From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Canadian Hot 100 is a music singles popularity chart issued weekly by Billboard magazine which ranks songs in Canada. The chart premiered in the Billboard issue dated June 16, 2007 and was made available for the first time via their online services on June 7, 2007. With this launch, it marked the first time that Billboard created a Hot 100 chart for a country outside the United States. The first number-one song on this chart was "Umbrella" by Rihanna featuring Jay-Z.
As of the issue dated March 27, 2010, the Canadian Hot 100 has had 32 number-one songs. The current number-one song is "Wavin' Flag" by Young Artists for Haiti.
The Canadian Hot 100 is similar to Billboard's U.S.-based Hot 100 in that it combines sales via digital downloads, as measured by Nielsen SoundScan, and Canadian radio audience levels as measured by Nielsen BDS. Canada's airplay chart is the result of monitoring more than 100 stations representing rock, country, adult contemporary and Top 40 genres. As they have traditionally done with the rollout of other new charts, Billboard compiled unpublished "test" charts prior to its premiere (these ranks were displayed in the first chart's "last week" and "two weeks ago" columns). The online version of the chart also features Canadian flag icons next to tracks that qualify as Canadian content.
Billboard charts manager Geoff Mayfield announced the premiere of the chart, explaining "the new Billboard Canadian Hot 100 will serve as the definitive measure of Canada's most popular songs, continuing our magazine's longstanding tradition of using the most comprehensive resources available to provide the world's most authoritative music charts."
Most weeks at number one
- Black Eyed Peas - "I Gotta Feeling" 2009
- Timbaland featuring OneRepublic- "Apologize" 2007-2008
- Madonna and Justin Timberlake - "4 Minutes" 2008
- Katy Perry - "I Kissed a Girl" 2008
- Flo Rida - "Right Round" 2009
- Lady Gaga - "Poker Face" 2009
- Black Eyed Peas - "Boom Boom Pow" 2009
- Kesha- "Tik Tok" 2009-2010
- Flo Rida featuring T-Pain- "Low" 2008
Number one debuts
- Black Eyed Peas are the only act to replace themselves at number one ("Boom Boom Pow" for 9 weeks (June 27) → (July 4) "I Gotta Feeling" for 16 weeks)
- Two artists are tied for the most number ones, with three apiece:
- Britney Spears ("Gimme More", "Womanizer", "3")
- Lady Gaga ("Just Dance", "Poker Face", "Bad Romance")