|Audubon Terrace Historic District|
|U.S. National Register of Historic Places|
|U.S. Historic District|
|Location:||Broadway, between West 155th and West 156th Streets, New York, New York|
|Architect:||Charles Pratt Huntington|
|Architectural style(s):||Beaux Arts|
|Added to NRHP:||May 30, 1980|
Audubon Terrace, also known as Audubon Terrace Historic District, is a landmark complex of approximately eight early 20th century Beaux Arts buildings in New York City. Home to several different cultural institutions, the various architecturally complementary buildings, which take up most of a city block, are arranged in two parallel rows facing each other across a common east / west pedestrian plaza. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The original residents of Audubon Terrace included the American Geographical Society, the American Numismatic Society, the Museum of the American Indian-Heye Foundation, the Hispanic Society of America, the American Academy of Arts and Letters and the Church of Our Lady of Esperanza. The first three organizations have since moved, and the Hispanic Society has been considering a move to larger quarters downtown since 2006. Boricua College, a private bilingual college, has since occupied the former building of the American Geographical Society, the easternmost building on the north side of the plaza.
The Hispanic Society maintains a library and a museum with an important collection of art and artifacts from the Iberian peninsula, as well as from Central and South America. It is normally open daily except Mondays. The American Academy of Arts and Letters exhibits to the public occasionally, usually twice each year.
Audubon Terrace is located west of Broadway, bounded by West 155th and West 156th Streets, in the Washington Heights neighborhood of upper Manhattan, New York City, New York, United States. It is directly across 155th Street from Trinity Church Cemetery. Although a subway station is one block away, its location considerably north of midtown has resulted in a perceived detriment to easy access for visitors, especially those from out of town.
Named for naturalist and artist John James Audubon, on whose former land the complex sits, and who is buried across the street, Audubon Terrace was commissioned by railroad heir and philanthropist Archer M. Huntington in 1907. Among the well-known architects who designed the buildings were Cass Gilbert, Stanford White, and Charles Pratt Huntington. Huntington designed the original buildings, housing the Hispanic Society, American Geographical Society, Museum of the American Indian, and American Numismatic Society. The two buildings housing the Academy of Arts and Letters were completed in 1923 and 1930, respectively. A large equestrian statue of the legendary Spanish knight El Cid, located in the plaza in front of the Hispanic Society, was sculpted by Archer Huntington’s wife, Anna Hyatt Huntington in 1927.
Audubon Terrace was designated the “Audubon Terrace Historic District” by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission on January 9, 1979. It was listed on the U.S. National Register in 1980.