|— U.A. & City —|
|Motto: "Industria, Virtus, et Fortitudo"|
Derby shown within England
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|- Type||Unitary authority, City|
|- Governing body||Derby City Council|
|- Leadership||Leader & Cabinet|
|- Executive||Lib Dem (council NOC)|
|- MPs||Margaret Beckett (L)
Bob Laxton (L)
|- U.A. & City||30.1 sq mi (78.03 km2)|
|Population (2006 est.)|
|- U.A. & City||236,300|
|- Density||7,842.5/sq mi (3,028/km2)|
| - Ethnicity
(Office of National Statistics 2005 Estimate)
8.9% S. Asian
2.2% Black British
1.1% Chinese and other
2.0% Mixed Race
|Time zone||Greenwich Mean Time (UTC+0)|
|Postcode span||DE1, DE3, DE21-24, DE73|
Derby (pronounced /ˈdɑrbi/ ( listen), DAR-bee) is a city and unitary authority in the East Midlands region of England. It lies upon the banks of the River Derwent and is located in the south of the ceremonial county of Derbyshire. In the 2001 census, the population of the city was 233,700, whilst that of the Derby Urban Area was 229,407. According to the 2001 census, Derby was at that time the 18th largest settlement in England, measured by urban area.
The Roman camp of 'Derventio' was probably at Little Chester/Chester Green (grid reference SK353375); The site of the old Roman fort is at Chester Green. Later the town was one of the 'Five Boroughs' (fortified towns) of the Danelaw.
The popular belief is that the name 'Derby' is a corruption of the Danish and Gaelic Djúra-bý, recorded in Anglo-Saxon as Deoraby "Village of the Deer". However some assert that it is a corruption of the original Roman name 'Derventio'. The town appears as 'Darby' or 'Darbye' on early modern maps, such as that of Speed (1610).
Modern research (2004) into the history and archaeology of Derby has provided evidence that the Vikings and Anglo-Saxons probably co-existed, occupying two areas of land surrounded by water. The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle (c. 900) says that "Derby is divided by water". These areas of land were known as Norþworþig ("Northworthy", = "north enclosure") and Deoraby, and were at the "Irongate" (north) side of Derby.
During the Civil War of 1642-1646, Derby was garrisoned by Parliamentary troops commanded by Sir John Gell, 1st Baronet, who was appointed Governor of Derby in 1643. These troops took part in the defence of nearby Nottingham, the Siege of Lichfield, the Battle of Hopton Heath and many other engagements in Nottinghamshire, Staffordshire and Cheshire, as well as successfully defending Derbyshire against Royalist armies.
A hundred years later, Bonnie Prince Charlie set up camp at Derby on 4 December 1745, whilst on his way south to seize the British crown. The prince called at The George Inn on Irongate, where the Duke of Devonshire had set up his headquarters, and demanded billets for his 9,000 troops.
He stayed at Exeter House, Exeter Street where he held his "council of war". A replica of the room is on display at Derby Museum in the city centre. He had received misleading information about an army coming to meet him south of Derby. Although he wished to continue with his quest, he was overruled by his fellow officers. He abandoned his invasion at Swarkestone Bridge on the River Trent just a few miles south of Derby. As a testament to his belief in his cause, the prince - who on the march from Scotland had walked at the front of the column - made the return journey on horseback at the rear of the bedraggled and tired army.
Each year at the beginning of December, the Charles Edward Stuart Society of Derby lead a weekend of activities culminating in a parade through the city centre and a battle on Cathedral Green.
Derby and Derbyshire were centres of Britain's Industrial Revolution. In 1717, Derby was the site of the first water powered silk mill in Britain, built by John Lombe and George Sorocold, after Lombe had reputedly stolen the secrets of silk-throwing from Piedmont in what is now Italy (he is alleged to have been poisoned by Piedmontese as revenge in 1722).
In 1759, Jedediah Strutt patented and built a machine called the Derby Rib Attachment that revolutionised the manufacture of hose. This attachment was used on the Rev. Lee's Framework Knitting Machine; it was placed in front of - and worked in unison with - Lee's Frame, to produce ribbed hose (stockings). The partners were Jedediah Strutt, William Woollatt (who had been joined in 1758 by) John Bloodworth and Thomas Stafford, all leading hosiers in Derby. The patent was obtained in January 1759. After three years, Bloodworth and Stafford were paid off, and Samuel Need - a hosier of Nottingham - joined the partnership. The firm was known as Need, Strutt and Woollatt. The patent expired in 1773, though the partnership continued until 1781 when Need died.
