|Indiana University–Purdue University Indianapolis
|Motto||Where impact is made|
|Established||1969, as a partnership by and between Indiana and Purdue Universities, with IU as the managing partner.|
|Chancellor||Charles R. Bantz|
|Faculty||2,152 full time, 927 part time.|
|Location||Indianapolis, IN, USA|
|Campus||urban: 512 acres (2.07 km²)|
|Athletics||14 Division I NCAA teams|
|Colors||Crimson and Old Gold|
|Mascot||Jinx and Jawz|
|Affiliations||Indiana University System
Purdue University System
Indiana University–Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) is an urban shared campus of Indiana University and Purdue University in Indianapolis, Indiana. Indiana University is the managing partner. IUPUI offers undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees from both universities.
IUPUI offers more than 180 undergraduate majors and ranks among the top fifteen in the country in the number of first professional degrees it confers and among the top seven in the number of health-related degrees. It is the home campus to 70 graduate and professional degrees, including the Indiana University School of Medicine, the Indiana University School of Law Indianapolis, Indiana University School of Liberal Arts at IUPUI,and the Indiana University School of Dentistry. The school also boasts the Indiana University School of Nursing, the Indiana University School of Social Work, the Indiana University School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, the Indiana University School of Informatics, the Center on Philanthropy, the Purdue School of Science and the Purdue School of Engineering and Technology.
Created in 2005, the IU School of Informatics is the nation's first such school. IUPUI, along with IUB, hosts the first Ph.D. program in Informatics in the United States. The program offers tracks in bioinformatics, health informatics, and human-computer interaction.
IUPUI has more students from Indiana than any other campus in the state. It also has the largest population of graduate and professional students of any university campus in Indiana. Almost 75 percent of IUPUI classes have 25 or fewer students. In addition to its attendance policy, IUPUI also has the most ethnically diverse student body in the Indiana University system.
Because of the school of medicine and other graduate schools, IUPUI hosts research on infectious disease, cancer and degenerative disorders.
IUPUI houses three major editorial and research projects in the history of American ideas:
The IUPUI University Library is a leader in the application of technology to library services. IUPUI is participating in Internet 2 development. The project is housed in the Informatics, Communication & Information Technology Building (ICTC).
IUPUI as a whole has been accredited by The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools continuously since 1970. ABET has continuously accredited IUPUI's following bachelors degrees since the date listed: Computer Engineering 2003, Computer Integrated Manufacturing Technology 1995, Construction Technology 1995, Electrical Engineering 1978, Electrical Engineering Technology 1971, Mechanical Engineering 1978, and Mechanical Engineering Technology 1970. ABET has continuously accredited IUPUI's following associates degrees since the date listed: Architectural Technology 1995, Civil Engineering Technology 1977, Computer Integrated Manufacturing Technology 1995, Electrical Engineering Technology 1971, and Mechanical Engineering Technology 1970.
|IUPUI was established via the 1969 merger of:|
|•||Indiana University School of Medicine||Established||1911|
|•||Indiana University School of Law Indianapolis||Acquired||1944||from||Indiana Law School||Established||1894|
|and||Benjamin Harrison Law School||Established||1893|
|•||Indiana University School of Dentistry||Acquired||1925||from||Indiana Dental College||Established||1875|
|•||Indiana University Herron School of Art||Acquired||1967||from||Indiana School of Art||Established||1877|
|Art Association of Indianapolis||Renamed||1883|
|Herron School of Art||Renamed||1902|
|•||Indiana University Indianapolis Extension||Established||1916|
|•||Purdue University Indianapolis Extension||Established||1946|
In many respects IUPUI was established long before its 1969 merger. The historically most prestigious portions of IUPUI are the professional graduate schools and the art school: Indiana University School of Medicine, Indiana University School of Law Indianapolis, Indiana University School of Liberal Arts, the Indiana University School of Dentistry, and the Indiana University Herron School of Art, all of which were established decades prior to the 1969 merger into one institution. In particular, the Indiana University School of Medicine and the Indiana University School of Dentistry in Indianapolis are not merely regional branches of programs at some main campus in the Indiana University System or the Purdue University System. The School of Medicine and School of Dentistry are the only degree-granting public university programs of medicine and dentistry in Indiana and have been since become part of Indiana University.
The vision for an IUPUI first was inspired by the formation of the Indiana Purdue Foundation in Fort Wayne in 1958 for the creation of what has become IPFW. Fort Wayne's Indiana Purdue Foundation is unrelated to IUPUI, but the formation of such a joint venture between Indiana's two largest university systems inspired metropolitan and state government leaders in Indianapolis to consider the same type of merger for their disparate Indiana University professional graduate schools, Indiana University undergraduate extension center, and Purdue University undergraduate extension center.
