|Aurora, Elgin & Fox River Electric|
|Locale||Fox River Valley|
|Closed||1972, except for museum operations|
|Owner||Fox River Trolley Association, Inc.|
|Line length||1923: 40 miles; 2009: 2 miles|
|Track gauge||4 ft 8½ in (1,435 mm) (standard gauge)|
|Operating speed||1923: 45 miles an hour; 2009: 20 miles an hour|
The Aurora Elgin & Fox River Electric (AE&FRE), was an interurban railroad that operated freight and passenger service on its line paralleling the Fox River serving the communities of Yorkville, Montgomery, Aurora, North Aurora, Batavia, Geneva, St. Charles, South Elgin, Illinois, Elgin, Dundee, and Carpentersville in the US state of Illinois. It also operated local streetcar lines in both Aurora and Elgin.
Predecessor companies opened service in 1895 between Carpentersville and Elgin; in 1896 between Elgin and St. Charles and Aurora and Geneva; in 1899 between Aurora and Yorkville; and in 1901 between St. Charles and Geneva. In the era 1901-1906 it was known as the Elgin, Aurora & Southern Traction Company.
Service typically operated on one-hour headways between Elgin and Aurora, with connecting service between Carpentersville and Elgin, and between Aurora and Montgomery.
The EA&S merged with the Aurora Elgin & Chicago Railway in 1906 and became the new Aurora Elgin & Chicago Railroad's Fox River Division. The company was separated by order of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in 1923, when the Fox River Division assumed the AE&FRE name, and the rest of the AE&C (the Third Rail Division) became the Chicago Aurora and Elgin Railroad. Passenger service ended March 31, 1935, except on a short stretch of track shared with the CA&E in St. Charles and Geneva, where passenger service ended December 31, 1937. Freight service continued on a three-mile stretch of the line between Coleman Yard and the Elgin State Hospital, under electric power until 1947 and by diesel 1947-1972. At that time, the remnant of the line was sold to its current museum operators. Rail remaining between the current museum site in South Elgin and the State Hospital was removed in 1978.