Messrs. Wright, the bankers of Nottingham, recommended that Richard Arkwright apply to Strutt and Need for finance for his cotton spinning mill. The first mill opened in Nottingham in 1770 and was driven by horses. In 1771 Richard Arkwright, Samuel Need and Jedediah Strutt built the world's first water-powered cotton spinning mill at Cromford, Derbyshire, developing a form of power that was to be a catalyst for the Industrial Revolution.
This was followed in Derbyshire by Jedediah Strutt's cotton spinning mills at Belper. They were: South Mill, the first, 1775; North Mill, 1784, which was destroyed by fire on 12 January 1803 and then rebuilt; it started work again at the end of 1804; West Mill, 1792, commenced working 1796; Reeling Mill, 1897; Round Mill, which took 10 years to build, from 1803 to 1813, and commenced working in 1816; and Milford Mills, 1778. The Belper and Milford mills were not built in partnership with Arkwright. These mills were all Strutt owned and financed.
Other famous 18th century figures with connections to Derby include Dr Johnson, the creator of the English dictionary, who married Elizabeth Porter at St. Werburgh's Church, Derby, Derby in 1735; the painter Joseph Wright, known as Wright of Derby, who was famous for his revolutionary use of light in his paintings and was an associate of the Royal Academy; and John Whitehurst, a famous clockmaker and philosopher.
In 1840, the North Midland Railway set up its works in Derby and, when it merged with the Midland Counties Railway and the Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway, to form the Midland Railway, Derby became its headquarters.
Derby was one of the boroughs reformed by the Municipal Corporations Act 1835, and it became a county borough with the Local Government Act 1888. The borough expanded in 1877 to include Little Chester and Litchurch, and then in 1890 to include New Normanton and Rowditch. The borough did not increase substantially again until 1968, when under a recommendation of the Local Government Boundary Commission it was expanded into large parts of the rural district of Belper, Repton and South East Derbyshire. This vastly increased Derby's population from 132,408 in the 1961 census to 219,578 in the 1971 census.
Despite being one of the areas of Britain furthest from the sea, Derby holds a special place in the history of marine safety - it was as MP for Derby that Samuel Plimsoll introduced his bills for a 'Plimsoll line' (and other marine safety measures). This failed on first introduction, but was successful in 1876 and contributed to Plimsoll's re-election as an MP.
Derby was awarded city status on 7 June 1977 by Queen Elizabeth II to mark the 25th anniversary of her ascension to the throne. The Queen presented the "charter scroll" or 'letters patent' in person on 28 July 1977 on the steps of the Council House to the then Mayor Councillor Jeffrey Tillet (Conservative). Until then, Derby had been one of the few towns in England with a cathedral but not city status.
Derby has a number of public parks, many Victorian in origin. Darley and Derwent parks lie immediately north of the city centre and are home to owls, kingfishers and other wildlife. Derby Rowing Club and Derwent Rowing Club are located on the banks of the river. There is also a riverside walk and cycle path from Darley Park south to two other parks. West of the city centre is Markeaton Park, while to the north is Allestree Park and its lake.
Derby has the first public recreational park in the country to have an arboretum (Derby Arboretum), which lies to the south of the city centre. The arboretum was set up by the philanthropic landowner and industrialist Joseph Strutt in 1840. The arboretum's website states that the arboretum's design was the inspiration for the vision of great urban parks in the USA, notably Central Park in New York City.
Derby holds an important position in the history of the Labour movement, because it was one of two seats (the other being Keir Hardie's in Merthyr Tydfil) gained by the recently formed Labour Representation Committee at the 1900 general election. The MP was Richard Bell, General Secretary of the Railway Servants Union. Bell was succeeded in 1910 by Jimmy Thomas and he in turn by the distinguished polymath and Nobel Laureate Philip Noel-Baker in 1936.
Despite its strategic industries (rail and aero-engine), Derby suffered comparatively little damage in both world wars (contrast Bristol and Filton). This may in part have been due to the jamming of the German radio-beam navigations systems (X-Verfahren and Knickebein, camouflage and decoy techniques ('Starfish sites') were built, mainly south of the town, e.g. out in fields near Foremark (ref. Kirk, Felix & Bartnik, 2002, see talk; see also).
