The Full Wiki

More info on John A. Gupton College

John A. Gupton College: Wikis

Advertisements
  

Note: Many of our articles have direct quotes from sources you can cite, within the Wikipedia article! This article doesn't yet, but we're working on it! See more info or our list of citable articles.

Encyclopedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John A. Gupton College, founded in 1946, is a private professional school of mortuary science located in Nashville, Tennessee. It awards the Associate of Arts degree in Funeral Service. Gupton College is accredited by both the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the American Board of Funeral Service Education.

Most of Gupton's students attend in order to prepare for careers as funeral directors. All students follow the same curriculum.

Gupton is located just west of downtown Nashville, in the same building as the Tennessee Funeral Directors Associational Office.

History :

In March 1946, John Jr. and his wife Bernadean purchased the former Gov. Hill McAlister Mansion located at 2507 West End Avenue, in Nashville, TN. They founded and opened the John A. Gupton College of Mortuary Science on September 25, 1946. John was President and Bernadean was Educational Director. The college was located in the McAlister Mansion.

Renovation of the mansion for the college consisted of: 1st floor offices and a preparation room; 2nd floor laboratories, a casket display room, library and student lounge; 3rd floor lecture hall, lockers and private living quarters. Dormitories were also available to students on a first come basis.

The first class began on September 27, 1946, with an enrollment of twenty-six students. The course work was nine months in length with matriculation held in March and September.

In 1952 additions were needed. A large two-story classroom building, Paul L. Williams Hall (In honor of the college's 1st Law instructor), was erected. The new building was 3,700 square feet with the floor plan as follows: the 1st floor included two offices, storage rooms, utility rooms, lockers, lecture room and preparation rooms; the 2nd floor included a large lecture room and a new installed modern well-equipped science laboratory.

The growth of the college began to increase after 1954, with Gupton-Jones merging with the Dallas Institute of Mortuary Science. John A. Gupton College became the only mortuary college in the southeast. In the next few years more additions were made. Alumni Hall was erected adjacent to Williams Hall and housed the administrative offices and a large conference room. Kensington Place Hall, a large two story building, was erected behind Williams Hall and housed Memorial Library, faculty offices and two lecture rooms. Puryear Mims Hall was located two blocks from the main campus at 2810 Vanderbilt Place and was used for Fine Arts instruction.

In addition, the college maintained affiliations with five area hospitals, including Vanderbilt University Hospital, St. Thomas Hospital, Baptist Hospital, Metropolitan Nashville General Hospital, and the Miller Hospital. Through this affiliation the students had the opportunity to practice the principles and theory of embalming. Embalming was performed at the hospital or the college preparation room, which was supervised by Mr. Gupton.

In October 1964, the college was incorporated under the laws of the State of Tennessee as a school of mortuary science. The school was incorporated as a non-profit educational institution in 1965, and has since been known as John A. Gupton College.

In keeping with standards set by the American Board of Funeral Service Education in the fall of 1966, a program of study leading to an Associate Degree in Mortuary Science was offered. The college received correspondence from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools on January 14, 1970 and official accreditation at the Association’s annual meeting in December 1971. This accreditation made John A. Gupton College the 1st college accredited by both the American Board of Funeral Service Education and a regional accrediting agency with scholastic transferability, pioneering efforts of better educational standards.

In 1988, Mr. Gupton’s health diminished. He died on December 15, 1988. John A. Gupton, III assumed the position of president of the college. Mrs. Gupton remained on the faculty for several years until her death on August 15, 1994. They both are interred at Calvary Cemetery in Nashville, TN.

The board of directors and the Gupton heirs decided to sell the campus to Vanderbilt University in the fall of 1991. The college relocated to a new, modern, fully-equipped 20,000 sq. ft. facility in mid-town Nashville at 1616 Church Street in the fall of 1992.

The school purchased a fourteen unit apartment building adjacent to the new campus in April 1998. The new addition gave students an opportunity to be housed on campus. In July 2006, the college purchased an adjacent one-half acre lot for additional parking space. The college now comprises one and a half acres in downtown Nashville.

The college currently offers two programs: a twelve month diploma and an Associates of Arts Degree in Mortuary Science.

In June 1947, the John A. Gupton Alumni Association was founded. The alumni association has established an endowment fund to show support of the college and its future.

Mr. & Mrs. Gupton prevailed against the odds of success and rose to become leaders of professional standards. The legacy they left is instilled in the minds of the college's graduates and the institution that remains today. John A. Gupton College has graduated over 1,750 graduates and remains vital as a funeral service education institution.

External links

Advertisements

Advertisements






Got something to say? Make a comment.
Your name
Your email address
Message