From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Harlem Irving Plaza (commonly referred to as
"The HIP") is an enclosed mall located in Norridge,
Illinois, a suburb of Chicago. The mall
features over 100 stores and a food court; anchor stores include Carson Pirie
Scott, Kohl's, a new Best Buy, and Target.
It is one of the oldest shopping malls in the Chicago area.
Built on the site of a former livestock farm, Harlem Irving
Plaza opened in 1956 as a 337,000-square-foot
(31,300 m2) strip mall featuring approximately 45
Original anchor stores included Kroger, Walgreens, Wieboldt's, W.T. Grant, and Woolworth. The plaza became a member of the
International Council of Shopping Centers a year after opening.
Between 1975 and 1979, the former strip mall was enclosed, and a
parking garage was added.
Also in 1979, Madigan's was added to the roster of department
stores. MainStreet, a short-lived
subsidiary of Federated
Department Stores opened at the mall in 1987, just as
Wieboldt's closed. In
1988, Kohl's acquired and
converted all of the stores in the MainStreet chain; Carson Pirie
Scott opened in the former Wieboldt's the same year. A food court was added in
and Best Buy opened in the
former Madigan's. Best Buy re-located to the mall's parking lot in
its original location was replaced with a second parking garage.
The mall underwent a thorough renovation in 2004, gaining a
175,000-square-foot (16,300 m2) Target in
August of that year.
In honor of the mall's 50th anniversary in 2006, Harlem Irving
Plaza hosted a meet and greet with three of the original Mouseketeers.