Derby has also become a significant cultural centre for the deaf community in the UK. Many deaf people move to Derby because of its strong sign language-using community. It is estimated that the deaf population in Derby is at least three times higher than the national average, and that only London has a larger deaf population. The Royal School for the Deaf on Ashbourne Road provides education in British Sign Language and English.
Derby has been granted Fairtrade City status.
By traditional definitions, Derby is the county town of Derbyshire, although Derbyshire's administrative centre has in recent years been Matlock. On 1 April 1997 Derby City Council became again a unitary authority (a status it had held, as a county borough, up until 1974), with the rest of Derbyshire administered from Matlock.
Derby is split into 17 Wards.
|Ward||Areas within the Ward|
|Abbey||St Lukes and Normanton (part of)|
|Allestree||Allestree and Markeaton Park|
|Alvaston||Alvaston, Crewton, Litchurch, Pride Park, Wilmorton and Allenton (Part of)|
|Arboretum||City Centre, Pear Tree and Rose Hill|
|Blagreaves||Sunny Hill and Littleover (part of)|
|Boulton||Boulton and Allenton (part of)|
|Chellaston||Chellaston and Shelton Lock|
|Darley||Darley Abbey, Five Lamps, Little Chester (also known as Chester Green), Strutt's Park and West End|
|Derwent||Breadsall Hilltop and Chaddesden Heights|
|Littleover||Littleover (most of) and Heatherton Village|
|Mackworth||Mackworth and Morley Estate|
|Normanton||Normanton (most of) and Austin Estate|
|Oakwood||Oakwood and Chaddesden (part of)|
|Sinfin||Sinfin, Osmaston and Stenson Fields (part of)|
Borrowash, Ockbrook, Draycott, Melbourne, Elvaston, Coxbench, Quarndon, Little Eaton, Morley, Derbyshire, Duffield, Belper, Heanor, Ripley, Ilkeston, Ripley (Derbyshire Constabulary HQ), Langley Mill, Alfreton, Chesterfield, Matlock (Derbyshire County Council's base), Bakewell, Alfreton, Buxton, Breaston, Long Eaton, Sandiacre, Sawley Nottingham, Sandiacre, Beeston, Coalville, Loughborough, Ashby-De-La-Zouch, Measham Castle Donington, Leicester, Burton-upon-Trent.
Derby's two biggest employers, Rolls-Royce plc and the Toyota Motor Corporation are in engineering manufacturing. Egg, the Internet and telephone bank, has its national base in Derby. Other companies of note include Bombardier who manufacture train systems and aircraft, and Alstom who manufacture large power plant boilers and heat exchangers.
Derby was for many years a railway centre, being the former headquarters of the Midland Railway, with both British Rail workshops and research facilities in the town. Although much less important than in years gone by, train manufacture continues in Derby and Derby railway station retains an important position in the railway network. The city is favoured as a site for a national railway centre.
Derby Gaol is a visitor attraction based in the dungeons of the Derbyshire County Gaol which dates back to 1756.
Derby Industrial Museum is situated in Derby Silk Mill and shows the industrial heritage and technological achievement of Derby, including Rolls-Royce aero engines, railways, mining, quarrying and foundries.
Pickford's House Museum was built by architect Joseph Pickford in 1770. It was his home and business headquarters. Derby Museum and Art Gallery shows paintings by Joseph Wright, as well as fine Royal Crown Derby porcelain, natural history, local regiments and archaeology. Pickford also designed St Helen's House in King Street.
The skyline of the inner city changed in 1968 when the inner ring road with its two new crossings of the River Derwent was built. The route of the ring road went through the St. Alkmund's Church and its Georgian churchyard, the only Georgian square in Derby. Both were demolished to make way for the road, a move still criticised today. Thus the editor (Elizabeth Williamson) of the 2nd edition of Pevsner for Derbyshire wrote:- '...the character and cohesion of the centre has been completely altered by the replacement of a large number of C18 houses in the centre by a multi-lane road. As a traffic scheme this road is said to be a triumph; as townscape it is a disaster.'
