From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Edwin Carlos "Eddie" Colón (born December 21, 1982) is a Puerto Rican professional wrestler. He is currently signed by World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) wrestling on its Raw brand as Primo Colón, or just simply Primo. He is the son of Carlos Colón, Sr. and the younger brother of professional wrestlers Stacy and Carly Colón, who wrestles as Carlito in WWE. The brothers, collectively known as The Colóns, were the first team to hold the WWE Tag Team Championship and the World Tag Team Championship at the same time, making them the first Unified WWE Tag Team Champions.
Colón is the son of retired wrestler Carlos Colón, Sr. and the youngest of four siblings, including Carly Colón and Stacy Colón, both of whom have performed with Colón in the World Wrestling Council. A second sister, Melissa did not enter the wrestling business. Other members of Colón's family have also been involved in the World Wrestling Council, including his uncle José Colón and cousin Orlando Colón who have been involved in several angles within the company.
Professional wrestling career
World Wrestling Council
Colón debuted on 1999, wrestling in the Cruiserweight division. He won the first title on February 10, 2001, when he defeated Damian Steele for the WWC World Junior Heavyweight Championship. His feud with Steele continued for a month, during which time he would drop and recover the title on March 10, 2001. He feuded over the title for the six months losing and winning it once. By autumn, Colón was involved in a storyline involving Justin Sane, continuing a similar pattern. In early 2002, Colón was involved in a storyline with Rey Mysterio, Jr., who defeated Colón for the title on January 6, 2002. Mysterio held the title for two months before dropping it back on April 6, 2002, which marked Colón's final Junior Championship reign. Following a feud with Kid Kash, the belt was held up and Colón ascended to the Heavyweight division. Shortly after Carly Colón signed with WWE, a tournament was organized to determine the new champion. Colón was considered an early favorite and reached the final, but lost. Colón then entered a feud with El Diamante over the WWC Puerto Rico Heavyweight Championship. In late 2004, Colón was involved in a Battle Royal for the first contender's position, which he won. One week later on November 6, 2004, Colón defeated Ramón "El Bronco" Alvarez and won the Universal Heavyweight Championship for the first time in his career. He then entered a feud with El Diamante, eventually dropping the title to him. In late 2006, Colón signed a developmental contract with WWE. On July 31, 2005, he formed a tag team with his father as part of the Funking Conservatory's television show, !Bang!, competing against Dory Funk, Jr. and Johnny Magnum. The team was victorious, winning the promotion's Television Tag Team Championship.
Colón wrestled Christian at Aniversario 2007, the World Wrestling Council's anniversary event that took place in the José Miguel Agrelot coliseum on July 13, 2007. The result of the match was a double count out disqualification.
World Wrestling Entertainment
Florida Championship Wrestling
On May 7, 2007 Colón had a closed door workout match before the Raw television tapings where he was evaluated by the personnel responsible for talent management. On May 8, 2007, Colón participated in a dark match before that night's SmackDown television tapings, where he defeated Shannon Moore.
On January 26, 2008, Colón made his Florida Championship Wrestling debut, defeating Shawn Osbourne. On February 23, Colón and Eric Perez, collectively known as The Puerto Rican Nightmares, defeated Steve Lewington and Heath Miller in a tournament final to become the inaugural FCW Florida Tag Team Champions. The team lost the title to Brad Allen and Nic Nemeth on March 22, 2008, before winning them back via disqualification on April 15, 2008. They lost the title to Drew McIntyre and Stu Sanders on May 7, 2008. On July 17, Colón and Perez reclaimed the title by defeating McIntyre and Sanders. On August 17, Colón and Perez lost the title to Nemeth and Gavin Spears.
Raw and SmackDown
The Colóns as WWE Unified Tag Team Champions
On August 18, 2008, Colón made his WWE debut on the Raw brand under the ring name "Primo Colón" and was involved in a backstage segment with the brand's general manager, Mike Adamle talking about his dislike for his brother Carlito's attitude and how he was nothing like him. His in-ring wrestling debut on the Raw brand took place on August 25, 2008, when he defeated Charlie Haas, dressed as Carlito and named Charlito, in singles competition.
After only one match on Raw, Colón was moved to the SmackDown brand where his animosity for his brother was dropped and they formed a tag team. On September 12, he debuted and teamed with his brother, Carlito, to defeat WWE Tag Team Champions Curt Hawkins and Zack Ryder in a non-title match. Two weeks later, both teams competed in a title rematch, with "The Colóns" winning to become Tag Team Champions. Subsequently, Carlito and Primo entered a feud with World Tag Team Champions John Morrison and The Miz. At WrestleMania XXV, The Colóns defeated Miz and Morrison in a tag team unification match, becoming the first team to hold the newly dubbed "Unified WWE Tag Team Championship". On April 6 they successfully defended their titles for the first time in a rematch.
