|Native name: Jèrri|
Map of islands of Bailiwick of Jersey
|Area||116 km2 (45 sq mi)|
|Coastline||70 km (43 mi)|
|Highest point||Les Platons (143 m (470 ft))|
|Largest city||Saint Helier (pop. 28,310)|
|Population||90,800 (as of 2007)|
|Density||782.76 /km2 (2,027.3 /sq mi)|
|Ethnic groups||English and Norman-French descent. Portuguese and Polish minorities|
This article describes the geography of Jersey, an island territory in the English Channel. The island of Jersey has an area of 116 square kilometres, with 70 kilometres of coastline. Jersey claims a territorial sea of 3 nautical miles and an exclusive fishing zone of 12 nm.
Jersey is the largest and southernmost of the Channel Islands. It is located north of Brittany and west of the Cotentin Peninsula in Normandy. About 30% of the population of the island is concentrated in Saint Helier.
The climate in the island is temperate, with mild winters and cool summers. The terrain is generally low-lying on the south coast, with some rocky headlands, rising gradually to rugged cliffs along the north coast. On the west coast there are sand dunes. Small valleys run north to south across the island. Very large tidal variation exposes large expanses of sand and rock to the southeast at low tide.
The main natural resource on ths island is arable land. 66% of the island's land is used as such, and the remaining 34% is used for other purposes.
Current environmental issues for Jersey include waste disposal, air pollution and traffic.