Jacksonville College: Wikis

Advertisements
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jacksonville College is a junior college in Jacksonville, Texas, United States and belongs to the Baptist Missionary Association of America. In addition, the Southern Baptists of Texas, the conservative state convention affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention, also provides financial support to the school.

The college is known for its singing groups, a main choir, a smaller group called The Singers, a Women's Trio and a Men's Quartet.

Contents

The School's Alma Mater

Our Alma Mater so proudly stands

Proclaiming truth to every land,

Exalting Christ our aim shall be

As we march on to victory.

As we go forth from thy dear walls

To answer duty’s urgent calls,

Thy memories ever dear shall be

We hail thee ever, our J.B.C.

Historical Background

Moved by the need for a college in East Texas, a group of earnest Baptists met in Palestine, Texas, March, 1899. They formed a permanent organization known as, “The East Texas Educational Society.” The following officers were elected: A. W. Ewing, president; D. L. Scarborough and R. B. Longmire, vice presidents; C. A. Lawler, secretary; and W. J. Foscue, treasurer. They realized East Texas must educate its youth if it rose to the heights of its possibilities. With this in mind they proceeded in their plans to establish an institution which would provide academic and cultural training under religious influence. Jacksonville became their choice for the location of the college. The East Texas Educational Society applied for a charter for Jacksonville College on June 10, 1899. The procedure was executed by A.P. Schofield, W. J. Foscue, R.B. Longmire and J. M. Newburn, then acting in the capacity of a corporation. The charter was approved and signed by the Secretary of State of Texas, July 26, 1899, and was renewed in 1957. On July 20, 1899, a building site consisting of 18 acres was bought for Jacksonville College. The trustees gave a contract for a three-story brick building in May, 1899. This building was not completed for the opening session of 1899-1900. The upper story of the Templeton building on South Bolton Street was rented and school opened in September with an enrollment of 34 students and before the end of the opening session, the enrollment increased to 85 students. Before the Christmas holidays the three-story brick building was completed and classes were moved to that location. Since that date all activities of the college have been at the present site. In the original organization the college was organized on the senior college level, awarding the Bachelor of Arts Degree to its graduates. The college functioned as a senior college until 1918, when it was reorganized on the junior college level. The college has continued to function on the junior college level since 1918, awarding its graduates the Associate in Arts degree and the Associate in Science degree. The Jacksonville College Academy was organized in 1918-1919. Its purpose was to offer a four-year course measuring up to the standards of high school work. The academy became affiliated with the State Department of Education in 1919. It maintained affiliation with the State Department until discontinued in 1958. The Junior College course of study was organized in 1918-1919. It conformed to that offered by standard colleges and universities in their first and second year requirements. In 1923 affiliation was established with the State Department of Education. In 1974, Jacksonville College achieved accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. In 1923 the original charter was amended to provide that Articles 7, 8, and 9 be changed to allow the Baptist Missionary Association of Texas to become the owner of Jacksonville College. Since that date the Baptist Missionary Association of Texas has owned and operated the college. In July 2002 the college also became affiliated with the Southern Baptists of Texas Convention. The college is located in a city of some 14,000 inhabitants, nestled in the beautiful, rolling hills of East Texas. The city boasts several industries, a prosperous 5 farming region, friendly people, a fine system of public schools, another junior college, a national seminary and many fine churches. The student body, the strong faculty, the campus spirit, and the location all combine to make Jacksonville College an ideal place for any student who seeks a sound education which keeps Christ preeminent. Jacksonville College has been served by several great men of God who were faithful to the cause of Christian Education. Listed below are the names of the presidents and their terms of office. The college has ample reason to be intensely proud of her leadership through these many years.

List of Presidents of the College

J. V. Vermillion 1899-1903

B. J. Albritton 1903-1905

J. M. Newburn 1905-1906

B. J. Albritton 1906-1908

J. V. Vermillion 1908-1911

F. D. Graves 1911-1912

H. R. Chapman 1912-1913

J. W. Hoppe 1913-1914

D. C. Dove 1914-1915

J. V. Vermillion 1915-1918

B. J. Albritton 1918-1937

J. W. Overall 1937-1941

C. R. Meadows 1941-1944

Gerald D. Kellar 1944-1956

Douglas L. Laird 1956-1961

Curtis M. Carroll 1961-1986

F. Donald Collins 1986-1988

H. Edwin Crank 1988- ongoing

Accredidation

Jacksonville College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097: Telephone number 404-679-4501) to award the Associate Degree and the Junior College Diploma.

College Government

The Jacksonville College Board of Trustees is the ultimate source of authority in all affairs of the college. The Board consists of sixteen voting members. The officers of the Board of Trustees are the chairman and the secretary. The trustees are appointed by the Baptist Missionary Association of Texas during its annual meeting in November. The Board of Trustees meets three times annually: September, February and May. They act collectively, through committees, and also through the President and the Academic Dean. The President is the chief executive of the college and is responsible to the Board of Trustees. The Academic Dean-Registrar is in charge of all academic affairs and is responsible to the President of the college. The President and the Academic Dean are exofficio members of all committees. The faculty carry out the details of instruction, and, collectively and through committees, assist in the supervision of student activities. The Dean of Students reports to the President and is responsible for student development services. The Business Officer reports to the President and is responsible for financial operations.

Facilities

Jacksonville College is located in the northwest section of the City of Jacksonville, Texas. The campus has been occupied continuously since 1899. Native oak, pine, and paper-shell pecan trees add beauty and a restful atmosphere to the campus. Appropriate areas are provided for easy parking and for outdoor sports and activities, including tennis. The C. R. Meadows Administration and Classroom Building (1962) contains offices of the administration and faculty offices. It is also the main classroom building, containing several classrooms and the biology, chemistry and computer science laboratories. The Mary Nell and Summers A. Norman Library (2002) is located on the corner of Travis Street and Kickapoo Street. The seating area has a capacity of sixty. There are up-to-date computers provided for the patrons with modern software, tutorials, and Internet access. The library is open sixty-four hours per week with a qualified 12 staff to give assistance to patrons. The library houses approximately 4,000 reference volumes and 19,000 circulating volumes along with approximately 63 current magazine subscriptions, four newspaper subscriptions and additional bound journal volumes. Some of these publications have been issued by national, state and local associations affiliated with the Baptist Missionary Association of America. Additionally, the library subscribes to three databases: Tex-Share, The World & I and SIRS. These online sources give access to hundreds of additional periodicals and books.

The Weatherby Memorial Building (1952) is the former library. Since 2002, it has undergone significant renovation and now houses the Conference/Distance Learning Room, Community Computer Lab for both student and community use, the Financial Aid Office, the Office of Information Technology, and the Jaguar Collegiate Bookstore. The Buckner Chapel and Gerald Orr Music Annex (1975) contains an auditorium with a seating capacity of 500, classrooms, practice rooms and music faculty offices. The Little Cafeteria and Student Center (1968) serves several purposes. The student center provides space for studying, watching television, and playing various types of games, including pool, ping-pong, and electronic games. Also in this area are the office of the Dean of Students, student mailboxes, and a snack bar. The cafeteria provides complete meals for students and college personnel at nominal cost. The Curtis Carroll Field House/Gymnasium (1979) has floor space for a regulation-size basketball court, two practice courts, weight room, exercise and therapy rooms, and a large classroom. Collins Hall, the women’s residence hall (1965), will house fifty-two students. Memorial Hall, the men’s residence hall (1966), is designed to accommodate fifty-one students. The Pine Street Residence Hall consists of five apartments normally used for additional men’s residence.

External links

Advertisements

Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message