On April 15, both Primo and Carlito were drafted back to the Raw brand as part of the 2009 Supplemental Draft. They lost the championship at The Bash to the team of Edge and Chris Jericho, who were added to a standard tag team match between the Colóns and The Legacy (Cody Rhodes and Ted DiBiase) moments before the match started. Carlito and Primo invoked their rematch clause the next night on Raw, but were unsuccessful. On the July 6 episode of Raw, they lost again to Edge and Jericho, and afterwards Carlito attacked Primo.
On the July 13 episode of Raw, Primo called out his brother only to have The Miz come out for a match. Primo lost this match after a distraction from Carlito. Afterwards, after losing, Carlito got an apple and spat it in Primo's face. Primo then started a feud with his brother Carlito, even pinning him in a Six Man Tag Team Match.On an episode of WWE Superstars, Primo formed an alliance with Evan Bourne, continueing to feud with his brother Carlito and Chavo Guerrero.This rivalry continued on WWE Superstars, leading the four competitors into a tag team match, which Primo and Bourne were victorious at the event.
Championships and accomplishments
- ^ a b c d e f g h i j "Primo Colon Profile". Online World of Wrestling. http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/profiles/p/primo-colon.html. Retrieved 2008-06-16.
- ^ a b c d e f "Primo Colon profile". World Wrestling Entertainment. http://www.wwe.com/superstars/raw/primo/bio/. Retrieved 2009-04-15.
- ^ a b Martin, Adam (2008-09-22). "Friday Night Smackdown Tapings - Columbus (Last show on CW)". WrestleView.com. http://www.wrestleview.com/news2008/1222057185.shtml. Retrieved 2008-09-22.
- ^ McGyver. "WWC: Entrevista a Carly Colón". Puerto Rico Wrestling. http://www.prwrestling.com/entrevistas/carly.html. Retrieved 2007-07-30.
- ^ "Aniversario 2008: éxito rotundo" (in Spanish). World Wrestling Council. 2008-07-20. http://superestrellaswwc.com/2007/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=147. Retrieved 2008-07-24.
- ^ a b c d Rodriguez, Armando (2006-02-19). "Historical Perspective: WWC World Junior Heavyweight Title 1993- 2005". 411mania.com. http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/columns/37948/Historical-Perspective:-WWC-World-Junior-Heavyweight-Title-1993--2005.htm. Retrieved 2008-05-25.
- ^ a b c d e Rodriguez, Armando (2006-02-08). "Historical Perspective: WWC Universal Title 2000-2005". 411mania.com. http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/columns/37520/Historical-Perspective:-WWC-Universal-Title-2000-2005.htm. Retrieved 2008-05-23.
- ^ "Wrestler Profiles: Primo Colon". Online World of Wrestling. http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/profiles/p/primo-colon.html. Retrieved 2009-04-09.
- ^ Juan Rosario (2007-07-13). "WWC: Resultados Aniversario 2007 en el Choliseo" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 2008-01-31. http://web.archive.org/web/20080131123756/http://www.prwrestling.com/noticiasprw/4299.php. Retrieved 2007-07-13.
- ^ Eduardo Aponte (2007-05-10). "WWE: Eddie Colón también ve acción en “tryout” dentro de RAW". Archived from the original on 2008-01-31. http://web.archive.org/web/20080131123741/http://www.prwrestling.com/noticiasprw/4027.php. Retrieved 2007-05-11.
- ^ Ruiz, Elvin (2007-05-08). "WWE: Eddie Colón hoy en su “tryout” en SmackDown!". Archived from the original on 2008-01-31. http://web.archive.org/web/20080131123736/http://www.prwrestling.com/noticiasprw/4017.php. Retrieved 2007-05-08.
- ^ "February 23, 2008 FCW results" (in German). Cagematch.de. http://www.cagematch.de/?id=1&nr=18235. Retrieved 2008-02-24.
- ^ Sitterson, Aubrey (2008-08-18). "Hometown Heartbreak". World Wrestling Entertainment. http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/archive/08182008/. Retrieved 2008-08-26.
- ^ Sitterson, Aubrey (2008-08-26). "Championship Scramble scrambled". World Wrestling Entertainment. http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/archive/08252008/. Retrieved 2008-08-26.
