|Saint Joaquina Vedruna de Mas|
|Born||April 16, 1783, Barcelona, Spain|
|Died||August 28, 1854 (71 years), Vic, Spain|
|Venerated in||Roman Catholic Church|
|Beatified||May 19, 1940|
|Canonized||April 12, 1959 by Pope John XXIII|
death of children
Saint Joaquina Vedruna de Mas (or Joaquima, in Catalan) (Barcelona, Spain, April 16, 1783 – August 28, 1854) was a Spanish nun, founder of the Carmelite Sisters of the Charity. She was born from a noble family. In 1799, she married the lawyer and Vic's landowner Teodoro de Mas, with whom she had nine children. Her husband died in 1816 and she moved with her children to their estate in Vic. Here, she began her charitable activities with the sick and young women. Her spiritual director, the Capuchin Esteban de Olot, suggested she establish an apostolic congregation devoted to education and charity. The bishop of Vic, Pablo Jesús Corcuera, told her that the institute should be of Carmelite inspiration. The same bishop wrote the rule on February 6, 1826, and on February 26 she and other eight women professed their vows. Within the next few years, the Vedruna's Carmelites founded several houses in Catalonia. During the First Carlist War, she had to flee from Spain because she had founded a hospital in the Carlist town Berga, that was further occupied by the Liberals. She went to Rousillon, France, where she stayed from 1836 to 1842. The congregation was definitively approved in 1850. In spite of serious challenges posed by civil war and secular opposition, the institute she founded soon spread into Catalonia. Thereafter communities were established throughout Spain and Hispanic America. Eventually, she was forced to resign as superior of her order due to sickness; although she died during a cholera epidemic in Barcelona, she slowly succumbed to paralysis over the final four years of her life. By the time of her death in 1854 at the age of 71, Joaquina was known and admired for her high degree of prayer, deep trust in God and selfless charity. She was beatified by the Roman Catholic Church in 1940 and was canonized in 1959. She is buried in the Carmelites of the Charity's mother-house in Vic.