The newer buildings along Ford Street and St Alkmund's Way include the Friargate Studios, Joseph Wright College and the Jurys Inn. The hotel dominates the skyline, demoting nearby St Mary's and, indeed, the Cathedral (silhouettes which formerly described the character of the city). The building of the Jurys Inn has altered well liked approach views of the city such as those from the top of Green Lane, Nottingham Road and from Darley Park.
The city has extensive transport links with other areas of the country. The M1 motorway passes about ten miles to the east of the city, linking Derby southwards to the London area and northwards to Sheffield and Leeds. Other major roads passing through or near Derby include the A6 (historically the main route from London to Carlisle, also linking to Leicester and Manchester), A38 (Bodmin to Mansfield via Bristol and Birmingham), A50 (Warrington to Leicester via Stoke-on-Trent), A52 (Newcastle-under-Lyme to Mablethorpe, including Brian Clough Way linking Derby to Nottingham) and A61 (Derby to Thirsk via Sheffield and Leeds).
Derby has been served by railways since 1840 with the opening of the North Midland Railway to Leeds, with a route to London via Rugby provided by the Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway. At the same time, a route to Nottingham and Leicester was opened by the Midland Counties Railway. In 1844, these three companies merged to form the Midland Railway who subsequently opened a direct route to London St Pancras station. The present day station, Derby Midland is on the same site as 1840 and the original platform visibly forms the sub-structure of the modern Platform 1. The Midland Railway frontage was replaced in 1985, and during 2008 and 2009 the 1950s concrete platform canopies were replaced with steel and glass structures.
Derby station is operated by East Midlands Trains and the city is served by expresses to London, the North East and South West, provided by East Midlands Trains and CrossCountry. There also remain local stations at Peartree and Spondon, although services are limited, especially at the former.
The Great Northern Railway's "Derbyshire and North Staffordshire Extension" formerly ran through Derby Friargate Station, from Colwick and Nottingham to Egginton Junction. After closure, part of the route west of Derby was used by British Rail as a test track. Today, the trackbed either side of Derby is blocked only by road development and has been converted to a Sustrans cycle track. The ornate cast iron bridge by Andrew Handyside across Friargate is still in place, as is his bridge over the river.
As a consequence of the Midland Railway basing their headquarters in Derby, along with their Locomotive and Carriage and Wagon Works, the railways had a major influence on the development of the town during the Victorian period. Derby's importance on the railway network was underlined by the development of the Railway Technical Centre, which continues to house railway businesses.
East Midlands Airport is situated about fifteen miles (24 km) from Derby city centre. Its proximity to Derby, the fact that the airport is in Leicestershire, and the traditional rivalry between the three cities (Derby, Leicester and Nottingham), meant that there was controversy concerning the airport's decision to prefix its name with Nottingham in 2004. In 2006, Nottingham East Midlands Airport reverted to its previous name. The airport is served by budget airlines, including Bmibaby (for which East Midlands is a main base), Ryanair and Jet2, with services to domestic and European destinations.
Derby's former bus station was an art deco design by borough architect C.H. Aslin. Built in 1933, it was closed in 2005 and later demolished, despite the protests of environmentalists and conservationists. The unique cafe building is planned to be rebuilt at Crich Tramway Museum. A new bus station has been built on the site as part of the Riverlights development, and is due to open in 2010. Since the closure of the old bus station, services have been using temporary stops on streets around the Morledge area.
Local bus services in and around Derby are run by a number of companies, but principally Trent Barton and Arriva Midlands. The city is on National Express's London to Manchester and Yorkshire to the South West routes. Additionally a regional route between Manchester and Nottingham is run by Trent Barton via its TransPeak and Red Arrow services.
Between 1932 and 1967, Derby Corporation operated a trolleybus system. The last trolleybus ran on 9 September 1967. Several Derby vehicles have been preserved at Sandtoft and the East Anglia Transport Museum.
The annual open-air concert at Darley Park is one of the biggest free concerts of its kind. It is one of many performances given throughout the year by Sinfonia Viva, a professional chamber orchestra based in Derby. The Derby Jazz group caters for the jazz interest in the city and is regarded as one of the UK's leading live jazz organisations. There is also a summer rock music festival Prom in the Park which takes place in late July every year.
Derby Playhouse regularly received acclaim in the national press for its productions, particularly, in recent years, for its staging of shows by Stephen Sondheim. After a lengthy period of financial uncertainty, the theatre closed in February 2008. It was resurrected in September of that year after a new financing package was put together but forced to close again just two months later because of further financial problems.
