The Full Wiki

Cathcart: Wikis

Advertisements
  
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Clarkston Road, Cathcart, Glasgow

Cathcart (Coille Chart in Gaelic) is an area of Glasgow between Mount Florida, King's Park, Muirend and Newlands. The White Cart Water flows through Cathcart, downstream from Linn Park.

Originally part of the Burgh of Govan in Renfrewshire, most of the ancient parish was annexed by the City of Glasgow in 1912, but it retains a distinct local identity. Cathcart is mainly a residential area, containing a mix of tenements, terraces and villas built from red or blonde sandstone. There are some historic buildings, including the Couper Institute (a public hall and library) and the Snuff Mill. One of Alexander Thomson's most significant buildings, Holmwood House, is situated in Cathcart, close to the Glasgow city boundary.

Local industry includes the engineering group Weir, and Scottish Power.

Cathcart is served by Cathcart railway station on the Cathcart Circle Line, as well as numerous bus routes.

Churches

Cathcart contains several churches including Cathcart Baptist church, Cathcart United Free church, Cathcart Congregational church and two Church of Scotland churches; Cathcart Old and Cathcart Trinity. The present Cathcart Old building was opened in 1929 and sits across Carmunnock Road from the earlier churchyard which contains the tower from the previous church and a graveyard. Cathcart Trinity was formed in November 2002 from the union of the vacant charges of Cathcart South and New Cathcart. Cathcart's population of Catholics is served by Saint Gabriel's Church in Merrylee and Christ the King in King's Park; the weekly attendance at these two churches totals over 2,700.

External links

Coordinates: 55°49′05″N 4°15′29″W / 55.818°N 4.258°W / 55.818; -4.258

Advertisements

1911 encyclopedia

Up to date as of January 14, 2010

From LoveToKnow 1911

CATHCART, a parish situated partly in Renfrewshire and partly in Lanarkshire, Scotland. The Renfrewshire portion has the larger area (238 7 acres), but the smaller population (7375), the area of the Lanarkshire portion being 745 acres and the population (1901) 20,983. The industries include paper-making, dyeing and sandstone quarrying, but limestone and coal have also been worked. The parish includes the town of Cathcart (pop. 4808), and the villages of Old and New Cathcart, but much of it, though outside the city boundaries, is practically continuous with some of the southern suburbs of Glasgow, with which there is communication by electric tram and the Caledonian railway's circular line. The White Cart flows through the parish. In the 12th century Cathcart became a barony of the Cathcarts, who derived the title of their lordship (1460) and earldom (1814) from it. On the Queen's Knowe, a hillock near the ruins of Cathcart Castle, a memorial marks the spot where Queen Mary watched the progress of the battle of Langside (1568), the site of which lies within the parish.


<< William Schaw Cathcart, 1st earl Cathcart

Cathedral >>


Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message