Commune of Denain
|Intercommunality||Porte du Hainaut|
|Elevation||26–115 m (85–380 ft)
(avg. 33 m/110 ft)
|Land area1||11.52 km2 (4.45 sq mi)|
|- Density||1,745 /km2 (4,520 /sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||59172/ 59220|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
|2 Population sans doubles comptes: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.|
It is the largest of 39 communes which comprise the association of communes of Porte du Hainaut, with a total population of 147,989, as of 1999. Denain had a population of 20,360, on a land area of 11.52 km² (4.448 sq mi).
DENAIN, a town of northern France in the department of Nord, 8 m. S.W. of Valenciennes by steam tramway. A mere village in the beginning of the 19th century, it rapidly increased from 1850 onwards, and, according to the censusof 1906, possessed 22,845 inhabitants, mainly engaged in the coal mines and ironsmelting works, to which it owes its development. There are also breweries, manufactories of machinery, sugar and glass. A school of commerce and industry is among the institutions. Denain has a port on the left bank of the Scheldt canal. Its vicinity was the scene of the decisive victory gained in 1712 by Marshal Villars over the allies commanded by Prince Eugene; and the battlefield is marked by a monolithic monument inscribed with the verses of Voltaire: "Regardez dans Denain l'audacieux Villars Disputant le tonnerre a l'aigle des Cesars."