From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Coordinates: 40°40′10″N 73°54′9″W / 40.66944°N
Eastern Park was a baseball park in Brooklyn, New York in the 1890s. It was bounded by
Eastern Parkway (later renamed Pitkin Avenue), Van Sinderen Street,
Sutter Avenue and Powell Street.
It was originally the home of the Brooklyn Ward's Wonders of the
Players' League in 1890. Some
sources say that it is here that the nickname "Trolley Dodgers",
later shortened to "Dodgers", first arose, due to the need for fans
to cross various trolley lines to reach the ballpark. After the
one-year Players' League experiment, the park became the part-time
home of the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1891 and then
full-time during 1892-1897, between their stints at the two
versions of Washington Park.
Eastern Park was considered difficult to reach, and although the
team survived there for seven seasons, the venture there was a
failure. When Charlie Ebbets acquired the Dodgers, he
moved the team back, to the second version of Washington Park, which was
both closer to the city center and offered a lower rent.
The park also hosted numerous college and amateur football games
during its heyday, notably the Princeton-Yale game of