QUAD See Derby QUAD is a centre for art and film which opened on in 2008. The building has two cinema screens showing independent and mainstream cinema, two gallery spaces housing contemporary visual arts, a digital studio, participation spaces, digital editing suites, artists studio and the bfi Mediatheque.
The Robert Ludlam Theatre is a 270 seat venue with a programme of entertainment including dance, drama, art, music, theatre in the round, comedy, films, family entertainment, rock and pop events, workshops and provides a home for many of Derbyshire's amateur production groups.
Derby is home to several sports clubs.
Derby County, who were FA Cup winners in 1946, Football League champions in 1972 and again in 1975, and are members of the Football League Championship. They have played at Pride Park Stadium since 1997, having been previously based at the Baseball Ground, a stadium built in 1890 as a baseball stadium. One notable baseball player and famous footballer was the Derby legend Steve Bloomer, the baseball was discontinued when the sport failed to attract support. Former managers include Brian Clough, Arthur Cox, Jim Smith, John Gregory and George Burley. Former players include Colin Todd, Roy McFarland (who both later had brief and unsuccessful stints as manager at the club), Peter Shilton, Dean Saunders, Craig Short, Marco Gabbiadini, Horacio Carbonari, Steve Bloomer and Tom Huddlestone.
There are three senior non-league football clubs based in the city. Mickleover Sports play at Station Road, Mickleover and are members of the UniBond League Division One South (the eighth level of the English football league system). Graham Street Prims and Borrowash Victoria are both members of the East Midlands Counties League (level ten) and play on adjacent grounds at the Asterdale complex in Spondon.
Derbyshire County Cricket Club are based at the County Ground in Derby and play almost all home matches there, although matches at Chesterfield were re-introduced in 2006. One of the designated first class county sides, they have won the County Championship once, in 1936.
Derby has clubs in both codes of rugby. In rugby union, Derby RFC play in Midlands Division Two East (the seventh level of English rugby union) at their Haslams Lane ground. Rugby league team Derby City RLFC were formed in 1990 and compete in the Midlands Premier Division of the National Rugby League Conference. From 2008 they are ground sharing with Derby RFC at Haslams Lane.
The city is represented in the English Basketball League Division One by Derby Trailblazers, who play at the Moorways Sports Centre. They were formed in 2002 following the demise of British Basketball League side Derby Storm.
Local industrialist Francis Ley introduced baseball to the town in the late 19th century, and built a stadium near the town centre. The attempt to establish baseball in Derby was unsuccessful, but the stadium survived for some 100 years afterwards as the home of Derby County Football Club. It was demolished in 2003, six years after County's move to Pride Park.
Arthur Keily the marathon runner and Olympian was born in Derbyshire in 1921 and has lived his whole life in Derby. In Rome in 1960 he broke the English Olympic record, recording a time of 2hours 27mins.
Derby Arboretum was the first public park in the country and is thought to have been one of the inspirations for Central Park in New York. Although it suffered from neglect in the 1990s, it has been renovated.
Markeaton Park is Derby's most used leisure facility. It is the venue for the city council's annual Guy Fawkes Night firework display and contains its own light railway. Other major parks in the city include Allestree Park, Darley Park, Chaddesden Park, Alvaston Park, Normanton Park and Osmaston Park.
Shopping in Derby is divided into two main areas. The first is the Westfield Shopping Centre, controlled by the Westfield Group. The second is the older section known as the Cathedral Quarter. This area includes a range of boutiques and coffee shops and is focused around the cathedral and the area around Irongate.
Westfield Derby (incorporating the former Eagle Centre) is the city's main indoor shopping centre. It opened in 2007 after extension work costing £340 million. It contains a food court and a 12-screen cinema (Showcase - Cinema De Lux) which was opened in May 2008. The development was controversial and local opponents accuse it of drawing trade away from the older parts of the city centre where independent shops have traditionally been located. Some of these have experienced a downturn in trade and some have ceased trading since the development opened. In Westfield itself, a combination of high rents and rising rates have made things difficult for smaller traders.
The Friar Gate area contains clubs and bars, making it the centre of Derby's nightlife. Derby is also well provided with pubs.
