The Full Wiki

Illyrian Provinces: Wikis

Advertisements
  
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Provinces illyriennes
Ilirske pokrajine

Illyrian Provinces
Autonomous province of the French Empire

 

 

1809–1816
 

 

 

Flag

The provinces of the French Empire in Illyria and Italy (1810)
Capital Ljubljana
Political structure Monarchy
History
 - Treaty of Schönbrunn 1809
 - Disestablished 1816

The Illyrian Provinces (French: Provinces illyriennes, Croatian: Ilirske pokrajine, Slovene: Ilirske province, Italian: Province Illiriche) was an autonomous province of the Napoleonic French Empire on the north and east coasts of the Adriatic Sea between 1809 and 1816. The name "Illyrian" was used to refer to South Slavs within the Napoleonic Empire and is a relabeling of the region which was formerly Illyria in antiquity.

Contents

History

The Illyrian Provinces were created by the Treaty of Schönbrunn in 1809 when the Austrian Empire ceded the territories of western or Upper Carinthia with Lienz in the East Tyrol, Carniola, southwest of the river Sava, Gorizia and Gradisca, and Trieste to the French Empire after the Austrian defeat at the Battle of Wagram. These territories lying north and east of the Adriatic Sea were amalgamated with Dalmatia into the Illyrian Provinces, technically part of France, the capital of which was established at "Laybach", i.e.Ljubljana in modern Slovenia. The territory of the Republic of Ragusa, which was annexed to France in 1808, was also integrated into the Illyrian Provinces.

The French administration, headed by a Governor-General, introduced civil law (Code civil) across the provinces. This was a major change to some Croatian territories, which hitherto had been under Austrian Military Administration. August de Marmont was the first to be appointed as the Governor-General of the provinces on 8 October 1809, and held his post until January 1811. On 9 April the same year, Henri-Gratien Bertrand was appointed, who held this post until February 1812, when, on 21 February, he was succeeded by Jean-Andoche Junot. The last Governor-General was Joseph Fouché, who was appointed in July 1813 and held his post for only one month.

The British Navy imposed a blockade of the Adriatic Sea, effective since the Treaty of Tilsit (July 1807), which brought merchant shipping to a standstill, a measure most seriously affecting the economy of the Dalmatian port cities. An attempt by joint French and Italian forces to seize the British-held Dalmatian island of Vis failed on 22 October 1810.

In August 1813, Austria declared war on France. Austrian troops led by General Franz Tomassich invaded the Illyrian Provinces. Croat troops enrolled in the French army switched sides. Zadar surrendered to Austrian forces after a 34-day siege on 6 December 1813. At Dubrovnik an insurrection expelled the French and a provisional Ragusan administration was established, hoping for the restoration of the Republic. It was occupied by Austrian troops on 20 September 1813. The Gulf of Kotor and its environs were occupied in 1813 by Montenegrin forces, which held it until 1814, when the appearance of an Austrian force caused the Prince of Montenegro to turn over the territory to Austrian administration on 11 June. The British withdrew from the occupied Dalmatian islands in July 1815, following the Battle of Waterloo.

Administrative divisions

French Empire with the Illyrian Provinces in 1811

The provinces initially consisted of seven provinces: Upper Carinthia (capital Lienz), Istria (Trieste), Carniola (Ljubljana), Civil Croatia (Karlovac), Military Croatia (Senj), Dalmatia (Zadar), and the Ragusa and Kotor province (Dubrovnik). In 1811 the Illyrian provinces saw an administrative reorganization. The seat of the Governor General was Ljubljana; the country was initially divided in 4 intendancies (Ljubljana, Karlovac, Trieste, Zadar) and 10 sub-intendancies. Later that year, the number of intendancies was extended to eight, with Villach, Gorizia, Rijeka and Dubrovnik being elevated to intendancy rank. Two Chambers of Commerce were established, at Trieste and at Dubrovnik. The ecclesiastical administration was reorganized in accordance with the new political borders; two archdioceses were established with seats at Ljubljana and Zadar, with suffragan dioceses at Gorizia, Koper, Šibenik, Split and Dubrovnik (1811).

Population

The population (1811) was given at 460,116 for the intendancy of Ljubljana, 381,000 for the intendancy of Karlovac, 357,857 for the intendancy of Trieste and 305,285 for the intendancy of Zadar, in total 1,504,258 for all of Illyria. A French decree emancipated the Jews; in effect the decree abolished a Habsburg regulation which had forbidden Jews to settle within Carniola.

History of Croatia
Coat of arms of the Kingdom of Croatia-Slavonia
This article is part of a series
Early history
Prehistoric Croatia
Origins of the Croats
White Croatia
Medieval history
Littoral Croatia
Kingdom of Croatia
Republic of Poljica
Republic of Dubrovnik
Habsburg Empire
Kingdom of Croatia
Kingdom of Slavonia
Illyrian Provinces
Kingdom of Dalmatia
Kingdom of Croatia-Slavonia
State of Slovenes, Croats, and Serbs
Yugoslavia
Kingdom of Yugoslavia

(Banovina of Croatia)


World War II

(Federal State of Croatia,
Independent State of Croatia)


Socialist Republic of Croatia
Contemporary Croatia
War of independence
Republic of Croatia

Croatia Portal
 v • d •  e 

Culture and education

At Karlovac, the headquarters of the Croatian military, a special French-language military school was established in 1811. There were 25 gymnasia in the Illyrian provinces. Proclamations were published in the provinces' official journal, Télégraphe officiel, simultaneously in French, Italian, German and "Slavonian"; this elevation of a Slavic language to an official language had a great impact on the development of the modern Slovene language. Between 1811 and 1813, the French author Charles Nodier worked in Ljubljana as the editor of the journal.

Legacy

The Congress of Vienna confirmed Austria in the possession of the former Illyrian Provinces. In 1816 they were reconstituted without Dalmatia, yet now with all of Carinthia, as a Kingdom of Illyria, which was formally abolished only in 1849, even though the civil administration of the Croatian districts had already been placed under Hungarian administration in 1822.

See also

Literature

  • Bundy, Frank J. (1988). The Administration of the Illyrian Provinces of the French Empire, 1809-1813. Taylor & Francis. ISBN 0-8240-8032-7.  

External links

History of Slovenia
Coat of arms of Slovenia
This article is part of a series
Noricum/Pannonia
Slavic settlement of the Eastern Alps
Samo's Realm
Carantania
Carniola
Holy Roman Empire
March of Carniola
Windic March
Illyrian Provinces
Kingdom of Illyria
Duchy of Carniola
Drava Banovina
Province of Ljubljana
Socialist Republic of Slovenia
Republic of Slovenia

Slovenia Portal
 v • d •  e 
Advertisements

Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message