Cornwell shown within Oxfordshire
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Post town||Chipping Norton|
|EU Parliament||South East England|
|List of places: UK • England • Oxfordshire|
The Church of England parish church of Saint Peter was originally Norman, and the chancel arch survives form this time. Most of the windows were added later in the Decorated Gothic and Perpendicular Gothic styles. The church was rebuilt in 1830 and 1882, when the present west window was added. The south door has a porch with a sundial.
The manor house dates from the 16th or 17th century, with a dining room and library panelled in about 1640 and 17th century stables and dovecote. A new front was built onto the house in about 1750, and the drawing room has a fireplace in the style of Robert Adam. In 1939 the architect Clough Williams-Ellis restored the house, added a ballroom and laid out the gardens.
Some of the cottages in the village are 17th century. In 1939 Williams-Ellis, who had designed Portmeirion in north Wales, remodelled all the cottages in Cornwell and remodelled the former village school in neo-Georgian style as the Village Hall.