Like most of the UK, Derby operates a non-selective primary and secondary education system with no middle schools. Pupils attend infant and junior school (often in a combined primary school) before moving onto a comprehensive secondary school. Many secondaries also have sixth forms, allowing pupils to optionally continue their education by taking A Levels after the end of compulsory education at age 16. For those who want to stay in education but leave school, the large Derby College provides a number of post-16 courses.
Outside the state sector, there are four fee-paying independent schools. Derby Grammar School was founded in 1994 and was for boys only, until 2007, when they accepted girls into the sixth form for the first time, who aim to continue the work and traditions of the former Derby School, closed in 1989, one of the oldest schools in England; Derby High School is for girls-only at secondary level and for boys at primary level; and Ockbrook School is an independent school for girls aged 3–18) and boys aged 3–11). Michael House Steiner School can be found in Shipley, Heanor and caters for pupils from kindergarten age through to 16.
Derby has an academy, Landau Forte College, partially state-funded, but also with business backing. It was one of fifteen City Technology Colleges set up in the late 1980s and early 1990s, which was converted into a City Academy in September 2006.
The Derby Telegraph, formerly the Derby Evening Telegraph, is the city's daily newspaper. In addition, a free newspaper, the Derby Express, is delivered to households weekly. The former free Derby Trader weekly newspaper is no longer in print. The daily freesheet 'Metro' is distributed in the city centre every morning, although this only has a very small amount of local content. Another local paper is the weekly Derbyshire Times published every Thursday, which mainly covers news from the north of the county.
BBC Radio Derby, the BBC's local station for Derbyshire and East Staffordshire, is based on St. Helen's Street in the city and offers local, national and international news, features, music and sports commentaries. It has around 150,000 weekly listeners and is available on 104.5 FM and 1116 AM, on 95.3 FM in North and Mid Derbyshire and on 96.0 FM in the Buxton area, as well as being streamed on the internet. The BBC in Derby have their own local website for the area which provides news, travel and weather information, as well as other features. From 1983 to 2008 Radio Derby organised the Money Mountain Appeal, an annual on-air charity auction which raised more than £1 million for local causes. Since July 2007, the BBC has managed Big Screen Derby in the Market Place in conjunction with Derby City Council and the University of Derby, as part of the BBC Big Screen project.
Ram FM, the independent local radio station for Derbyshire and East Staffordshire, is based in the city and offers adult contemporary music and entertainment, with news and traffic bulletins. It broadcasts on 102.8 FM, is streamed on the Internet, and is listened to by around 120,000 people each week. Ram FM is part of the Gcap One Network, and hosts local events, such as the Darley Park Concert, the city bonfire and fireworks, the Christmas lights switch-on, and the Race For Life, raising money for Cancer Research UK.
The twinning agreement with Derby was signed in 1976 in the historical Hall of Peace in Osnabrück's Rathaus (town hall).
Every year, Derby and Osnabrück each appoint an envoy who spends twelve months in the twin city. The envoy promotes the exchange of ideas between the two cities and acts as an educational and information officer to increase awareness of the twinning scheme. The envoy gives talks to local societies and schools, finds pen friends and short term host families during work placements, works to assist groups who want to get involved in twinning by identifying and approaching possible counterparts and plans the annual mayweek trip.
There is an annual exchange between the wind bands of John Port School, Etwall and its twin school Gymnasium Melle in Osnabrück.
The exchange of envoys between two cities is very unusual. The envoy in Osnabrück changes every year and Osnabrück also sends envoys to Derby, Angers and Çanakkale. No other city in Germany participates in this exchange of envoys, and in Britain, only one other town, Wigan, receives and sends an envoy.
The cathedral from Green Lane
Part of the Rolls-Royce Works
Sure Start, Normanton
St Matthew's, Darley Abbey
St Luke's, Stockbrook Street
The Falstaff public house, Normanton
St John's, Bridge Street
Part of the Westfield Centre
Westfield from Babington Lane
Islamic Centre, Wilmot Street
Ex Prison., Ex Greyhound Stadium
St Mary's RC Church
Spa Inn, Abbey Street
Derby Cathedral and the Dolphin Inn
Guru Arjan Dev Gurdwara
Derby Moor Community Sports College and the Millennium Sixth Form Centre
Joseph Wright, St Alkmunds Way
Friar Gate Studios, Ford Street
New Jury's Inn St Alkmond's Way
Roundhouse Derby near completion
Derby is a compact city making it very approachable for pedestrians.
