Francisca del Espiritu Santo Fuentes: Wikis

Advertisements
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Servant of God Francisca del Espiritu Santo Fuentes
founder, Dominican Sisters of Saint Catherine of Siena
Born 1647, Manila, Philippines Philippines
Died 24 August 1711, Intramuros, Manila, Philippines Philippines
Venerated in Roman Catholic Church
Feast 24 August
Patronage Congregation of the Dominican Sisters of St. Catherine of Siena

Mother Francisca del Espiritu Santo (1647 – August 24, 1711) is a Spanish-Filipina Roman Catholic religious figure. She is the first Prioress of the Congregation of the Dominican Sisters of St. Catherine of Siena in the Philippines.

Contents

Life

Francisca de Fuentes was born to Don Simon de Fuentes, a Spaniard and Doña Ana Maria del Castillo y Tamayo, a Spanish mestiza from Manila in 1647. Francisca grew up to be a fine lady, and she was given in marriage to a gentleman who, by the inscrutable design of God, did not live long, leaving her a childless young widow.

Francisca then dedicated her time to prayer and social service helping many poor and sick in the city. In a vision in which she saw St. Francis and S. Dominic, she prostrated herself before St. Dominic. Because of this, she chose to be a Dominican, being admitted as a tertiary in 1682. She chose the name “ Francisca del Espiritu Santo”.

In 1686, Francisca, Antonia de Jesus Esquerra, Maria Ana de Fuentes (blood-sister of Mother Francisca), and Sebastian Salcedo requested that they be allowed to live together in a life of prayer and the practice of the virtues while continuing their social apostolate. After a brief hesitatuion, their request was sent to the Master General of Order of Preachers in Rome, who approved it on January, 1688.

Meanwhile, the erstwhile director of the Third Order, Fr. Juan de Santa Maria, who favored the request of the ladies, was assigned to Bataan, and Fr. Juan de Santo Domingo was assigned in his place. The new Director was against the project and the proposal was laid aside. Mother Francisca and her companion were deeply dismayed, but Mother Sebastiana prophesied that although she and Mother Antonia would not live to see it, the Beaterio would be a reality.

Mother Francisca was progressively maturing spiritually, and her desire for serving the needy grew more and more. The desire for the realization of the Beaterio also grew more intense so that one day, after confession, she opened once more the subject to Fr. Juan de Santo Domingo, and she got scolded for her. “impatience’. But bravely, she told Fr. Juan with a tone of prophecy: “ Father Prior, the Beaterio will be established, and Your Reverence will see it”.

Fr. Juan de Santo Domingo was enlightened and became one of the powerful supporters of the Beaterio project. Under his direction, Mother Francisca and her companions lived at first the house of Mother Antonia de Esguerra who had by then died.

On the feast of St. Anne in 1696, the Beaterio was formally established with Fr. Juan de Santo Domingo, then Provincial, presiding. And on this joyful occasion, Mother Francisca was appointed first and founding Prioress for life. The first community consisted of Mother Francisca, Mother Maria, and Mother Rosa de Santa Maria. The community was placed under the patronage of St. Catherine of Siena and accepted in the Provincial Chapter of 1698.

But their joy would not last very long, for in 1703, Manila Archbishop Don Diego Camacho wanted the Beaterio under his jurisdiction. The conflict grew until Archbishop Camacho excommunicated Mother Francisca, and put the other sisters under interdict. To avoid scandal, the beatas removed their habits and with the help of the Governor General and counsel from the Dominican Fathers, they went into “exile” at the Santa Potenciana College, there to stay for over two years in “ Babylonian Exile”.

Mother Francisca suffered the most under these grave trials, but with heroic courage, she and most of the Sisters increased their religious and hoping for the day of victory.

Since part of the opposition against the Beaterio was a question of finances, very valuable help came from a lay Dominican Tertiary, Don Juan de Escaño y Cordova, who in 1704 assured the Beatas an annual subsidy through the Dominican Province of the Holy Rosary of two thousands pesos – a considerable sum in those days.

