|Finck von Finckenstein|
Battle cry: Sub Utraque Duce
|Alternative names||Interpretation: Under one leadership (represented by the star) should the family always stay together in good times and in bad times (represented by the rising and setting half moons)|
|Earliest mention||in the Levant long before the Third Crusade in 1189; as a trophy brought to Germany|
|Towns||Acre in the Levant, Deutsch-Eylau and Finckenstein in East Prussia|
|Families||Finck von Finckenstein|
The first representative of this family appeared authentically with 'Nicze of Roghusen' in 1388 in Roggenhausen in East Prussia according to the state archive in Koenigsberg. Under its current name, the house appears authentically in 1451 with 'Michael Fincke' who calls himself 'Finck von Roggenhausen' in 1474. The family became 1710 as 'Finck von Finckenstein' Imperial Counts (Reichsgrafen) of the Holy Roman Empire and Counts (Grafen) in Prussia.
The Finck von Finckenstein's Imperial Count Diploma of 1710 determines as the cradle of the house of Finck von Finckenstein the today dilapidated Finkenstein castle ruin in Carinthia. Hereafter the house appears for the first time 1143 with Gotwold von Finkenstein, Master of Finkenstein in Carinthia. The Carinthian branch of the Finckensteins died in the 14th century, a junior branch, however, joined the Knights Hospitaller in order to conquer and christianise Old Prussia after possibly participating in the Third Crusade. Again, according to the Imperial Count Diploma Konrad Finck von Finckenstein, originally from Carinthia, came in 1300 with 100 knights to join the Order of St John in its drive to conquer Old Prussia along side the Teutonic Knights.