 1725, Emperor Karl VI appointed the Frenchman Jacob van Schuppen as Prefect and Director of the Academy, which was refounded as the k.k. Hofakademie der Maler, Bildhauer und Baukunst (Imperial and Royal Court Academy of painters, sculptors and architecture). During the rule of Empress Maria Theresa, a new statute reformed the academy in 1751. The prestige of the academy grew, and in 1767 Archduchesses Charlotte Karoline and the archduchess Maria Anna were made the first Honorary Members of the Academy.

In 1772, there were further reforms to the organisational structure. Chancellor Kuntz integrated all existing art schools into the k.k. vereinigten Akademie der bildenden Künste (Imperial and Royal Unified Academy of Fine Arts). The word "vereinigten" (unified) was later dropped.

In 1872 Emperor Franz Joseph I approved a statute making the academy the supreme government authority for the arts. A new building was constructed by Theophil Freiherr von Hansen during the building of the Ringstraße. On April 1, 1877, the new building at the Schillerplatz was inaugurated, where it remains today.

In 1907 and 1908, a prospective student from Linz, Austria by the name of Adolf Hitler was twice denied admission to this Academy for Art Studies. He stayed in Vienna and tried unsuccessfully to continue his profession as an artist. Soon he had withdrawn into poverty and started selling amateur paintings, mostly watercolours, for meagre sustenance until the outbreak of the First World War.

During the Nazi Occupation from 1938-1945, the academy was forced to heavily reduce its number of Jewish staff. After World War II, the academy was reconstituted in 1955 and its autonomy reconfirmed. It has had university status since 1998, but retained its original name. It is currently the only Austrian university that doesn't have the word "university" in its name.

Structure

The academy is divided into the following institutes:

  • Institute for Fine Arts, which houses three departments for painting, drawing, visual arts, media, sculpture.
  • Institute for Art Theory and Cultural Studies (art theory, philosophy, history);
  • Institute for Conservation and Restoration;
  • Institute for Natural Sciences and Technologies in Art;
  • Institute for Secondary School Teaching Degrees (craft, design, textile arts);
  • Institute for Art and Architecture.

The Academy currently has about 900 students, almost a quarter of which are foreign students. Its faculty includes "stars" such as Peter Sloterdijk. Its library houses approx. 110,000 volumes and its "etching cabinet" (Kupferstichkabinett) has about 150,000 drawings and prints. The collection is one of the biggest in Austria, and is used for academic purposes, although portions are also open to the general public.

Famous graduates

Advertisements

Other students and professors

  • Paul Troger (1698 - 1762)
  • Franz Christoph Janneck (1703 - 1761)
  • Johann Georg Platzer (1704 - 1761)
  • Franz Anton Maulbertsch (1724 - 1796)
  • Franz Xaver Kirchebner (1736 - 1815)
  • Karel Postl (1769 - 1818)
  • Matthäus Loder (1781 - 1828)
  • Franz Xaver Petter (1791 - 1866)
  • Thomas Ender (1793 - 1875)
  • Joseph Edward von Gillern (1794 - 1845)
  • Eduard Gurk (1801 - 1841)
  • Albert Zimmermann (1808 - 1888)
  • Rudolf von Alt (1812 - 1905)
  • Andreas Lach (1817 - 1882)
  • Emanuel Stöckler (1819 - 1893)
  • Friedrich von Schmidt (1825 - 1891)
  • Anselm Feuerbach (1829 - 1880), professor (1873)
  • August Eisenmenger (1830 - 1907), student, since 1872 professor
  • Otto Wagner (1841 - 1918)
  • Ferdinand Demetz (1842 - 1902)
  • Franz Tavella (1844 - 1931)
  • Anton Hlavaček (1842 - 1926)
  • Rodolphe Ernst (1854 - 1932)
  • Hans Bitterlich (1860 - 1949)
  • Franz Baumgartner (1876 - 1946)
  • Alois Arnegger (1879 - 1963)
  • Clemens Holzmeister (1886 - 1983)
  • Kamil Hilbert (1891 - 1895)
  • Edwin Grienauer (1893 - 1964)
  • Kurt Weiss (1895 - 1966)
  • Caspar Neher (1897 - 1962)
  • Hans Knesl (1905 - 1971)
  • Karl Nieschlag (1909 - 1975)
  • Roland Rainer (1910 - 2004)
  • Heinz Leinfellner (1911 - 1974)
  • Lucas Suppin (1911 - 1998)
  • Ludwig Merwart (1913 - 1979)
  • Joannis Avramidis (born 1922)
  • Gerhard Swoboda (1923 - 1974)
  • August Stimpfl (born 1924)
  • Friedensreich Hundertwasser (1928 - 2000)
  • Gustav Peichl (born 1928)
  • Anton Lehmden (born 1929)
  • Ernst Fuchs (born 1930)
  • Timo Penttilä (born 1931)
  • Andreas Urteil (1933 - 1963)
  • Adi Holzer (born 1936)
  • Harun Farocki (born 1944)
  • Erich Wonder (born 1944)
  • Reinhard Puch (born 1947)
  • Gottfried Helnwein (born 1948)
  • Manfred Deix (born 1949)
  • Sepp Nordegg (1913 - 1984)
  • Andrea Maria Dusl (born 1961)
  • Daniel Richter (born 1962)
  • Martin Kohlbauer (born 1956)
  • Hans Scheirl (born 1956)
  • Gunter Damisch (born 1958)
  • Erwin Bohatsch (born 1951)
  • Diedrich Diederichsen (born 1957)

External links

Coordinates: 48°12′05″N 16°21′55″E / 48.20139°N 16.36528°E / 48.20139; 16.36528


Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message