Further information on things to see and do is available from the Derby Tourist Information Centre in the Market Place.
Derby's main shopping centre is called opened Westfield Derby, which opened in October 2007 and sits on the site of the old Eagle Centre. With a wide range of shops including Debenhams, Marks and Spencers and Boots. Westfield have also integrated a food court with just about every food imaginable, including Indian, Noodles, Pie and mash, Jacket Potatoes, or usual fast food outlets such as KFC.
Don't forget to visit the quaint Cathedral Quarter, near the old Market Place. Specialist shops, and some really nice bars, make this place feel extra special. Check out the Cathedral Quarter website for details of shops, restaurants, cafes, bars, nightclubs and special events http://www.derbycathedralquarter.co.uk
Spanish and Tapas
As with most major cities the usual chains such as Nando's, Pizza Express, Frankie & Benny's, Zizzi, La Tasca and Old Orleans are all to be found in the city!
Derby is noted for pubs serving a range of real ales and is home to four microbreweries (small breweries). A few pubs worthy of a visit within the city centre area are:
The Dolphin - Derby's oldest pub, with lots of character. The pub has several small rooms and an outside/partially-covered seating area which houses the pub's beer festivals at various intervals throughout the year. Food - at reasonable prices - is served throughout the day and the evening and there is also an à la carte restaurant upstairs, although not open every night. There is always a good range of well-kept beers. General knowledge quiz on Sundays, music quiz on Tuesdays. Ghost walks can also be booked here. The Flowerpot - This is a lively and atmospheric pub on the northern edge of the city centre that serves a wide range of real ales, including some of its own microbrewery ales.
The Brunswick - The original microbrewery pub in Derby, located right near the train station in a characterful old railway building. The choice of beer on tap here has to be seen to be believed, a place not to be missed!
The Standing Order - Located on Irongate in a former bank, this pub has a truly impressive interior as well as a good selection of real ale. The Standing Order is a Wetherspoons pub.
The Seven Stars, King Street - Traditional pub with real ales housed in a timber-framed building of around 1680.
The city holds one of Britain's largest beer festivals in July, organized by the Derby Branch of the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA).
The majority of bars in Derby are found on Friar Gate, Sadler Gate and Iron Gate. One of the best is Bar Lisi on Sadler Gate, which is nice and intimate.
There is also Big Blue Coffee on Sadlergate that serves up excellent coffees as well as simple food such as crepes and toasted paninis.
Sadler Gate also hosts the infamous BlueNote which has been open for over 20 years sticking to its roots as a grungy underground rot hole.
Derby is generally a very safe city but as with most cities in the UK, common sense with regard to personal safety should prevail when walking around the city late at night.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!|
emma and tobyy are freaking amazing :)
="">See Derby (disambiguation) for articles sharing the title Derby.
DERBY, a municipal, county and parliamentary borough, and the county town of Derbyshire, England, 1284 m. N.N.W. of London by the Midland railway; it is also served by the Great Northern railway. Pop. (1891) 94,146; (1901) 114,848. Occupying a position almost in the centre of England, the town is situated chiefly on the western bank of the river Derwent, on an undulating site encircled with gentle eminences, from which flow the Markeaton and other brooks. In the second half of the 19th century the prosperity of the town was enhanced by the establishment of the head offices and principal workshops of the Midland Railway Company. Derby possesses several handsome public buildings, including the town hall, a spacious range of buildings erected for the postal and inland revenue offices, the county hall, corn exchange and market hall. Among churches may be mentioned St Peter's, a fine building principally of Perpendicular date but with earlier portions; St Alkmund's with its lofty spire, Decorated in style; St Andrew's, in the same style, by Sir G. G. Scott; and All Saints', which contains a beautiful choir-screen, good stained glass and monuments by L. F. Roubiliac, Sir Francis Chantrey and others. The body of this church is in classic style (5725), but the tower was built 1509-1527, and is one of the finest in the midland counties, built in three tiers, and crowned with battlements and pinnacles, which give it a total height of 210 ft. The Roman Catholic church of St Mary is one of the best examples of the work of A. W. Pugin. The Derby grammar school, one of the most ancient in England, was placed in i 160 under the administration of the chapter of Darley Abbey, which lay a little north of Derby. It occupies St Helen's House, once the town residence of the Strutt family, and has been enlarged in modern times, accommodating about 160 boys. The Derby municipal technical college is administered by the corporation. Other institutions include schools of science and art, public library, museum and art gallery, the Devonshire almshouses, a remodelled foundation inaugurated by Elizabeth, countess of Shrewsbury, in the 16th century, and the town and county infirmary. The free library and museum buildings, together with a recreation ground, were gifts to the town from M. T. Bass, M.P. (d. 1884), while an arboretum of seventeen acres was presented to the town by Joseph Strutt in 5840.
