From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Detroit and Mackinac Railway (reporting marks
D&M, DM), informally known as
the "Turtle Line", was a railroad operating in the northeastern
part of the U.S. state
of Michigan. The main line
stretched from the southern hub at Bay City, to its northern hub at Cheboygan. It operated from 1894 to
The Detroit, Bay City and Alpena Railroad, a
short line operating from Bay City northward to the Lake Huron port of Alpena, was
reorganized into the Detroit and Mackinac (D & M) on December
17, 1894. During the late 1890s and the first decade of the
Twentieth Century, the timber resources of northeastern Michigan
were fully utilized and the D & M expanded its trackage
northward from Alpena to Cheboygan. The line prospered, and even
built a stone passenger depot in Harrisville. The D
& M also built many spur lines into tracks of adjacent
timberland. One spur, in service for many years, served the
limestone quarries of Rogers City.
In March, 1976, the Detroit & Mackinac reached its maximum
extent, purchasing a combination of trackage and operating trackage
rights from the remains of the bankrupt Penn Central that
created an alternate main line from Bay City northward, through Gaylord and
Cheboygan, to Mackinaw City.
However, adverse economic conditions continued to affect
railroad operations in the northeastern United States. The Detroit
& Mackinac sold itself to the Lake State Railway Company in 1992,
and ended its existence as an independent railroad.
A collection of D&M artifacts, including a 1920's switching
engine, are housed at the depot in Lincoln, Michigan. The stone depot in
Michigan is also a museum, with rolling stock.
The Detroit & Mackinac called itself the "Turtle Line" and
its logo symbol was "Mackinac Mac". The
railroad bore the hostile backronym of "Defeated & Maltreated".
Constituent companies of the
Detroit and Mackinac
Black River Railroad
Au Sable and Northwestern
Erie and Michigan Railway and