The Full Wiki

Cavillon: Wikis


Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coordinates: 49°55′23″N 2°05′05″E / 49.923056°N 2.084722°E / 49.923056; 2.084722

Commune of Cavillon

Cavillon crucifix (entrée Nord du village) 1.jpg
Cavillon is located in France
Country France
Region Picardie
Department Somme
Arrondissement Amiens
Canton Picquigny
Intercommunality L'Ouest d'Amiens
Mayor Louis Leroy
Elevation 40–126 m (130–410 ft)
(avg. 120 m/390 ft)
Land area1 5.46 km2 (2.11 sq mi)
Population2 112  (2006)
 - Density 21 /km2 (54 /sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 80180/ 80310
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.
2 Population sans doubles comptes: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Cavillon is a commune in the Somme department in Picardie in northern France.



Cavillon is a small village surrounded by fields and woods, situated on the D121, D156 and D95 crossroads, about15 miles (24 km) northwest of Amiens. Predominantly a farming area raising dairy cows, pigs and free-range chickens. A project to create a large pig-rearing facility is currently undergoing discussion and planning approval, much to the disgruntlement of the local population.


Population history
1962 1968 1975 1982 1990 1999 2006
94 111 117 116 112 94 112
Starting in 1962: Population without duplicates


Cavillon has existed since Gallo-Roman times. During ploughing, archaeologists regularly find artifacts in the ground between the town and the place known as "The Brickyard", where a Roman villa once stood. Found under the written form "Cavellon" as early as 1166, this town was mentioned again as "Caveillon" in 1301 and appeared under its current name of "Cavillon" in 1567.

Places of note

  • The church of St. Nicolas, is in stone with a low steeple covered with slates. On the apse, one can read the date of 1781, but the nave is from the end of the 16th century.
  • The château, near the church, in a beautiful woodland park, was built of bricks and stone in 1648. Two lower wings were added in 1698 and 1830. In the 1950s, it was the property of the Abbaye du Gard (on the left bank of the river Somme, downstream of Picquigny).
  • The old school and mayor’s office was built in 1868. The school closed in 1960. In 1996, the building was restored and laid out as a meeting room and commune secretary’s office.
  • On the other side of the D95, that crosses the town, is the 'old cemetery', surrounded by a brick wall, where rest the remains of five soldiers of the British Commonwealth.
  • Chapelle Notre-Dame des Victoires, on the road leading to Oissy.

Leisure, cultural and tourist activities

  • The town centre has a newly laid out square with flowering plants, benches and a petanque piste. The biggest of Cavillon’s three ponds is shaded by trees and the nests of moorhens and ducks can be seen on its flowery banks.
  • The attractiveness of the town of Cavillon, well maintained despite the municipal worker having to divide his time with neighbouring towns, is also attributed to the residents, encouraged by the wife of the current mayor, to grow flowers in their own gardens.
  • Several walking routes pass through the commune of Cavillon, with directional panels provided by the C.C.O.A.

See also


External links



Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address