From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For the AM radio network in the San Francisco Bay Area, see KCBS (AM)
KBCS-FM (91.3 FM) is a noncommercial community radio station serving the Puget Sound region of Seattle, Washington, USA. The station is licensed to Bellevue College and broadcasts in HD Radio at 91.3 MHz with a power of 8,000 watts. The transmitter and studios are located in Bellevue, Washington on the campus of the college. A 1972 student sit-in demanding studio space and a radio tower led to the creation of the station. On February 3, 1973, KBCS went on the air as a college radio station with used equipment donated by KING FM at 10 watts of power.
In 1988, the station was experiencing difficulties in maintaining the legal requirements of its operating license. In addition, Bellevue Community College administrators wanted the station to better serve the community at-large. The college then decided to hire Harriet Baskas as the new General Manager. KBCS then became licensed as a Community Radio station.
Currently, the general manager is Steve Ramsey. Typically, music experts, journalists and social activists from the local community comprise the station's DJs, reporters and program hosts. KBCS's eclectic programming includes noncommercial folk, jazz, world and blues music rarely heard on the radio dial. Syndicated News and Public Affairs programming includes CounterSpin, Hard Knock Radio, Democracy Now!, GRITradio, The Takeaway, The Sound of Young America, The BBC World News and The Michael Eric Dyson Show. The station is a Pacifica affiliate. KBCS currently has an all volunteer news department. A team of volunteers also produces two weekly public affairs programs: Voices of Diversity and One World Report.
- The Caravan - A daily musical journey touching on many genres, and featuring host John Gilbreath’s extensive knowledge of jazz, world, and Americana.
- The Outskirts - Spans the breadth of the American music tradition, from the early days of country, folk music, blues, R&B/soul and beyond, to today’s local artists hosted by Richard Gillmann, Iaan Hughes, Sean "Gator Boy" Donovan, Christine Linde, and Scott Farley.
- Hawaii Radio Connection - Music and news of Hawaii with Gregg Porter, Stephen Gomes and the gang.
- One Step Beyond - Classic soul music and rare B-sides with host Bob Anthony.
- Straight, No Chaser - Challenging modern jazz from Monk to Trane to Ayler to today with host David Utevsky.
- Raizes - Brazilian music. Hosted by Samia Panni, Sharon Stevens and Amy Pennington.
- Zulu Radio - Straight from the Seattle chapter of the Universal Zulu Nation, Zulu Radio is an outlet for up-and-coming independent Hip Hop artists, both locally and worldwide, and aims to spread awareness of Hip Hop not only as a cultural movement, but as a vehicle for positive growth within the Northwest community. Hosts are DJ Khazm, Sean Malik and WD4D.
Public Affairs Programs
- Listen Up, Northwest! - Produced by Reclaim the Media, the Northwest Community Radio Network and KBCS, LUNW is a radio magazine featuring stories of communities in action throughout the Northwest. Each broadcast highlights the work of community radio producers and artists from Alaska, British Columbia, Washington, Idaho, Montana and Oregon.
- Voices of Diversity - Voices of Diversity tells the untold stories and celebrates the diversity of cultural expression found in the Northwest. The program started as a collaboration between KBCS and the City of Bellevue Cultural Diversity Program. It is now supported by a grant from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.
- One World Report - Produced by a team of volunteers, One World Report addresses social justice around the world and in the Puget Sound region.
- Speak On It Radio - Logic Amen, longtime KBCS producer, commentator, and frequent host of Voices of Diversity, hosts this locally produced public affairs program. Logic connects hip-hop communities with issues concerning society, pop culture, spirituality and politics.