The Full Wiki

Flixecourt: Wikis


Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coordinates: 50°00′49″N 2°04′55″E / 50.0136°N 2.0819°E / 50.0136; 2.0819

Commune of Flixecourt

Paris plan pointer b jms.svg
Map highlighting the commune of
Country France
Region Picardie
Department Somme
Arrondissement Amiens
Canton Picquigny
Intercommunality Val de Nièvre et environs
Mayor René Lognon
Elevation 6–105 m (20–340 ft)
(avg. 82 m/270 ft)
Land area1 11.84 km2 (4.57 sq mi)
Population2 3,185  (2006)
 - Density 269 /km2 (700 /sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 80318/ 80420
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.
2 Population sans doubles comptes: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Flixecourt is a commune in the Somme department in Picardie in northern France.



Flixecourt is situated on the N1 road and the banks of the river Nièvre, a tributary of the river Somme, some 20 miles (32 km) south of Abbeville. A junction with the A16 autoroute is about a mile away.


In the 12th century, Flixecourt was a fief of Amiens and the site of a leper hospice.

The fiefdom passed to the Louvencourt family, then in 1276 to the Fieffes family, who built a priory, entrusting the management of it to the vidame of Picquigny,
The town that was established here comprised 140 homes at the start of the Hundred Years War, but only 40 in 1548.
In 1545, Charles d'Ailly obtained permission from the King to create a weekly market. This privilege continued for his son, Louis d'Ailly, in 1567.
In 1603, a huge fire burnt down half the town.
Near the site of the present-day church are vestiges of a château, mentioned in a notarial document in 1618, in which Philibert-Emmanuel d’Ailly, granted the structure to a certain Louis de la Massonière, provided he financed the repairs.
Towards the end of the French revolution, the château belonged to the Croquoison family.
The present church was built in 1721. The town’s commerce at this time was based on the production of peat and of linen
In 1815, there were two watermills and two windmills.

The discovery of a new natural fibre, jute, changed the destiny of both the town and the region. In 1840, the Saint brothers set up a weaving factory, employing locals and Scottish weavers. The factory was electrified in 1907. Before the outbreak of World War I, 14,000 people were employed here.

The town was the factory, and the factory was the town. The owners set in place all manner of improvements to the daily and social life of the workers. Piped water supplies and electricity to all homes, a school, a creche, a pharmacy, a maternity hospital and a cooperative. After World War II and the advent of man-made fibres, the factory went into irreversible decline.


Population history
1962 1968 1975 1982 1990 1999 2006
3285 3459 3546 3276 2931 2978 3185
Starting in 1962: Population without duplicates

Places of interest

The town has a rich architectural heritage, typical of the first industrial revolution. Many are in a bad state of repair. Some have been restored but more needs to be done.

  • The château (Folly) of the Saint family
  • The buildings of ‘La Prévoyance’, near the railway
  • The church (the tower was rebuilt in 1940)
  • The railway station, dating from 1875, (destroyed by a fire at the beginning of the 21st century)


Teddy Bertin, a French professional footballer, was born at Flixecourt

See also


External links



Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address