The Full Wiki

CFS Bermuda: Wikis


Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Canadian Forces Station Bermuda, commonly shortened to CFS Bermuda, was a Canadian Forces Station in Bermuda that was operational from 1944 until 1992.


NRS Bermuda

The Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) established a temporary training base in Bermuda during the latter part of World War II. From 1944 to 1945, the RCN operated from Convict's Bay, St. George's, Bermuda using a shore facility named HMCS Somers Isles, a former Royal Navy base. HMCS Somers Isles closed in 1945 following the end of World War II.

The RCN departure from Bermuda was short lived as a result of the growing tensions of the Cold War. Following the closure of the Royal Naval Dockyard, Bermuda in 1951, the RCN returned to Bermuda and was the sole operator of the former RN base on the island, creating a winter training installation. More than 30 RCN warships and 5,000 sailors trained in Bermuda during the 1950s.

In 1961 the RCN established a HFDF receiver facility at Daniel's Head, Sandys Parish on Somerset Island with the facility going operational in 1963. The RCN also built a transmitter facility on North Ireland Island, using a former Royal Navy wireless station that operated between 1939-49. Both the receiver and transmitter facilities were operated during the 1960s as Naval Radio Station Bermuda or NRS Bermuda.

From 1944 until 1968, the Bermuda installations would be the only RCN facility outside Canada.

CFS Bermuda

On February 1, 1968 the RCN, Royal Canadian Air Force and the Canadian Army were merged to form the unified Canadian Forces.

The following year in 1969 saw NRS Bermuda renamed to Canadian Forces Station Bermuda or CFS Bermuda and the facility came under the control of Communication Command.

CFS Bermuda underwent expansion during the 1970s and 1980s with additional buildings and structures. The end of the Cold War saw the Government of Canada announce the closure of all overseas Canadian Forces bases and stations; CFB Lahr and CFB Baden-Soellingen in West Germany and CFS Bermuda were slated for closure and repatriation of units and personnel to Canada.

CFS Bermuda closed in 1992, much to the dismay of many CF personnel who enjoyed their posting to the location. Many buildings and structures were removed from the property and the lease was terminated with the Government of Bermuda.

The former base is now home to Daniel's Head Village and Daniel's Head Beach Park, which opened in August 2000.



Ireland Island

  • permanent DF antenna
  • temporary mobile HFDF trailer and mobile auxiliary power unit

Daniel's Head on Somerset Island

Some of the buildings were left behind by the RN and others added by Canadian Forces during their stay:

  • Operations/Stores Building
  • Administration Building - converted from old Royal Navy Operations Building
  • Technical Workshop
  • Stores Building
  • Office-in-Charge Residence - c. 1940s
  • Barracks Block
  • Mess and Recreation Building
  • Dormitory
  • Tool Shed
  • Transmitter Building
  • Generator Building - Diesel
  • Inflammable Store
  • Transmitter
    • 2 AN/FRT39D 10kW Single Sideband high frequency on Ireland Island
  • Canex building
  • Commanding Officer's official residence at "Mara Leah"
  • CE workshop
  • Longtail Barracks
  • Cycle Shelter
  • Beach Canteen and the Sailing Club boat house
  • Senior Ranks Mess
  • Junior Ranks Mess
  • VIP Suite
  • Community Centre



Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address