The School of Medicine's large campus west of downtown Indianapolis was chosen to be the site of what was to become IUPUI. Prior to forming IUPUI, other Indiana University and Purdue University schools were located at various locations within and near downtown Indianapolis. With the formation of IUPUI and the relocation of those academic units to the IUPUI campus adjoining the School of Medicine's Medical Center, some of those academic units for the first time were housed in buildings designed at time of construction for academic use, instead of business-office buildings as had been the case previously for the undergraduate extension centers.
IUPUI's teams—the IUPUI Jaguars—compete at the Division I level in The Summit League. The Jaguars have earned NCAA Tournament bids in Men's Soccer, Men's Golf, Men's Basketball and Women's Tennis, as well as a Mid-Continent Conference (now The Summit League) championship in Volleyball and Men's Tennis. Nine athletes have been recognized as Mid-Con Athletes of the Year, with seven coaches earning Coach of the Year honors. Prior to 1995, the teams were known as the Metros and were Division II.
IUPUI's athletic teams have also excelled in the classroom. The women's tennis team has been chosen as an All-Academic Team by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association for three consecutive years; collectively, they have maintained an almost C-average for those three years. The men's cross country team has been recognized by the United State Cross Country Coaches Association as Academic All-American the past two seasons, while the women’s team earned the same honor from the Women's Intercollegiate Cross Country Coaches Association twice. In 2001-02, the women's basketball team was selected by the Women's Basketball Coaches Association to its Top 25 Honor Roll. In the fall of 2002, the athletic department as a whole was honored by USA Today and the NCAA for having the highest improvement in graduation rate in the country for its category. In 2003, the athletic department as a whole was honored by USA Today once again for having the largest discrepancy in graduation rates from the athletics department and general student population.
The campus is the home of the Indiana University Natatorium, one of the fastest swimming pools in the world and `Michael A. Carroll Stadium, home of the 2006 & 2007 USA Track & Field Championships. Additionally, the 1987 Pan-American Games were hosted on the IUPUI campus, while IUPUI also served as the annual site for the Nike All-America Basketball Camp until 2007. The Indianapolis Tennis Center is also on the IUPUI campus and has served, since 1979, as the home of the Indianapolis Tennis Championships (formerly the RCA Championships).
The IUPUI campus covers 510 acres (2.1 km2) and is located just west of downtown near the Indianapolis Zoo, Downtown Canal Walk, and White River State Park. It is adjacent to the Indiana Avenue cultural district. In 2004 & 2005, new residence halls, the Informatics, Communication & Information Technology Building (ICTC), and Eskenazi Hall, the new home of the Herron School of Art & Design were completed on campus. The zip code for the entire campus is 46202.
A new Campus Center was opened in Spring 2008. The Campus Center Boasts a 179-foot (55 m) bell tower made of limestone and glass. The Campus Center houses Enrollment Services, the IUPUI bookstore, Financial Aid, Scholarships, campus dining, game rooms, a theatre, and more.
The IUPUI Public Art Collection consists of 30 works of sculpture located outdoors on the campus. Additional sculptures are located on private property adjacent to IUPUI, including the Indiana Avenue cultural district, Riley Hospital and the J. F. Miller Foundation.
A new 254,000-square-foot (23,600 m2) research building, Research III, is also under construction. Its completion in 2008 will create a 500,000-square-foot (46,000 m2) research complex with direct connections to Research II and the IU Cancer Research Institute, as well as a skyway connection to the Clarian Health People Mover.
Campus housing has the capacity for 1,060 students in a traditional residence hall (Ball Residence) and the Campus Apartments on the River Walk, which opened in 2004. Another residence hall is going to be built in order to accommodate 1,000 more students.
A large collection of archival photographs of the campus can be found in the IUPUI Image Collection. Ralph D. Gray's book IUPUI--the Making of an Urban University (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2003) is a comprehensive published account of the history of the campus.
The IUPUI University Library has developed comprehensive programs in the areas of Information Literacy and Digital Libraries. It is also home to the Ruth Lilly Special Collections and Archives and the leading collection for the study of Philanthropy in the world, the Joseph and Matthew Payton Philanthropic Studies Library. The Herron Art Library at the Herron School of Art and Design at IUPUI is a full-service branch of the University Library.
The university offers $50,000 each year to students, faculty, and staff to fund green initiatives. The new campus center has many "green" features , and the school's Renewable Energy Center was named for Senator Richard G. Lugar in 2007. The college received a C- on the 2010 College Sustainability Report Card, a publication of the Sustainable Endowments Institute.