Dayton Triangles: Wikis

Advertisements
  
  
  
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Did you know ...


More interesting facts on Dayton Triangles

Include this on your site/blog:

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dayton Triangles
Dayton Triangles logo

Founded 1913
Relocated 1929 to Brooklyn
Based in Dayton, Ohio, United States
Home field Westwood Field (1916)
Triangle Park (1917-29)
League "Ohio League" (1913-1919)
American Professional Football Association
(1920-1921)
National Football League (1922-1929)
Team History St. Mary's Cadets (1913-1914)
Dayton Gym-Cadets (1915)
Dayton Triangles (1916-29)
Brooklyn Dodgers (1930-43)
Brooklyn Tigers (1944)
Boston Yanks (1945)
New York Bulldogs-Yanks (1949-51)
Dallas Texans (1952)
Team Colors Navy, White
         
Head coaches Louis Clark (1913-1914)
Al Mahrt (1915)
Bud Talbott (1916-1917)
Greasy Neale (1918)
Bud Talbot (1919-21)
Carl Storck (1922-26)
Lou Mahrt (1927)
Faye Abbott (1928-29)
Owner(s) Dayton Engineering Laboratories Company
Dayton Metal Products Company
Domestic Engineering Company
Other League Championship wins Ohio League
1918
Fan Website http://www.daytontriangles.com/

The Dayton Triangles were an original franchise of the American Professional Football Association (now the National Football League) in 1920. The Triangles were based in Dayton, Ohio, and took their nickname from their home field, Triangle Park, which was located at the confluence of the Great Miami and Stillwater Rivers in north Dayton. They were the longest-lasting traveling team in the NFL (1920-1929), and the last such "road team" until the Dallas Texans in 1952.

Contents

Origins

The original Dayton Triangles members first began playing together as basketball players at St. Mary's College, now the University of Dayton from 1908 until 1912. After graduation, the players organized a basketball team of alumni, students, and other local athletes. They went by the name of the St. Mary's Cadets. The Cadets would go on to claim the title of "World Basketball Champions" by defeating the Buffalo German Ramblers 45 to 30.

In the fall of 1913, the St. Marys Cadets organized a football team. The team was coached by Louis Clark, who coached the St. Mary's college football team as well. Al Mahrt was elected team captain. The team finished their first season with a 7-0 record and won the Dayton City Championship. They also won the Southern Ohio Championship by defeating the Cincinnati Celts 27-0 at Redland Park. The team won a second city championship in 1914, despite injuries to Al Mahrt and Babe Zimmerman. In 1915 the team changed it's name to the Dayton Gym-Cadets after their presumed sponsors, the Dayton Gymnastic Club. That season saw the Al Marhrt take over as the team's coach. The team only lost one game that season, to the Columbus Panhandles. They also won their third city championship.

1916-1919

The team was reorganized in 1916, as a recreational football team from among the employees of three downtown Dayton factories; the Dayton Engineering Laboratories Company (or Delco), the Dayton Metal Products Company and the Domestic Engineering Company (now called Delco-Light). Carl Storck, who later served as treasurer of the NFL and as acting league president from 1939 to 1941, co-sponsored the Dayton Cadets and used players recruited from the three factories to fill out the team roster. Storck would later become the team's manager, while Bud Talbott, a Walter Camp All-American tackle and team captain at Yale University was named the team's coach. The team's name was also changed to the Dayton Triangles that season.

In 1916, the Triangles went 9-1, defeating teams from Cincinnati, Detroit, Toledo and Pittsburgh. The Canton Bulldogs, with the legendary Jim Thorpe in the line-up, claimed the "Ohio League" Championship after their win over the Massillon Tigers. The Triangles challenged the Bulldogs to a game on December 10, 1916, but the game was never played. The following season saw the Triangles move into their new park, Triangle Park. The team's 1917 campaign was successful. The team went 6-0-2 that season. The Triangles were able to score 188 points and gave up only 13 to their opponents.

