The Full Wiki

More info on Eichstatt

Eichstatt: Wikis


Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

(Redirected to Eichstätt article)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eichstätt
Coat of arms of Eichstätt
Eichstätt is located in Germany
Eichstätt
Coordinates 48°53′31″N 11°11′2″E / 48.89194°N 11.18389°E / 48.89194; 11.18389
Administration
Country Germany
State Bavaria
Admin. region Upper Bavaria
District Eichstätt
Lord Mayor Arnulf Neumeyer (SPD)
Basic statistics
Area 47.84 km2 (18.47 sq mi)
Elevation 371-534 m
Population 13,721  (31 December 2006)
 - Density 287 /km2 (743 /sq mi)
Other information
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Licence plate EI
Postal codes 85072, 85067
Area code 08421
Website www.eichstaett.de
Location of the town of Eichstätt within Eichstätt district
Map
Residenzplatz in the centre of Eichstätt
Eichstätt cathedral - view into the western choir

Eichstätt (German pronunciation: [ˈaɪçʃtɛt], formerly also Eichstädt or Aichstädt) is a city in the federal state of Bavaria, Germany, and capital of the District of Eichstätt. It is located along the Altmühl River, at 48°53′30″N 11°11′0″E / 48.89167°N 11.183333°E / 48.89167; 11.183333, and had a population of 13,078 in 2002. It is home to the Katholische Universität Eichstätt-Ingolstadt, the lone Catholic university in Germany.

St. Willibald founded the Bishopric of Eichstätt on the site of an old Roman station in 741. The city was chartered in 908 and ruled by a prince-bishop until secularization in 1802, and became a part of Bavaria in 1806. In 2008, the city celebrated the 1100th anniversary of its charter. Eichstätt was included as part of the Landgraviate of Leuchtenberg, which Maximilian I Joseph of Bavaria granted to his son-in-law Eugène de Beauharnais in 1817 and an episcopal see was reestablished in 1821. The town reverted back to Bavaria in 1855. Eichstätt is famous for the quarries of Solnhofen Stone and Jurassic limestone. On the Blumenberg the Berlin specimen of Archaeopteryx was found by Jakob Niemeyer.

Mayor of Eichstätt is Arnulf Neumeyer (SPD).


1911 encyclopedia

Up to date as of January 14, 2010

From LoveToKnow 1911

EICHSTATT, a town and episcopal see of Germany, in the kingdom of Bavaria, in the deep and romantic valley of the Altmuhl, 35 m. S. of Nuremberg, on the railway to Ingolstadt and Munich. Pop. (1905) 7701. The town, with its numerous spires and remains of medieval fortifications, is very picturesque. It has an Evangelical and seven Roman Catholic churches, among the latter the cathedral of St Wilibald (first bishop of Eichstatt), - with the tomb of the saint and numerous pictures and relics, - the church of St Walpurgis, sister of Wilibald, whose remains rest in the choir, and the Capuchin church, a copy of the Holy Sepulchre. Of its secular buildings the most noticeable are the town hall and the Leuchtenberg palace, once the residence of the prince bishops and later of the dukes of Leuchtenberg (now occupied by the court of justice of the district), with beautiful grounds. The Wilibaldsburg, built on a neighbouring hill in the 14th century by Bishop Bertold of Hohenzollern, was long the residence of the prince bishops of Eichstatt, and now contains an historical museum. There are an episcopal lyceum, a clerical seminary, a classical and a modern school, and numerous religious houses. The industries of the town include bootmaking, brewing and the production of lithographic stones.

Eichstatt (Lat. Aureatum or Rubilocus) was originally a Roman station which, after the foundation of the bishopric by Boniface in 745, developed into a considerable town, which was surrounded with walls in 908. The bishops of Eichstatt were princes of the Empire, subject to the spiritual jurisdiction of the archbishops of Mainz, and ruled over considerable territories in the Circle of Franconia. In 1802 the see was secularized and incorporated in Bavaria. In 1817 it was given, with the duchy of Leuchtenberg, as a mediatized domain under the Bavarian crown, by the king of Bavaria to his son-in-law Eugene de Beauharnais, ex-viceroy of Italy, henceforth styled duke of Leuchtenberg. In 1855 it reverted to the Bavarian crown.


<< Karl Friedrich Eichhorn

Karl Eduard Von Eichwald >>








Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message