From Wikibooks, the open-content textbooks
Cookbook | Recipes | United States |
Apple Crisp is a dessert made up of a baked apple filling and
a crispy crumb topping. It is similar to cobbler, which has a biscuit-like
(USA biscuit that
is) or cake-like topping. Cool room temperature is
required to create a nice crisp topping. To serve Apple
Crisp, spoon it into a bowl and, optionally, add vanilla ice cream. Apple
Crisp also goes well with a glass of milk.
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, brown sugar, and oatmeal.
If the room temperature is a bit warm, you should cool this
- Prepare the apples. This should be completed before mixing
butter into the topping. It is helpful to choose apples that do not
brown quickly; Granny Smith apples are a good choice. Do not use
Red Delicious apples; they turn to mush. Place the apples into a
9-inch square baking dish; glass is best.
- Add the butter or margarine to the topping. Mix it via a
slicing action, so that the butter or margarine forms tiny little
chunks and does not melt or smear. A pair of butter knives, used
like scissors, is good for this. You must work quickly once you
start this step.
- Sprinkle the filling onto the apples. You may pat it down just
- Bake for about 30 minutes in a 375 °F oven. Do not remove
the crisp before the top is dark brown. Black spots indicate
burning. It is better to burn a few small spots, which you can then
remove, than to risk undercooking the topping.
- 4 cups apples, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup melted margarine or butter
Put apples in shallow 8 inch pan. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
Combine all dry ingredients with butter and mix until crumbly.
Sprinkle all this over apples and bake at 375 degrees for 30
- 5 cups of apples
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 pound butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- lemon to taste
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
Preheat a conventional oven to 350° Fahrenheit / 180° Celsius.
Thinly slice the apples and place them in a buttered pan, and
sprinkle them with lemon for flavor and to prevent them from
turning brown. Peeling the apples is traditional, but not required.
Add 1/3 cup of water and cinnamon to taste.
Meanwhile, to make the topping combine the butter, sugar, oats,
flour, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg, and crumble the ingredients in a
bowl with your fingers to create a uniform mixture. Cover the
apples with the topping and bake for 30-45 minutes or until the
apples are soft and the topping is crisped. Serve with ice cream or
whipped cream. Loose oats can be sprinkled sparingly on the surface
of the topping before baking for added texture.
Notes, tips, and
- Any type of apple may be used, baking or sweet, or a mixture of
- Cooked apple dishes are a good use for substandard apples, eg
damaged, wrinkled & windfall.
- Crisps can be made with most any sort of fruit. Pineapple
is a good choice.
- Some fruits, especially peaches, go better in a cobbler.
- Raisins can be added to the apples at the beginning, and 1/2
teaspoon of powdered ginger, or a sprinkling of nutmeg can also be
- 'Mixed spice' (cinnamon, coriander, clove & other spices)
is a perfect addition to apple dishes. This is more popular in
Britain than the US.