Barton-upon-Humber shown within Lincolnshire
|OS grid reference|
|Unitary authority||North Lincolnshire|
|Region||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|List of places: UK • England • Lincolnshire|
Barton-upon-Humber or Barton is a small town in North Lincolnshire, England located on the south bank of the Humber Estuary, and at the end of the Humber Bridge. It lies 46 miles (74 km) east of Leeds, 6 miles (10 km) southwest of Hull and 31 miles (50 km) north northeast of the county town of Lincoln. Formerly an important centre for the manufacture of bicycles, Hopper's Cycles being established in the town in 1880 in the Hopper Building. Other nearby towns include Scunthorpe to the southwest and Grimsby to the southeast.
The town is the northern terminus at Barton station of a branch line (Barton - Cleethorpes), opened in 1849, from Grimsby and Cleethorpes. Services are provided by Northern Rail. The A15 passes to the west of the town cutting through the Beacon Hill, and has a junction with the A1077 Ferriby Road. The B1218 passes north-south through the town, and leads to Barton Waterside eventually. Kimberly-Clark have a factory on Falkland Way close to the railway, which is known to them as their Barton Plant. This area is known as the Humber Bridge Industrial Estate.
The town is known for its Saxon church tower of St Peter's, and there have been many Saxon archaeological finds within the town. The former church was reopened in May 2007 as a centre for medical research into the development of diseases, and ossuary, containing the bones and skeletons of some 3,750 people whose remains were removed between 1978 and 1984 from the 1,000 year old burial site, after the Church of England made the church redundant in 1972.
There are two churches in Barton-upon-Humber, St Peter's and St Mary's. They are located only several feet apart, leading to speculation about the reasons for their close location. The reason was that at the time they were built, the churches served two separate villages that later merged to form Barton-upon-Humber.
Baysgarth School is a in-comprehensive school for ages 11–18 on Barrow Road. There are also three primary schools, St Peter's Church of England, on Marsh Lane, the Castledyke Primary School (was Barton County School) on the B1218, and the Bowmandale primary school in the south of the town. Barton Grammar School, which opened in 1931, used to be on Caistor Road. Henry Treece, the poet, taught at the school.
The Carnival is a pub with live music on Tofts Road to the south of the town. Other town pubs are the Wheatsheaf on Holydyke (A1077), the George Hotel on George Street, the Blue Bell on Whitecross Street, Queen's on Queen Street, the Red Lion on High Street, the White Swan on Butts Road, The Victory Club on Hungate, Sloop Inn on Waterside Road, Charlie's on Fleetgate, Volunteer Arms on Whitecross Street, and The Old Mill and Conservative Club in the Market Place. The Ropewalk is an arts centre on Maltkiln Road.
The North Lincolnshire and Humberside Sailing Club is at Barton Mere on the Humber to the east of Barton Waterside. It uses a former clay pit. The clay was used to make bricks at a former brickworks on the Humber foreshore from 1703. Towards the bridge is the £5.6m Water's Edge Park, with a visitor centre which opened in April 2006. The park is a home for wildfowl. Far Ings Nature Reserve is to the west of the Humber Bridge, which is run by the Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust.
Famous residents have included: Isaac Pitman, inventor of the eponymous shorthand method; Samuel Wilderspin, pioneer of infant education; and currently Ken H. Harrison, the artist who draws Desperate Dan. Jamie Cann, MP for Ipswich 1992-2001 went to the grammar school. Chad Varah, founder of the Samaritans was born in the town and was named after the church of St Chad on Waterside Road, of which his father, William Edward Varah, was the vicar. The church, and neighbouring primary school, were demolished in 1993.
The Right Rev. Peter D. Robinson (b.1969) - Suffragan Bishop of the United Episcopal Church of North America grew up on Barton Waterside Barton-upon-Humber and was educated at Baysgarth School. He married Denise Krogh in the former Providence Chapel on Chapel Lane. He is now Rector of Prescott, Arizona.
Frank Barton was born 22 October 1947 in Barton-upon-Humber. He played for a string of English clubs during the 1960s and 1970s including Bournemouth and Carlisle before moving to the U.S to play for Seattle Sounders in 1979.
Barton, Maryland, United States The Reverend William Shaw of Barton-upon-Humber, a Methodist minister settled on the site of Barton, Maryland in 1794. His son, William Shaw Jr. laid out the town in 1853, naming it for his father's hometown.