The time of triumph came in 1706 when after some negotiations, their former opponent Archbishop Camacho changed heart and began to show himself sympathetic to the Beatas. With the help of the Governador General and the Dominican Fathers, Mother Francicsca and her Sister returned to their original home, having donned once more their Dominican habits, there to live under the rules set for them as beatas, with a few added features of their religious life as prescribed by the Archbishop. The permit from the Archbishop is dated 26 March 1706. With Mother Francisca at the time of their return were (15) fifteen Spanish Sisters including a novice, and in addition, there were lay Sisters and a girl who eventually donned the habit. It was in the same year that the Beaterio became a Beaterio-Colegio which admitted Spanish girls, “mestizas” and natives, instructing them in the (4) four R’s Religion, Reading Writing and Arithmetic with Music, Embroidery, Flower Making, etc.

The major trials having passed, Mother Francisca continued with even greater ardor her pursuit of spiritual perfection for herself and for spiritual daughters. Like the brave and strong woman that she was she governed the Beaterio with great prudence and fidelity to the Rule, making the Eucharist the sublime center of the community’s spiritual life. To do this in the absence of a Chapel for the Blessed Sacrament in the Beaterio, she importuned, against many difficulties, the Fathers of San Juan de Letran College, to build a corridor connecting the Beaterio to the chapel of the Blessed Sacraments in the Church of Letran. As always, her prayers eventually prevailed.

Wornout physically by her perpetual acts of mortification, and her continual strunggle to secure the solid establishment of the Beaterio, she became ill and was suffering with heroic resignation and humility for several months, edifying everyone with her extraordinary spiritual life. And on the feast of St. Bartholomew on 24 August 1711, she was born to eternal life, leaving behind her living witness to her love of God and neighbor- the Beaterio de Santa Catalina de Sena which lives vigorously as ever up to this day as the Congregation of Dominican Sisters of St. Catherine de Siena.

As a Sister Prioress

The Beaterio de Sta. Catalina was founded by Fr. Juan de Sto. Domingo, O.P. of Spain on July 26, 1696 and Mother Francisca was appointed Prioress for life. The first community consisted of Mother Francisca, Mother Maria, and Mother Rosa de Santa Maria. The community was placed under the patronage of St. Catherine of Siena and accepted in the Provincial Chapter of 1698.

Conflict over the installation of a beaterio

Then Manila Archbishop, Don Diego Camacho, wanted the Beaterio under his jurisdiction, and the conflict grew until Archbishop Camacho excommunicated Mother Francisca, and put the other sisters under interdict. To avoid scandal, the beatas removed their habits and with the help of the Governor General and counsel from the Dominican Fathers, they went into “exile” at the Santa Potenciana College, staying there for over 2 years. The Archbishop later showed some pity and with a permit dated 26 March 1706, allowed Mother Francicsca and her sister to return to their original home, having donned once more their Dominican habits, where they lived under the rules set for them as beatas, with a few added features of their religious life as prescribed by the Archbishop.

With Mother Francisca at the time of their return were (15) fifteen Spanish sisters including a novice, and in addition, there were lay Sisters and a girl who eventually donned the habit. It was in the same year that the Beaterio became a Convent School for Spanish girls, mestizas and natives, instructing them in the four R’s: religion, reading, writing and arithmetic with music, embroidery, flower making, etc.

Death

Mother Francisca died at 3:00 p.m. of August 24, 1711. She was buried at the gospel side of the chapel of Colegio de San Juan de Letran. She left behind the Beaterio de Santa Catalina de Siena which still stands to this day as the Congregation of the Dominican Sisters of St. Catherine of Siena.

Beatification process

On March 11, 2003, She was elevated to be a Servant of God after giving upon the go-signal "Nulla osta" with protocol number 2533.

See also

References

Advertisements

Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message