|— Comune —|
|Comune di Civita Castellana|
Piazza Matteotti in Civita Castellana by night.
|Frazioni||Borghetto, Pian Paradiso, Sassacci|
|- Mayor||Gianluca Angelelli|
|- Total||83.28 km2 (32.2 sq mi)|
|Elevation||145 m (476 ft)|
|- Density||200.8/km2 (520.1/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|- Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Patron saint||Sts. John and Marcianus|
|Saint day||September 16|
Mount Soracte lies about 10 km to the south-east.
Civita Castellana was settled during the Iron Age by the Italic people of the Falisci, who called it Falerii. After the Faliscan defeat against the Romans, a new city was built by the latter, about 5 km away, and called Falerii Novi.
The abandoned city was repopulated beginning in the early Middle Ages, with the new name of Civita Castellana (roughly translated as "City of the Castle") mentioned first in 994. In the following centuries the city was a flourishing independent commune, often contended by the Pope and the Holy Roman Empire. Captured by Pope Paschal II at the beginning of the 12th century, the city was given as fief to the Savelli by Gregory XIV.
Civita Castellana became an important road hub with the connection to the Via Flaminia (1606) and the construction of Ponte Clementino after the French victory against a Neapolitan army in 1709.
The cathedral of Santa Maria di Pozzano (Santa Maria Maggiore) possesses a fine portico, erected in 1210 by Laurentius Romanus, his son Jacobus and his grandson Cosmas, in the Cosmatesque style, with ancient columns and mosaic decorations. The right portal has a rare example of Early Middle Ages Germanic figurative art, portraying a boar hunt. The interior was modernized in the 18th century, but has some fragments of cosmatesque ornamentation. The high altar is made out of a Paleo-Christian sarcophagus of the 3rd or 4th century. The ancient crpyt and the old sacristy are also interesting.
The church of Santa Chiara was a Renaissance portal from 1529, while the Church of the Carmine has a noteworthy, small belltower from the 12th century, including antique Roman elements.
Ponte Clementino, the bridge by which the town is approached, dates to the 18th century.
The town also contains the ruins of the Castle of Paterno, where, on 23 January 1002, Emperor Otto III died at the age of 22.
The National Museum of the Faliscan Countryside contains findings from the ancient Falerii and the surrounding areas.
Civita Castellana is a city in the north of Lazio in Italy.
Civita Castellana was settled during the Iron Age by the Falisci, who called it Falerii. It was already important 3000 years ago, protected from invaders by its high position and surrounding stream and cliffs. The Romans defeated the Falisci in 396 BC and in again in 241 BC after a revolt by the locals who were then required to build a new, less defensible, city about 5 km away,. This is known as Falerii Novi (see Get Out).
The original city was repopulated in the early Middle Ages because it offered greater protection, and the new name of Civita Castellana was first mentioned in 994. In the following centuries the city was a flourishing independent commune.
Civita Castellana is 60km to the north of Rome. By car from Rome’s ring road, the GRA, take the SS2bis (known as the Cassia bis) until Gabelletta and then the SS311 in the direction of Nepi. Civita Castellana is a few km after Nepi on the same road.
By train, the city can be reached from Rome by the Rome to Viterbo line that leaves from the station at Piazzale Flaminio, near Piazza del Popolo.
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|
CIVITA CASTELLANA (anc. Falerii, q.v.), a town and episcopal see of the province of Rome, 45 m. by rail from the city of Rome (the station is 5 m. N.E. of the town). Population (1901) 5265. The cathedral of S. Maria possesses a fine portico, erected in 1 2 10 by Laurentius Romanus, his son Jacobus and his grandson Cosmas, in the cosmatesque style, with ancient columns and mosaic decorations: the interior was modernized in the 18th century, but has some fragments of cosmatesque ornamentation. The citadel was erected by Pope Alexander VI. from the designs of Antonio da Sangallo the elder, and enlarged by Julius II. and Leo X. The lofty bridge by which the town is approached belongs to the 18th century. Mount Soracte lies about 6 m. to the south-east.