|— City —|
|Ville de Chambly|
Chambly's Church St-Joseph, viewed from the Basin.
Location within La Vallée-du-Richelieu Regional County Municipality.
|Coordinates (56, rue Martel ):|
|Established||October 26, 1848|
|Incorporated||September 18, 1965|
|- Mayor||Denis Lavoie|
|- Federal MP(s)||Yves Lessard (BQ)|
|- Quebec MNA(s)||Bertrand St-Arnaud (PQ)|
|- Land||25.11 km2 (9.7 sq mi)|
|- Density||900.2/km2 (2,331.5/sq mi)|
|- Change (2001-06)||▲11.1%|
|Time zone||Eastern (UTC-5)|
|- Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Access Routes 
It sits on the Richelieu River in the Regional County Municipality of La-Vallée-du-Richelieu, at .
People have lived in Chambly since the 17th century, but Chambly was not incorporated as a city until 1965.
Samuel de Champlain passed through the area that came to be the site of the town of Chambly, QC, in 1609., when he wrote the following in his journal:
|“||The approach to the rapids is a sort of lake into which the water flows down, and it is about three leagues in circumference. Near by are meadows were no Indians live, by reason of the wars. At the rapids there is very little water, but it flows with great swiftness, and there are many rocks and boulders, so that the Indians cannot go up by water; but on the way back they run them very nicely. All this region is very level and full of forests, vines and butternut trees. No Christian has ever visited this land and we had all the misery of the world trying to paddle the river upstream.||”|
Chambly is home to the massive Fort Chambly, built with local stone between 1709 and 1711 in the style of Vauban's classic French fortifications. It was built at the mouth of a large basin, on the site of successive wooden forts dating back to 1665. Fort Chambly was the largest in a series of fortifications on the shores of what was known as the Iroquois River (later known as the Chambly River, finally becoming the Richelieu River in the nineteenth century). Originally called Fort Saint-Louis, it soon came to be known by the name of its first commanding officer, Jacques de Chambly, to whom the surrounding seigniory was granted in 1672. It was intended to protect New France in general (and Montreal in specific) from attack from hostile natives and the English. Today, the fort is run by Parks Canada as a National Historic Site, and houses a museum and interpretive center, and hosts historical re-enactments of military drills (as well as a number of contemporary cultural events).
A small local population clustered around the fort, and the entire area eventually became known as Chambly as well.
Chambly is also known for the Chambly Canal, a National Historic Site run by Parks Canada. It was built in 1843 to bypass several kilometers of successive Richelieu River rapids between the towns of Chambly, QC, and Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu. Part of a series of waterways connecting the Saint Lawrence River and New York City, Chambly Canal was built to facilitate commercial traffic between Canada and the United States.
Trade dwindled after World War I, and as of the 1970s, traffic has been replaced by recreational vessels. Today the canal is enjoyed by tourists and more than 7,000 pleasure boats in the summer, and ice skaters in the winter.
The St-Joseph of Chambly church is located at 164 Martel street. It was built between 1880 and 1881. The parish was founded in 1665.
Mother tongue language (2006)
|Both English and French||125||0.56%|
In 2004, Chambly's largest local employers were:
(Source: Town of Chambly website)
The CIT Chambly-Richelieu-Carignan provides commuter and local bus services.
Chambly is currently served by a local weekly newspaper called the "Journal de Chambly", first published in 1966.
A small daily news sheet called Chambly Matin also maintains a journalistic presence on the internet reporting on local issues.