|Durham High School|
|Durham High School, now the main building at Durham School of the Arts|
|Durham, North Carolina
, United States
|Type||Government High school|
Central High School, located on Morris Street, opened in 1906 and served Durham city's white high school students until 1922. This building then was converted to Durham's City Hall and is now the home of the Durham Arts Council (also known as Royall Center for the Arts).
Durham High School replaced Central High School in 1922 on property that once belonged to Brodie L. Duke.
Located next to Durham High School was also the then new Central Junior High School, which opened in 1926. The building was later renamed Julian S. Carr Junior High School in 1945. The junior high closed in 1975 as a new middle school was opened. The Carr building became part of the Durham High School campus.
By the 1970s Durham High School was no longer a majority white school and had in fact become a majority African American high school along with the traditional African American Hillside High School. Durham High School closed as a traditional high school in 1995. Durham School of the Arts opened in 1995 as the Durham Magnet Center for Visual and Performing Arts and later was renamed Durham School of the Arts. The former Durham High School campus now makes up part of the Durham School of the Arts campus, along with the site of the former Carr Middle School. The former Durham High School auto shop is now Durham School of the Art's Black Box Theatre.
Durham High School's football team won five state championships between 1938 and 1945, under Coach Cary Brewbaker. Durham High School, was well-known for its basketball program, in fact Durham High School lead North Carolina in most Men's Basketball State Championships with 13. Before that, during a three-year period, from 1937 through 1940, under Coach Paul Sykes, Durham High's basketball team compiled a phenomenal record of seventy-three straight wins. Included in those wins were championships in the Duke-Durham Invitational Tournament and the Eastern Interscholastic Tournament at Glen Falls, NY. Horace "Bones" McKinney, was the premier player during this three year, undefeated span. McKinney later became a standout collegiate and professional basketball player, ultimately ending up as Head Coach, for many years, at Wake Forest College. The gymnasium at Durham High was later named for Coach Sykes.  In 1969, Dave Odom became Durham High's basketball coach. He was voted the league's coach of the year five times in his seven years there, before becoming a coaching assistant at Wake Forest University.
On January 31, 1989, Mr. Chatilla, a chemistry teacher at Durham High School was injured as he tried to remove a glass vial containing a hazardous substance from the building, and the vial exploded in his face. A recreation of this incident was shown on Rescue 911 the following year. In the episode, it is revealed that one or two students in the room were playing with water, and a one student threw water into a hazardous vial, which had sodium metal, a highly volatile substance that reacts violently when exposed to air or water alone. 
Durham High School closed as DHS but later was reopened and renamed Durham School of the Arts. It still is to this day.