The Full Wiki

Gateshead Talmudical College: Wikis

Advertisements
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coordinates: 54°57′11″N 1°36′38″W / 54.95306°N 1.61056°W / 54.95306; -1.61056

Gateshead Talmudical College (Hebrew: ישיבת בית יוסף גייטסהעד‎), popularly known as Gateshead Yeshiva, is located in the town of Gateshead in England. It is the largest Haredi yeshiva in Europe and considered to be one of the most prestigious advanced yeshivas in the Orthodox world. The student body currently (2007) numbers 350. Although students are mainly British, there are European, American and Israeli pupils, as well as some from South Africa, Argentina and Australia.

The yeshiva was founded in Gateshead in 1929 by Reb Dovid Dryan, with the Chofetz Chaim serving as an active patron and appointing the original heads of the yeshiva. The first rosh yeshiva and menahel (principal) were respectively Rabbi Nachman Landinski and Rabbi Eliezer Kahan, both alumni of the famed Novardok yeshiva. At its conception, Gateshead Yeshiva was seen as a branch of Novardok, officially sharing its doctrines, ideals and methodology and named "Yeshivas Beis Yosef" in common with other branches of Novardok.

Gateshead Talmudical College about 1930, rabbis and students[1]

Contents

Faculty

Advertisements

Present

Junior Faculty

  • Rabbi Naftoli (Totty) Lebrecht, head of Students body
  • Rabbi Yaakov Prijs, Gabbai
  • Rabbi Shimshon Refoel Lieberman, Shoel Umeishiv
  • Rabbi Efraim ("Effy") Serfaty, Kitchen Manager

Past

Rosh yeshivas:

Principals:

  • Rabbi Eliezer Kahan, an alumnus of Novardok yeshiva
  • Rabbi Ze'ev Cohen (retired November 2007; died 7 October 2009), an alumnus of Chevron yeshiva, son in law of Rabbi Kahan.

Mashgichim:

Prominent alumni

Over its 75-year history, Gateshead Yeshiva has produced literally thousands of learned alumni, among them hundreds of prominent rabbis, businessmen and professionals.

  • Dayan Yonason Abraham (dayan on the London Beth Din
  • Rabbi Harvey Belovski (rabbi of Golders Green Synagogue)
  • Rabbi Zvi Cohen (rabbi of Kingsbury Synagogue)
  • Rabbi Jeremy Conway (head of London Beth Din Kashrut Division)
  • Dayan Aaron Dovid Dunner (Rabbi of Addas Yisroel, Tottenham and [[dayan of the UOHC)
  • Rabbi Pini Dunner (rabbi and media personality)
  • Dayan Chanoch Ehrentreu, (head dayan of London Beth Din
  • Professor Paul Franks (chair of Jewish Philosophy, University of Toronto)
  • Rabbi Shmuel Freilich (melamed at Pardes House Primary School)
  • Rabbi Meir Gelley
  • Rabbi Yisroel Meir Greenberg (Rabbi of Golders Green Beth Hamedrash "Munk's" http://ggbh.info)
  • Rabbi Moshe Hool (Rabbi of Kingsbury Shul in London from 1957-2004)
  • Rabbi Chaim Horowitz (head of Antwerp Kolel)
  • Dayan Casriel Dovid Kaplin ([[dayan of London Beth Din)
  • Rabbi Daniel Lapin
  • Professor Ze'ev Lev (founder of the Jerusalem College of Technology)
  • Rabbi Yossi Chaim Pollack (rabbi at Yeshivas Ohr Reuvein)
  • Rabbi Shimon Yisroel Posen (melamed at Pardes House Grammar School)
  • Rabbi Ben Zion Rabinowicz of Biala-Lugano (Grand Rabbi (Rebbe) of Bialer)
  • Dayan Boruch Rapoport (dayan of Johannesburg Beth Din)
  • Rabbi Uren Reich
  • Rabbi Jonathan Rietti (lecturer at Gateways)
  • Rabbi Aryeh Schuster
  • Rabbi Ezer Schwalbe (lecturer in Talmudic law and jurisprudence in Manchester)
  • Dayan Shmuel Simons (dayan of (London Beth Din)
  • Rabbi Eli Segal (melamed at Pardes House Grammar School)
  • Alex Strom (Jewish Tribune columnist, community activist)
  • Rabbi Nosson Tremble (Rabbi Washington Hebrew Congregation)

Buildings and Structure

The original building of the yeshiva was at 179 Bewick Road. As the yeshiva expanded it acquired neighbouring properties in Rectory Road and 177 Bewick Road. In 1961 a new building was erected at 88 Windermere Street to house a new beth hamedresh (the hall used for study and prayer), with the dining room on the floor below and the kitchens in the basement. The old beth hamedrash building at 179 Bewick Road and neighbouring houses in Rectory Road were demolished to make way for a new two-storey dormitory block, Clore House, which was opened in 1963, forming the beginnings of the yeshiva campus. A later three-storey building further up Bewick Road joined the first dormitory block, and attached the yeshiva dormitories with the back of the study hall via a bridge. Later on,in 1992, a new building, Sebba House was built, which consisted of a state-of-the-art dormitory building for about 70 students. Later, in 1997 a new building, Tiferes Yonasan, was erected, which attached the study hall further down Windermere Street to the dormitories and extended the main building, including the study hall and the dining room. The last extension on the right hand side added more lecture halls. In addition these extensions created a courtyard leading on from the back alley, from Rydal Street.

References

"Gateshead: Its community, Its personalities, Its Institutions" by Miriam Dansky, ISBN 0-944070-88-4 is a unique history of the Gateshead Jewish community and in particular its famous yeshiva.

contracting by Y.D. Bamberger

Hashkafa

The yeshiva is a scion of the original Novardok yeshiva in Europe.


Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message