The Full Wiki

More info on De La Salle College (Jersey)

De La Salle College (Jersey): Wikis

Advertisements
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

De la Salle College Secondary School
De la Salle College Crest.jpeg
Motto Indvisa Manet
Established 1907 (Jersey)
Type Independent School
Religion Catholic
Head Master Mr. J. Turner
Founder Saint Jean Baptiste De la Salle
Location Wellington Road
St. Saviour, Jersey
JerseyJersey
Staff 44
Ages 11 to 18
Houses Peary, Scott, Stanley and Rhodes
Publication Lasallian Voices
Former pupils Beeches Old Boys
Website www.delasalle.ac.je

De La Salle College in Jersey is an independent Catholic school taking its name from St John Baptist de la Salle (1651-1719), who founded the Brothers' Order in France.

Contents

History

De La Salle College takes its name from St John Baptist de la Salle (1651-1719), who founded the Brothers' Order in the France of Louis XIV. Today the Order has establishments in over 80 countries.

A few Brothers settled in Jersey at the time of the French Revolution and remained in the Island for several years. Then from 1866 to 1896 a school of up to 300 pupils run by the Brothers' flourished in St Thomas' Parish. The Brothers left the Island in 1896 but were invited to return in 1917 to found another school.

The school, in fact, was established at Berry House next to St Thomas' Church in Saint Helier and was initially known as St Aloysius College. Within a year the main site of the school was moved to a property known as "The Beeches" on Wellington Hill in the parish of St Saviour. It was at this point that the name De La Salle College was first given to the school.

Under the direction of Brother Edward, the first and longest serving Headmaster (33 years), the school grew significantly in numbers. On opening day, 1 October 1917,there were just a dozen pupils. By the start of the following year the number had increased to 57 and reached one hundred by 1921.

For the first time in 1933 the school topped the 200 mark and a school holiday was given to mark the occasion.

The transfer of the school from the French Province in Quimper to the Province of London in 1948 marked a distinct change in the fortunes of the school. By 1949 no fewer than 470 pupils were attending the school. New buildings were planned and erected in the mid-1950s. Many past pupils testify to the tremendous spirit in the school even at times when it lacked buildings and facilities. Without this spirit it is difficult to appreciate how the school could have survived.

Two significant factors have helped ensure that the school has a bright future well into the next century. The first was the introduction of the Covenant Scheme. Begun in the mid 1960's, it led initially to the opening of the swimming pool and gymnasium and then to a period of rapid expansion. The 6th Form Block, Science Building, CDT, Art Rooms and the Computer Room were completed in quick succession. Secondly, in 1976 the States of Jersey agreed to provide the school with generous financial assistance in the form of a capitation grant for running costs.

The 6th Form Block, Science Labs and I.T. facilities, Art Rooms, CDT workshops and Drawing office, a new Infant School, six new classrooms for secondary and a new Junior School were all completed thanks to the help provided through the Covenant Scheme.

A “new age” began in the late 1990’s when negotiations began with the States of Jersey for capital funding and the building of 8 new classrooms and a Library and Resources area began in January 2003. In 2004 a new building was built called the DLS Block.

Though there is no longer a Brothers’ Community in Jersey, the school retains close links with the Brothers who are Trustees of the College. The ethos and spirit they established all those years ago still flourishes and enables us to continue the mission of providing a Catholic Christian education in the Island.

Lasallian Voices

Lasallian Voices is the termly publication of De la Salle College, Jersey. Students can send in stories, poems and other work to be published in the next edition. The most recent edition was published in Christmas 2008.

See also

Notable Alumni

Terry le Sueur - Chief Minister of the States of Jersey

Bibliography

  • The Bailiwick of Jersey, G.R. Balleine

External Links

Advertisements

Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message