|Motto: Gdynia - miasto z morza i marzeń
(Gdynia - a city built of sea and dreams)
|City rights||February 10, 1926|
|- Mayor||Wojciech Szczurek|
|- Vice President||Ewa Łowkiel|
|- Vice President||Michał Guć|
|- Vice President||Bogusław Stasiak|
|- Vice President||Marek Stępa|
|- Total||136 km2 (52.5 sq mi)|
|Highest elevation||205 m (673 ft)|
|Lowest elevation||0 m (0 ft)|
|- Density||1,830.1/km2 (4,739.8/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|- Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Postal code||81-004 to 81-919|
|Area code(s)||+48 58|
Located in Kashubia in Eastern Pomerania, Gdynia is part of a conurbation with the spa town of Sopot, the city of Gdańsk and suburban communities, which together form a metropolitan area called the Tricity (Trójmiasto), with a population of over a million people.
The area of the later city of Gdynia shared its history with Pomerelia (Eastern Pomerania); in prehistoric times it was the center of Oksywie culture; it was later populated by Slavs with some Baltic Prussian influences.
The decision to build a major seaport at the Gdynia village was made by the Polish government in the winter of 1920, in the midst of the Polish-Soviet War (1919–1920). The authorities and seaport workers of the Free City of Danzig felt Poland's economic rights in the city were being misappropriated to help fight the war. The workers went on strike, and Poland realized the need for a port city it was in complete control of, economically and politically.
Construction of Gdynia seaport was started in 1921, but because of financial difficulties was conducted slowly and with interruptions. It was accelerated after the Sejm (Polish parliament) passed the Gdynia Seaport Construction Act on 23 September 1922. By 1923 a 550-metre pier, 175 metres of a wooden tide breaker, and a small harbour had been constructed. Ceremonial inauguration of Gdynia as a temporary military port and fishers' shelter took place on 23 April 1923, and the first major seagoing ship arrived on 13 August 1923.
To speed up the construction works, the Polish government in November 1924 signed a contract with the French-Polish Consortium for Gdynia Seaport Construction, which by the end of 1925 had built a small seven-metre-deep harbour, the south pier, part of the north pier, a railway, and had also ordered the trans-shipment equipment. The works were going more slowly than expected, however. They accelerated only after May 1926, because of an increase in Polish exports by sea, economic prosperity, the outbreak of the German–Polish trade war which reverted most Polish international trade to sea routes, and also thanks to the personal engagement of Eugeniusz Kwiatkowski, Polish Minister of Industry and Trade, also responsible for construction of Centralny Okręg Przemysłowy. Till the end of 1930 docks, piers, breakwaters and many auxiliary and industrial installations were constructed (such as depots, trans-shipment equipment, and a rice processing factory) or started (such as a large clod room).
Trans-shipments rose from 10,000 tons (1924) to 2,923,000 tons (1929). At this time Gdynia was the only transit and special seaport designed for coal exports. In the years 1931–1939 the Gdynia harbour was further extended to become a universal seaport. In 1938 Gdynia was the largest and most modern seaport on the Baltic Sea, as well as the tenth biggest in Europe. The trans-shipments rose to 8.7 million tons, which was 46% of Polish foreign trade. In 1938 the Gdynia shipyard started to build its first full-sea ship, the Olza.
The city was constructed later than the seaport. In 1925 a special committee was inaugurated to build the city; city expansion plans were designed and city rights were granted in 1926, and tax privileges were granted for investors in 1927. The city started to grow significantly after 1928 and the population grew rapidly to over 120,000 in 1939.
The city and seaport were occupied in September 1939 by German troops and renamed Gotenhafen after the Goths, an ancient Germanic tribe, who had lived around there. Some 50,000 Polish citizens, who after 1920 had been brought into the area by the Polish government, after the decision to enlarge the harbour was made, were expelled into the General Gouvernment. Kashubians who were suspected to support the Polish cause, particularly those with higher education, were arrested and executed, the main place of executions being Piaśnica (Groß Plaßnitz), where according 12,000 were executed. The German administrator of the area Albert Forster considered Kashubians of "low value" and did not support any attempts to create Kashubian nationality. Some Kashubians organized anti-Nazi resistance groups, "Gryf Kaszubski" (later "Gryf Pomorski"), and the exiled "Zwiaziek Pomorski" in Great Britain.
The harbour was turned into a German naval base. The shipyard was expanded in 1940 and became a branch of the Kiel shipyard (Deutsche Werke Kiel A.G.). Gotenhafen became an important German naval base, due to its being relatively distant from the war theater, and many German large ships - battleships and heavy cruisers were harbored there. Both the seaport and the shipyard witnessed several air raids by the Allies from 1943 onwards, but suffered little damage. The seaport area was largely destroyed by withdrawing German troops and millions of encircled refugees in 1945 being bombarded by Soviet Military (90% of the buildings and equipment were destroyed) and the harbour entrance was blocked by the German battlecruiser Gneisenau that had been brought to Gotenhafen for major repairs.
The harbour of Gotenhafen was also used in winter 1944-45 to evacuate German troops and refugees trapped by the Red Army. Some of the ships were hit by torpedoes from Soviet submarines in the Baltic Sea on the route West. For example, the ship Wilhelm Gustloff sank taking about 9,400 people with her– the worst loss of life in a single sinking in maritime history.
On March 28, 1945, Gotenhafen was captured by the Soviets and assigned to Polish Gdańsk Voivodeship, who again re-named it Gdynia.