- ^ Burdick, Michael (2009-04-05). "Brothers United". World Wrestling Entertainment. http://www.wwe.com/shows/wrestlemania/matches/9592012/results/. Retrieved 2009-04-17.
- ^ Plummer, Dale (2009-04-06). "Raw: The Animal destroys Legacy". Slam! Sports. Canadian Online Explorer. http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2009/04/06/9032951.html. Retrieved 2009-04-17.
- ^ "2009 WWE Supplemental Draft results". World Wrestling Entertainment. 2009-04-15. http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/2009draft/2009supplementaldraftresults/. Retrieved 2009-04-15.
- ^ Elliott, Brian (2009-06-29). "Mysterio & Jericho save The Bash from wash-out". Slam! Sports. Canadian Online Explorer. http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/PPVReports/2009/06/29/9968166.html. Retrieved 2009-07-07.
- ^ Plummer, Dale (2009-06-30). "Raw: Dubious guest host makes Orton run "The Gauntlet"". Slam! Sports. Canadian Online Explorer. http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2009/06/30/9977216.html. Retrieved 2009-07-07.
- ^ Bishop, Matt (2009-07-07). "Raw: A Million Dollar edition". Slam! Sports. Canadian Online Explorer. http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2009/07/07/10045671.html. Retrieved 2009-07-07.
- ^ Dominick Mayer. "3/10 ECW on Sci-Fi Report: Mayer's alt. perspective review of Primo vs. Morrison, Christian in the Bank". http://www.pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/TV_Reports_9/article_30623.shtml. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- ^ a b c Wade Keller. "Keller's WWE Raw Report 7/20: Results, star ratings, thoughts, observations, nitpicks, quotebook". http://www.pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/font_color_770000_KELLER_S_TAKE_font_11/article_33755.shtml. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- ^ a b Dominick Mayer. "3/10 ECW on Sci-Fi Report: Mayer's alt. perspective review of Primo vs. Miz, Christian in the Bank". http://www.pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/TV_Reports_9/article_30623.shtml. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- ^ Greg Parks. "Parks' WWE SmackDown Report 12/12: Ongoing "virtual time" coverage of the show, including HHH vs. Jeff Hardy". http://www.pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/TV_Reports_9/article_28546.shtml. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- ^ Jonathan Bain. "Depth Perception 10/19: Champion Power Rankings and a Depth Chart of Their Contenders". http://www.pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/The_Specialists_34/article_27322.shtml. Retrieved 2009-09-24.
- ^ "Oh Puerto Rico (Legal Title)". Broadcast Music Incorporated. http://repertoire.bmi.com/title.asp?blnWriter=True&blnPublisher=True&blnArtist=True&page=1&keyid=10928300&ShowNbr=0&ShowSeqNbr=0&querytype=WorkID. Retrieved 2010-01-15.
- ^ "WWE The Music - A New Day, Volume 10 (Amazon MP3 Exclusive)". Amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/WWE-Music-New-Amazon-Exclusive/dp/B0035DH9GC. Retrieved 2010-01-29.
- ^ "Florida Championship Wrestling Florida Tag Team Title". Wrestling-titles.com. http://www.wrestling-titles.com/us/fl/fcw/fcw-fl-t.html. Retrieved 2009-05-07.
- ^ Clark, Ryan (2008-09-18). "The Complete 'PWI 500' List For 2008". Pro Wrestling Illustrated. WrestlingInc.com. http://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2008/918/randy_orton_346514.shtml. Retrieved 2009-03-12.
- ^ "WWC Puerto Rican Heavyweight Title History". Wrestling Information Archive. http://100megsfree4.com/wiawrestling/pages/old/wwcpr.htm. Retrieved 2009-05-07.
- ^ "Independent Wrestling Results - November 2004". Online World of Wrestling. http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/results/other/2004-11.html. Retrieved 2008-07-05.
- ^ "WWC World Junior Heavyweight Title History". Wrestling Information Archive. http://www.100megsfree4.com/wiawrestling/pages/old/wwcjr.htm. Retrieved 2009-05-07.
- ^ "WWC tag team championships lineage". Wrestling-titles.com. http://www.wrestling-titles.com/us/pr/wwc/wwc-t.html. Retrieved 2008-05-07.
- ^ "Carlito and Primo's first World Tag Team Championship reign". World Wrestling Entertainment. http://www.wwe.com/inside/titlehistory/worldtagteam/20090405WorldTagChamps1. Retrieved 2009-05-07.
- ^ "Carlito & Primo Colon's first reign". World Wrestling Entertainment. http://www.wwe.com/inside/titlehistory/wwetag/8161172. Retrieved 2008-10-03.
Links to related articles