Derby has been long celebrated for its porcelain, which rivalled that of Saxony and France. This manufacture was introduced about 1750, and although for a time partially abandoned, it has been revived. There are also spar works where the fluor-spar, or Blue John, is wrought into a variety of useful and ornamental articles. The manufacture of silk, hosiery, lace and cotton formerly employed a large portion of the population, and there are still numerous silk mills and elastic web works. Silk "throwing" or spinning was introduced into England in 1717 by John Lombe, who found out the secrets of the craft when visiting Piedmont, and set up machinery in Derby. Other industries include the manufacture of paint, shot, white and red lead and varnish; and there are sawmills and tanneries. The manufacture of hosiery profited greatly by the inventions of Jedediah Strutt about 1750. In the northern suburb of Littlechester, there are chemical and steam boiler works. The Midland railway works employ a large number of hands. Derby is a suffragan bishopric in the diocese of Southwell. The parliamentary borough returns two members. The town is governed by a mayor, sixteen aldermen and forty-two councillors. Area, 3449 acres.
Littlechester, as its name indicates, was the site of a Roman fort or village; the site is in great part built over and the remains practically effaced. Derby was known in the time of the heptarchy as Northworthig, and did not receive the name of Deoraby or Derby until after it was given up to the Danes by the treaty of Wedmore and had become one of their five boroughs, probably ruled in the ordinary way by an earl with twelve "lawmen" under him. Being won back among the sweeping conquests of zEthelfla d, lady of the Mercians, in 917, it prospered during the 10th century, and by the reign of Edward the Confessor there were 243 burgesses in Derby. However, by 1086 this number had decreased to ioo, while 103 "manses" which used to be assessed were waste. In spite of this the amount rendered by the town to the lord had increased from 24 to £30. The first extant charter granted to Derby is dated 1206 and is a grant of all those privileges which the burgesses of Nottingham had in the time of Henry I. and Henry II., which included freedom from toll, a gild merchant, power to elect a provost at their will, and the privilege of holding the town at the ancient farm with an increase of £io yearly. The charter also provides that no one shall dye cloth within ten leagues of Derby except in the borough. A second charter, granted by Henry III. in 1229, limits the power of electing a provost by requiring that he shall be removed if he be displeasing to the king. Henry III. also granted the burgesses two other charters, one in 1225 confirming their privileges and granting that the comitatus of Derby should in future be held on Thursdays in the borough, the other in 1260 granting that no Jew should be allowed to live in the town. In 1337 Edward III. on the petition of theburgesses granted that they might have two bailiffs instead of one. Derby was incorporated by James I. in 1611 under the name of the bailiffs and burgesses of Derby, but Charles I. in 1637 appointed a mayor, nine aldermen, fourteen brethren and fourteen capital burgesses. In 1680 the burgesses were obliged to resign their charters, and received a new one, which did not, however, alter the government of the town. Derby has been represented in parliament by two members since 1295. In the rebellion of 1745 the young Pretender marched with his army as far south as Derby, where the council was held which decided that he should return to Scotland instead of going on to London.
Among early works on Derby are W. Hutton, History of Derby (London, 1791); R. Simpson, History and Antiquities of Derby (Derby, 1826).
In the 2001 census, the population of the borough was 233,700.
The site of the old Roman fort is at Chester Green. The town was one of the 'Five Boroughs' (fortified towns) of the Danelaw. , England's third tallest Anglican cathedral tower]] Derby recently celebrated its 2,000th year as a settlement.
Research into the history of Derby shows that the Vikings and Anglo-Saxons lived in two areas of land. Derby was described as surrounded by water in the year 900., The areas of land were known as "Northworthy" and Deoraby. THey were on the northside of Derby.