Sir John Carden established the company in 1935 as the Flying Flea craze swept Britain. He saw a need for a cheap low powered propulsion unit for ultralight aircraft. The engine was an adaptation of the well proven and reliable Ford 10 Model C motor car engine. The engine was reversed, and a thrust bearing fitted to what was now the front of the engine. The chain drive was replaced by lightweight fibre gears, an Elektron aluminium alloy sump fitted, and dual ignition if requested. There were two cylinder head variants, one with an 'L' shape, the other with a low profile flat head which required a separate header tank. This latter design was adapted for the elegant Chilton Aircraft Ltd Chilton D.W.1 Monoplane of 1936.
Following the death of Sir John in an air accident in December 1935, the company was taken over by Carden-Baynes Aircraft Ltd, and later sold to Chilton Aircraft Ltd, Chilton Foliat, near Hungerford, Berkshire.
Aircraft that have used the engine are: Carden-Baynes Bee, Broughton-Blayney Brawney, B.A.C. Drone, Kronfeld Monoplane, Mignet H.M.14 'Flying Flea', Perman Parasol, Taylor Watkinson Dingbat, and Chilton D.W.1 Monoplane.
Carden-Baynes Auxiliary engine of 350 cc designed for the Scud III Auxiliary sailplane.
|Cylinders:||4 upright, inline, water-cooled|
|Drive:||Righthand, direct tractor|