From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Burlesque is an upcoming American contemporary musical film directed and written by Steve Antin starring Christina Aguilera and Cher.
Ali (Christina Aguilera) is a small-town girl with a big voice who escapes hardship and an uncertain future to follow her dreams to Los Angeles. After stumbling upon The Burlesque Lounge, a majestic but ailing theater that is home to an inspired musical revue, Ali lands a job as a cocktail waitress from Tess (Cher), the club’s proprietor and headliner. Burlesque’s outrageous costumes and bold choreography enrapture the young ingenue, who vows to perform there one day.
Soon enough, Ali builds a friendship with a featured dancer (Julianne Hough), finds an enemy in a troubled, jealous performer (Kristen Bell), and garners the affection of a bartender and fellow musician (Cam Gigandet). With the help of a sharp-witted stage manager (Stanley Tucci) and gender-bending host (Alan Cumming), Ali makes her way from the bar to the stage. Her spectacular voice restores The Burlesque Lounge to its former glory, though not before a charismatic entrepreneur (Eric Dane) arrives with an enticing proposal.
The script was written with Christina Aguilera in mind as the lead. Screen Gems' president Clint Culpepper was able to get Cher on board.
Christina Aguilera will make her theatrical film and musical debut as the leading character, a "small-town girl with a big voice", who finds work at a Los Angeles neo-burlesque club, inspired by Bob Fosse's Cabaret. Burlesque started shooting on November 9, 2009 and ended on March 3, 2010.
Cher is also set to co-star in this film, her first starring role in a decade and first musical film. She plays Tess, a former dancer who struggles to keep the nightclub open and serves as a mentor to Christina Aguilera's character, Ali. Aguilera's love interest will be played by Cam Gigandet, and Stanley Tucci has been cast as the nightclub's manager. Alan Cumming, Kristen Bell, Eric Dane, and Julianne Hough have all signed on to the film as well.
Antin wrote the script, which was later revised and edited by Susannah Grant.
- Costume design: Michael Kaplan and Lynda Foote
- Choreography: Denise Faye, Joey Pizzi and JaQuel Knight
- Cinematography: Bojan Bazelli
- Graphic design: Trey Shaffer
Singer-songwriter Sia Furler has worked with Aguilera on a song for the film. Record producer Danja has also been working on songs for the film. Tricky Stewart has announced that he worked on the production of the songs. Songwriter Claude Kelly confirmed he co-wrote three songs for the movie.
- ^ a b Fleming, Michael (2009-06-22). "Cher joining Aguilera in 'Burlesque'". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118005247.html?categoryId=16&cs=1. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- ^ Morgan, Sal (2010-03-05). "Behind the scenes of Christina Aguilera's Burlesque movie". Novafm.com. http://www.novafm.com.au/Audio_Behind-the-scenes-of-Christina-Aguilera-s-Burlesque-movie_96541. Retrieved 2010-03-05.
- ^ a b c d Siegel, Tatiana (2009-11-17). "Eric Dane buys ticket for 'Burlesque'". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118011504.html?categoryid=13&cs=1. Retrieved 2010-01-05.
- ^ Fleming, Michael (2009-09-23). "Stanley Tucci goes 'Burlesque'". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118009080.html?categoryid=1238&cs=1. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- ^ Kit, Borys (2009-10-08). "Kristen Bell cast in 'Burlesque'". The Hollywood Reporter. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i731d7f0f9e7e4ab1d4d354dbf4f72b4d. Retrieved 2009-10-08.
- ^ Kroll, Justin (2009-10-21). "Alan Cumming". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118010801.html?categoryId=28&cs=1. Retrieved 2009-10-23.
- ^ Eng, Joyce (2009-12-14). "Julianne Hough Grooves On With New Projects". Tv Guide. http://www.tvguide.com/News/Julianne-Hough-Grooves-1013110.aspx. Retrieved 2010-01-05.
- ^ Potempa, Philip (2009-12-16). "Peter Gallagher/ Hershey Felder ideal duo for Drury Lane Water Tower stage". The Times of Northwest Indiana. http://nwitimes.com/entertainment/columnists/offbeat/article_2b49ed85-96b4-50fc-a896-695656f00886.html. Retrieved 2010-01-05.
- ^ Becky, Bain (2010-01-21). ""Glee" Star Dianna Agron Joins Christina Aguilera And Cher In "Burlesque"". Idolator.com. http://idolator.com/5374782/glee-star-dianna-agron-joins-christina-aguilera-and-cher-in-burlesque. Retrieved 2010-01-24.
- ^ a b Fleming, Michael (2009-05-04). "Christina Aguilera going 'Burlesque'". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118003172.html?categoryid=16&cs=1. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- ^ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1126591/business
- ^ Fleming, Michael (2007-10-15). "Screen Gems enlists Antin for 'Burlesque'". Variety. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117974104.html?categoryid=13&cs=1. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- ^ Gordon, Sandra (2009-09-24). "Danja Handz Talks Working With Whitney". Billboard. http://www.billboard.com/news/danja-handz-talks-working-with-whitney-jay-1004015752.story#/news/danja-handz-talks-working-with-whitney-jay-1004015752.story. Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- ^ "Tricky Stewart scores Christina Aguilera's film debut". Rap-up.com. 2009-10-06. http://www.rap-up.com/2009/10/06/tricky-stewart-scores-christina-aguileras-film-debut/#more-28186. Retrieved 2010-01-05.
- ^ Brown, Janice (2010-02-10). "Studio Beast in the Hot Seat: Claude Kelly On How To Write Hit Songs". Sonicscoop.com. http://www.sonicscoop.com/?p=3528. Retrieved 2010-02-13.