The Full Wiki

More info on Fluting (architecture)

Fluting (architecture): Wikis


Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.


From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Spiral fluted columns in Apamea

Fluting in architecture refers to the shallow grooves running vertically along a surface.

It typically refers to the grooves running on a column shaft or a pilaster, but need not necessarily be restricted to those two applications. If the hollowing out of material meets in a point, the point is called an Arris.

If the lower half of the hollowed-out grooves appear to have been re-filled with a cylindrical element, it may be referred to as "Cabled Fluting."[1]


  1. ^ "Fluting." Dictionary of Architecture & Landscape Architecture. John Fleming, Hugh Honour, and Nikolaus Pevsner. 5th ed. (London: Penguin, 1999).

See also

External links


Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address