The Full Wiki

More info on Isola del Giglio

Isola del Giglio: Wikis

Advertisements

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

(Redirected to Giglio Island article)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Isola del Giglio
—  Comune  —
Comune di Isola del Giglio
Giglio Harbour

Coat of arms
Isola del Giglio is located in Italy
Isola del Giglio
Location of Isola del Giglio in Italy
Coordinates: 42°21′N 10°54′E / 42.35°N 10.9°E / 42.35; 10.9Coordinates: 42°21′N 10°54′E / 42.35°N 10.9°E / 42.35; 10.9
Country Italy
Region Toscana
Province Grosseto (GR)
Frazioni Isola di Giannutri, Giglio Castello, Giglio Porto, Giglio Campese
Government
 - Mayor Attilio Brothel (since June 2004)
Area
 - Total 23.80 km2 (9.2 sq mi)
Elevation 405 m (1,329 ft)
Population (30 April 2009)
 - Total 1,458
 - Density 61.3/km2 (158.7/sq mi)
 - Demonym Gigliesi
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 - Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 58010, 58012, 58013
Dialing code 0564
Patron saint San Mamiliano
Saint day September 15

Giglio Island (Italian: Isola del Giglio) is an island and Italian comune situated in the Tyrrhenian Sea, off the coast of Tuscany, part of the Province of Grosseto.

Contents

Geography

The island is separated by a 16 km stretch of sea from the Argentario promontory: mainly mountainous, it is almost wholly constituted of granites culminating in the Poggio della Pagana (496 m). 90% of its surface is covered by Mediterranean vegetation alternating with large pine forests and numerous vineyards which enable the production of the famous "Ansonaco" wine. The coast is 27 km long, made up of rocks, of smooth cliffs and several suggestive bays: Arenella, Cannelle, Caldane and Campese, the biggest one with its little homonymous village.

A beach on Giglio Island, with a view of Mount Argentario on the [Tuscanian coast].

History

The modern island was probably born 4.5 - 5 millions years ago, and has been inhabited since the Iron Age. Later it was probably an Etruscan military stronghold. Under the Roman domination it was an important base in the Tyrrhenian Sea, cited, for example, by Julius Caesar in his De Bello Gallico and by the poet Rutilius Claudius Namatianus.

In 805 it was donated by Charlemagne to the abbey of the Tre Fontane in Rome, and was later a possession of Aldobrandeschi, Pannocchieschi, Caetani, Orsini families and the commune of Perugia. In 1241 the Sicilian fleet of Emperor Frederick II destroyed a Genoese fleet. From 1264 Giglio was a Pisane dominion, from which it passed to the Medici. It suffered several Saracen attacks, which ended only in 1799.

Alongside its history the island was always renowned for its minerary resources: many columns and edifices in Rome were built with the Gigliese granite.

Main sights

The island houses the remains of a Roman villa of Domitius Ahenobarbus (1st-2nd centuries), in the area of Giglio Porto. No traces of the Temple of Diana once existing now can be seen. The church of San Pietro Apostolo in Giglio Castello has an ivory crucifix attributed to Giambologna

It is also site of an Etruscan shipwreck, dating to the early Iron age, c. 600 BC. The cargo of the ship included copper and lead ingots, iron spits, amphorae and a Corinthian helmet. Even a wooden writing tablet with stylus was preserved. The finds are almost completely lost now.

Transportation

Isola del Giglio is connected to Tuscany by ferries starting from Porto Santo Stefano.

External links

Advertisements

Isola del Giglio
—  Comune  —
Comune di Isola del Giglio
Giglio Harbour

Isola del Giglio
Location of Isola del Giglio in Italy
Coordinates: 42°21′N 10°54′E / 42.35°N 10.9°E / 42.35; 10.9Coordinates: 42°21′N 10°54′E / 42.35°N 10.9°E / 42.35; 10.9
Country Italy
Region Toscana
Province Grosseto (GR)
Frazioni Isola di Giannutri, Giglio Castello, Giglio Porto, Giglio Campese
Government
 - Mayor Attilio Brothel (since June 2004)
Area
 - Total 23.80 km2 (9.2 sq mi)
Elevation 405 m (1,329 ft)
Population (30 April 2009)
 - Total 1,458
 Density 61.3/km2 (158.7/sq mi)
Demonym Gigliesi
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 - Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 58010, 58012, 58013
Dialing code 0564
Patron saint San Mamiliano
Saint day September 15

Isola del Giglio is an island and Italian comune situated in the Tyrrhenian Sea, off the coast of Tuscany, part of the Province of Grosseto.

Contents

Geography

The island is separated by a 16-km stretch of sea from the Argentario promontory: mainly mountainous, it consists almost entirely of granites culminating in the Poggio della Pagana (496 m). 90% of its surface is covered by Mediterranean vegetation alternated with large pine forests and numerous vineyards which allow the production of the famous "Ansonaco" wine. The coast is 27 km long, made up of rocks, smooth cliffs and several picturesque bays: Arenella, Cannelle, Caldane and Campese, the biggest one with its small, same-named village.

History

The modern island was probably formed 4,5-5 million years ago, and has been inhabited since the Iron Age. Later it was probably an Etruscan military stronghold. Under the Roman domination it was an important base in the Tyrrhenian Sea, cited, for example, by Julius Caesar in his De Bello Gallico and by the poet Rutilius Claudius Namatianus.

In 805 it was donated by Charlemagne to the abbey of the Tre Fontane in Rome, and was later a possession of the Aldobrandeschi, Pannocchieschi, Caetani, and Orsini families, and of the municipality of Perugia. In 1241 the Sicilian fleet of Emperor Frederick II destroyed a Genoese fleet. From 1264 Isola del Giglio was a Pisane dominion, from which it passed to the Medici family. It suffered several Saracen attacks, which ended only in 1799.

Alongside its history the island was always renowned for its mineral ore: many columns and buildings in Rome were built with the Gigliese granite.

Main sights

The island houses the remains of a Roman villa of Domitius Ahenobarbus (1st-2nd century), in the area of Giglio Porto (Giglio port). No traces of the once existing Diana Temple can be seen now. The church of San Pietro Apostolo in Giglio Castello (Giglio castle) has an ivory crucifix attributed to the sculptor Giambologna.

The island is also the site of an Etruscan shipwreck dating back to the early Iron age, c. 600 BC. The cargo of the ship included copper and lead ingots, iron spits, amphorae and a Corinthian helmet. Even a wooden writing tablet with stylus was preserved. The finds are almost completely lost now.

Transportation

Isola del Giglio is connected to Tuscany by ferries departing from Porto Santo Stefano.

External links


Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message