Earl of Yarborough is a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. It was created in 1837 for Charles Anderson-Pelham, 2nd Baron Yarborough. The Anderson-Pelham family descends from Francis Anderson of Manby, Lincolnshire. He married Mary, daughter of Charles Pelham of Brocklesby, Lincolnshire. Their grandson Charles Anderson assumed the additional surname of Pelham and represented Beverley and Lincolnshire in the House of Commons. In 1794 he was created Baron Yarborough, of Yarborough in the County of Lincoln, in the Peerage of Great Britain.
He was succeeded by his son, the second Baron. He sat as Member of Parliament for Great Grimsby and for Lincolnshire. Lord Yarborough married Henrietta Anne Maria Charlotte Bridgeman (d. 1813), daughter of the Hon. John Simpson and Henrietta Francis, daughter of Sir Thomas Worsley, 6th Baronet, of Appuldurcombe (a title which became extinct in 1825; see Worsley Baronets). Through this marriage Appuldurcombe House on the Isle of Wight, which had previously been in the Worsley family, came into the Anderson-Pelham family (however, it was sold already in 1855). In 1837 Yarborough was created Baron Worsley, of Appuldurcombe on the Isle of Wight, and Earl of Yarborough, in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. He was succeeded by his son, the second Earl. He represented Newport, Isle of Wight, Lincolnshire and North Lincolnshire in Parliament and served as Lord Lieutenant of Lincolnshire. Lord Yarborough is also remembered for giving his name to the bridge term the "Yarborough hand". His son, the third Earl, was Member of Parliament for Great Grimsby.
On his early death the titles passed to his son, the fourth Earl. He held office in the second Conservative administration of Lord Salisbury as Captain of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen-at-Arms from 1890 to 1892 and was also Lord Lieutenant of Lincolnshire. In 1905 he assumed by Royal license for himself and issue the surname and arms of Pelham only in 1905. Lord Yarborough married the Hon. Marcia Lane-Fox, daughter of Sackville George Lane-Fox, 15th Baron Darcy de Knayth and 12th Baron Conyers. The baronies of Darcy de Knayth and Conyers fell into abeyance on the latter's death in 1888. However, in 1892 the barony of Conyers was called out of abeyance in favour of Marcia, who became the thirteenth Baron Conyers in her own right. In 1903 the ancient barony of Fauconberg, which had been in abeyance since 1463, was also called out in her favour and she became the seventh Baroness Fauconberg as well.
Both Lord and Lady Yarborough were succeeded in their respective titles by their second but eldest surviving son, the fifth Earl. He had no sons and on his death in 1948 the baronies of Conyers and Fauconberg fell into abeyance between his two daughters Lady Diana Mary and Lady June Wendy (they remain so to this date). He was succeeded in the other titles by his younger brother, the sixth Earl. As of 2009 the peerages are held by the latter's grandson, the eighth Earl, who succeeded his father in 1991.
Caistor Yarborough School in Caistor, Lincolnshire was named in memorial to John Edward Pelham, 7th Earl of Yarborough and is located less than a mile away from the Brocklesby House estate. A number of public places, roads and buildings in Lincolnshire are named after the Yarborough title, particularly in Grimsby, where the family were particularly prominent political figures. One of the most well known sites is the Yarborough Hotel, built in 1851 and now a pub owned by J. D. Wetherspoon. There was also an area in Grimsby called Yarborough, until it was absorbed into the conurbation of Grimsby & Cleethorpes and there continues to be a Yarborough Estate in the town, which is currently undergoing extensive re-development.
Another member of this family was Sir Stephen Anderson, 1st Baronet, of Eyworth. He was the brother of Francis Anderson, grandfather of the first Baron Yarborough.
The Heir Apparent is the present holder's son George John Sackville Pelham, Lord Worsley (b. 1990)