The Full Wiki

Columbia College (Columbia, South Carolina): Wikis


Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.


(Redirected to Columbia College (South Carolina) article)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Columbia College
Motto Non quem sed quid
Motto in English Not who, but what
Established 1854
Type Women's College
Religious affiliation United Methodist Church
Chairman Jim B. Apple
President Caroline Whitson
Faculty 81 full-time
80 part-time
Students 1500
Location Columbia, South Carolina, USA
34°02′42″N 81°01′53″W / 34.045°N 81.03139°W / 34.045; -81.03139
Former names Columbia Female College
Sports Basketball, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball
Colors Purple and White
Nickname Fighting Koalas
Mascot CiCi
Affiliations Southern States Athletic Conference
Website Columbia College

Columbia College is a private liberal arts women's college in Columbia, South Carolina. The school is affiliated with United Methodist Church and has more than 1,500 students. Until 2008, it was the site of a fine arts summer camp called Tri-DAC (Tri-District arts consortium) for rising fifth through ninth graders.



  • Art
  • Biological and Physical Sciences
  • Business and Economics
  • Communication and Theatre
  • Dance
  • Education
  • English
  • History and Political Science
  • Human Relations
  • Mathematics and Computing
  • Modern Languages and Literatures
  • Music
  • Physical Education and Health
  • Religion and Philosophy


Founded in 1854, it is one of the oldest women's colleges in the United States. Columbia Female College officially opened in 1859 with an initial student body of 121 and a faculty of 16. When General Sherman and his troops marched through Columbia in 1865, the school had to close. It was saved from being torched only because Professor of Music W. H. Orchard, having heard that all unoccupied buildings would be burned by a certain hour, left his home to stand in the doorway of the College where he could be seen by the troops. The school was reopened in 1873. The college was damaged by its first fire in 1895, though the damage was not extensive. The name changed to Columbia College in 1905 after it was moved to its present site in North Columbia in 1904. Swept by a second fire in 1909, the college operated out of its former Plain Street facilities until the North Columbia campus could be reoccupied in 1910.

From 1940 to 1951 presidents Guilds and Greene oversaw Columbia College as well as Wofford College in Spartanburg, South Carolina.

In 1964, a tragic third fire ravaged the campus, destroying Old Main, a college landmark. Frightened and disheartened students, huddled in the middle of the night in College Place Methodist Church, were told by President Spears, "Nothing has been destroyed that cannot be rebuilt." Soon thereafter new interest in the College was engendered, and building continued. The columns of Old Main, which had been the only thing left standing in the ashes when the fire was over, became a symbol of Columbia College, its strength and its endurance.

Georgia O'Keeffe taught art, briefly, at Columbia College in 1914 and 1915. It is said that while teaching art at Columbia College, Georgia found her way as an artist, and began a lengthy and famous career.

During the 1980s an evening college was established in which both female and male students could be educated. Recently U.S. News & World Report has ranked Columbia College as one of the top ten regional liberal arts colleges in the South.


The school competes in the NAIA in soccer, tennis, volleyball, basketball, and cross country. The teams are known as the Fighting Koalas.


External links



Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address