Advertisements

1918 Championship

In 1918 saw the United States entry in World War I, as well as a devastating Spanish flu pandemic. While the Triangles lost players to military service, but they also had many kept home with regular jobs in industries deemed essential to the war effort. This allowed the Triangles to keep a team on the field and beat what few representative teams. They claimed an "Ohio League" Championship. The Triangle player-coach that season was Earle "Greasy" Neale, since Bud Talbott joined the army. During their championship run, the Triangles defeated future NFL teams, the Toledo Maroons, Hammond Pros, Columbus Panhandles and Detroit Heralds. The Triangles went 8-0-0 in 1918, however they followed up their championship with a 1919 season record of 4-2-1.

NFL era

At the first NFL formation meetings held on August 20, 1920 and September 17, 1920 at Ralph Hay's Hupmobile dealership located in Canton, Ohio, the Triangles were represented by their manager Carl Storck as they became charter members of the new league called the American Professional Football Association, until 1922 when it was renamed the National Football League. During the latter meeting Jim Thorpe, was unanimously elected as new league's president. Also at this meeting, a membership fee of $ 100 per team was established, however George Halas stated that none of the charter team ever paid it.

On October 3, 1920, the Triangles won what could be considered the very first APFA/NFL game, with a 14-0 defeat of the Columbus Panhandles at Triangle Park. The high point of the Triangles' 1920 season was a 20-20 tie at Triangle Park with Thorpe's Canton Bulldogs; it was the first time a team had scored three touchdowns on the Bulldogs since 1915. Trailing the Triangles, 20-14, Thorpe nailed two late field goals to tie the score. Six games into the season, the Triangles remained undefeated (4-0-2) but in the final three games lost twice to eventual league champion, the Akron Pros, ending 1920 with a 5-2-2 mark.

Decline

In 1922, the other teams in the NFL were recruiting and signing top college players from around the country; however Dayton continued to use mainly local players. This marked a decline in the team's performance, and the Triangles ceased being competitive in the NFL. Because of their poor showing on the field, the Triangles were not able to draw crowds for home games: Triangle Park, with a seating capacity of 5,000, rarely saw that many fans. Soon, the combination of poor home gates and the lure of $2,500 guarantees to play at larger venues (like Wrigley Field, Comiskey Park and the Polo Grounds), made the Triangles primarily a traveling team.

By the late twenties, Dayton was one of the league's doormats, winning just five of their 51 NFL contests from 1923-29. Finally, on July 12, 1930, a Brooklyn-based syndicate headed by John Dwyer bought the Triangles; the franchise moved to Brooklyn and was renamed the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Indianapolis Colts lineage

In later years, the Brooklyn Dodgers would merge with the Boston Yanks franchise in 1945 (with the Brooklyn half "moving" to the AAFC the next year); in 1949, the Yanks moved to New York and became the New York Bulldogs; the Bulldogs franchise (renamed the New York Yanks in 1950) was "sold back" to the NFL in 1952 and awarded to a group from Texas, who formed the Dallas Texans; the Texans failed after one year and was sold back to the NFL. The NFL folded the Texans franchise, and its remains were awarded to an ownership group in the city of Baltimore to form the Baltimore Colts; and the Colts moved to Indianapolis in 1984 and are still playing as the Indianapolis Colts. It can thus be argued that the Triangles still exist today, albeit indirectly.

Dayton Triangles Soccer Club

During the 1970s, the Dayton Triangles Soccer Club revived the name and enjoyed some success and recognition as a successful youth (and later semi-pro) soccer club. Like the football team, they took their name from the same city park and played an important role in development of soccer in the Miami Valley.

Hall of famers

Greasy Neale

Season-by-season

Year W L T Finish Coach
1913 7 0 0 City Champs Louis Clark
1914  ?  ?  ? City Champs Louis Clark
1915 7 1 1 City Champs Al Mahrt
1916 9 1 0 2nd Bud Talbott
1917 6 0 2 3rd Carl Storck
1918 8 0 0 Ohio League Champs Greasy Neale
1919 4 2 1 4th Bud Talbott
1920 5 2 2 6th Bud Talbott
1921 4 4 1 8th Bud Talbott
1922 4 3 1 7th Carl Storck
1923 1 6 1 16th Carl Storck
1924 2 6 0 13th Carl Storck
1925 0 7 1 16th Carl Storck
1926 1 4 1 16th Carl Storck
1927 1 6 1 10th Lou Mahrt
1928 0 7 0 10th Faye Abbott
1929 0 6 0 12th Faye Abbott

References

External links

Fan web site Dayton Triangles


Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message