In the Polish 1970 protests, worker demonstrations took place at Gdynia Shipyard. Workers were fired upon by the police. The fallen became symbolized by a fictitious worker Janek Wiśniewski, commemorated in a song by Mieczysław Cholewa, Pieśń o Janku z Gdyni. One of Gdynia's important streets is named after Janek Wiśniewski. The same person was portrayed by Andrzej Wajda in his movie Man of Iron as Mateusz Birkut. Ernst Stavro Blofeld, the archenemy of the character James Bond known for his white persian cat, comes from Gdynia.
On December 4, 1999, a storm destroyed a huge crane in a shipyard, which was able to lift 900 tons.
In October, 2009, a sailor cleaning a machine gun aboard the USS Rampage accidentally fired rounds into the city. No injuries or damage was reported.
Notable companies that have their headquarters in Gdynia:
An airport serving the city (Gdynia-Kosakowo Airport) is situated in the village of Kosakowo, just to the north of the city. The conurbation's main airport, Gdańsk Lech Wałęsa Airport, lies approximately 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) south-west of central Gdynia.
Gdynia is the Surprise's second Wildcard city in the Here And Now world edition of monopoly.
There are many popular professional sports teams in Gdynia and Tricity area. Amateur sports are played by thousands of Gdynia’s citizens, as well as in schools and universities.
Members of Parliament (Sejm) elected from Gdynia/Słupsk constituency
Members of Senat elected from Gdynia/Słupsk constituency
Gdynia is a relatively modern city, but the oldest building in Gdynia is nevertheless the 13th century St. Michael the Archangel's Church in Oksywie. There is also a 17th century neo-Gothic manor house located on Folwarczna Street in Orłowo. However, what attracts most tourists in Gdynia deals with its recent past. In the harbour, there are two anchored museum ships, the ORP Blyskawica destroyer and the Dar Pomorza Tall Ship frigate. Gdynia is famous for its numerous examples of early 20th century architecture, especially monumentalism and early functionalism, and modernism. Great example of modernism is PLO building situated at 10 lutego street. Recently reconstructed Świętojańska street and Kościuszko square are also worth a mention. The surrounding hills and the coastline attract many nature lovers. A leisure pier and a cliff-like coastline in Kępa Redłowska, as well as the surrounding Reservation Park, are also popular locations. A 1.5 kilometre long promenade leads from the marina in the city centre, to the beach in Redłowo. Most of Gdynia can be seen from Kamienna Góra (54 metres asl) or a newly built observation point near Chwaszczyno. You can also take a hydrofoil or ship trip to Gdańsk Westerplatte, Hel or just see the port.
There are also two remarkable observation towers, one at Góra Donas, the other at Kolibki. The third one, on the 38th floor of the Sea Towers building, will be probably opened to visitors in 2009. Gdynia is remarkable for this construction, since at 141 meters of height, it is the tallest residential building in Poland and the country's tallest skyscraper outside of Warsaw.
Gdynia is also the host of the Heineken Open'er Festival, one of the biggest contemporary music festivals in Poland. The festival welcomes many foreign hip-hop, rock and electronic music artists every year. The second most important summer event in Gdynia is Viva Beach Party, which is a large two-day techno party made on Gdynia's Public Beach, usually held in August. Gdynia also host some events for the annual Gdańsk Shakespeare Festival.
|2000||255,420||135.49 km² (after GUS - Central Statistical Office in Warsaw)|
Gdynia is twinned with:
Gdynia is a port city in northern Poland. Gdynia, together with nearby Gdańsk and Sopot are often referred as Tricity (pl: Trójmiasto). Gdynia was first mentioned in the 13th century as a fishing village. Its career began after World War I, when it became Poland´s main harbour and the biggest sea port at the Balitic Sea, which it still is.
From Gdansk by the route E75 just east along the coast.
Buses and trolleybus  are cheap and frequent. Locals are keen to help with directions but always ask several people and see if they agree.
Tickets for a bus:
Here's the key to understanding Gdynia bus and trolley-bus route numbers:
others, are normal routes with normal tickets.
Gdynia is a relatively modern city and one will not find many historical buildings. The oldest building in Gdynia is 13th century St. Michael Archangel's Church in Oksywie. There is also a 17th century neo-Gothic manor house located in the Folwarczna Street in Orłowo. However, what most tourists look for Gdynia deals with its recent past. In the harbour there are two museum ships anchored, the ORP 0Błyskawica destroyer and the Dar Pomorza Tall Ship frigate. Gdynia is also famous for its numerous examples of early 20th century architecture, especially monumentalism and early functionalism. Recently reconstructed Świętojańska street and Kościuszki square are also worth mentioning. The surrounding hills and the coastline attract many nature lovers. Leisure pier and cliff-like coastline in Kępa Redłowska as well as the surrounding Reservation Park are also popular. 1.5 kilometres long promenade leads from the marina in the city centre to the beach in Redłowo. Most of Gdynia can be seen from Kamienna Góra (54 metres asl) or a newly built observation point near Chwaszczyno. You can also take hydrofoil or ship trip to Gdańsk Westerplatte, Hel or just see port.
City of Gdynia is also the host of the Heineken Open'er Festival, one of the biggest contemporary music festivals in Europe. The festival gathers many foreign Hip hop music, Rock music and electronic music artists every year.
There's a huge market in town called "Hala Targowa".
Fresh and smoked fish available along the pier.
On the Hel Peninsula:
On the Vistuale Peninsula:
|This article is an outline and needs more content. It has a template, but there is not enough information present. Please plunge forward and help it grow!|
Gdynia is a city in northern Poland in Pomerania voivodship. It has about 252 000 inhabitants and 136 km².