The Full Wiki

More info on Golden Mile (Scarborough)

Golden Mile (Scarborough): Wikis

Advertisements

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

(Redirected to Golden Mile, Toronto article)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Golden Mile
—  Neighbourhood  —
The Golden Mile along Eglinton
The industrial areas of the Golden Mile
Coordinates: 43°43′32″N 79°17′50″W / 43.72556°N 79.29722°W / 43.72556; -79.29722
Country  Canada
Province  Ontario
City Toronto Toronto
Community Scarborough
Changed Municipality 1998 Toronto from Flag of Scarborough, Ontario.svg Scarborough
Government
 - MP Michelle Simson (Scarborough Southwest)
 - MPP Lorenzo Berardinetti (Scarborough Southwest)
 - Councillor Michael Thompson (Ward 37 Scarborough Centre)

The Golden Mile in the Scarborough district of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, is a stretch of Eglinton Avenue East that is the site of intensive industrial and commercial development. It was one of Canada's first model industrial parks. The Golden Mile runs along Eglinton from Victoria Park Avenue east to Birchmount Road.

The area was farmland prior to World War II. In 1941 General Engineering Company of Ontario (GECO) a massive munitions plant was constructed covering the area northwest of Eglinton and Warden. The facility was located in the area, which was then far from the city, to protect against accidental detonations. At its peak 5,300 people worked at the plant and 256,567,485 munitions were produced over the course of the war.[1] Following the war, the area was purchased from the federal government by the Township of Scarborough. The township built several municipal buildings along Eglinton and sold the rest to private industry to develop the area as "The Golden Mile", patterned after the Golden Mile in London, England. In the 1950s and 1960s, numerous factories producing mostly consumer goods operated along the Golden Mile.

Golden Mile Plaza was opened in 1958 by Queen Elizabeth II marking the further transformation of the area into a series of strip malls. The original strip mall on the north of Eglinton Avenue was anchored with a Famous Players movie theatre. This section of the strip was severely damaged by a fire in the 1980s, which hastened the beginning of the transformation of the area into one of Toronto's largest concentrations of power centres and big box stores.

Currently the Goldent Mile Plaza is struggling with both the downturn of the economy and the departure of many mainstay tenants. In 2009, Zellers, which represented a full half of the square footage of the plaza, left for a new stand alone location 2 km farther east. Earlier in 2008, Fabricland, which is a bottom-feeder tenant to most malls, also left for greener pastures.

Current Tenants of Golden Mile Plaza

  • Scotiabank
  • No Frills
  • Everything for a Dollar Store
  • Bulk Barn
  • Hip Hop Nails
  • Golden Mile Shoe Repair
  • Sama Home Furnishings
  • Epic Hair Salon
  • Joe's House Of Wood
  • King Dental Centre

List of Business on the Golden Mile

  • Willison Chrysler 1948-present (actually 1 km west of Victoria Park at 1743 Eglinton Ave East)
  • Bob Bannerman AMC dealer, became a Jeep dealer, then moved to Don Mills north of Eglinton
  • Golden Mile Chevrolet 1953-2007 - In 2008 Toyota Canada built a new dealership (Scarborough Toyota)
  • Frigidaire (GM) plant 1952-1968 - became Delco (GM) plant
  • Delco (GM) plant 1968-1974 became General Motors full size (G) van plant
  • General Motors Van Plant 1974-1993 - closed - now site of Eglinton Town Centre mall
  • Eglinton Town Centre - mall features Canadian Tire, Cineplex Odeon multi theatre
  • Alcan 1950s to 1990s - manufacturing plant now part of Eglinton Town Centre site
  • Eaton's 1960s to 1980s - later became Sears Outlet during the mid 1980s, 1997 rebuilt as Walmart and became a Lowe's in 2009
  • SKF - moved to north Scarborough, site now Visa processing centre
  • Thermos Canada - office moved downton (370 King Street West) old office torn down and site rebuilt for a new Zellers store in 2009
  • Warner-Lambert - merged with Pfizer and moved to Kirkland Quebec; office building now home to Aviva
  • Rona
  • Scarborough Toyota
  • Scarborough Nissan
  • Kingscross Hyundai
  • Eglinton Crossing
  • Eglinton Square Shopping Centre
  • Canadian General Electric - later Knob Hill Farms warehouse and later as Walmart store (2007)
  • Bell Canada - shared with Teleglobe Canada 1980s
  • FMC - closed Canadian office; office now a pharmaceutical warehouse
  • Ontario Ministry of Corrections East Detention Centre
  • Scarborough Municipal Offices - demolished
  • Ontario Provincial Courts
  • Donway Ford
  • Mandarin Buffet
  • Fabricland
  • Kelsey's
  • Golden Mile Motors
  • Scarborough Mitsubishi
  • VW Canada (1944 Eglinton) - now HSBC

References

Coordinates: 43°43′34″N 79°17′17″W / 43.726°N 79.288°W / 43.726; -79.288

Advertisements

Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message