From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Kidou Keiji Jiban
Kidou Keiji Jiban
||Shouhei Kusaka, Michiko Enokida,
Hajime Izu and Shōzō Iizuka
|Country of origin
|No. of episodes
||30 minutes (per episode)
||January 30, 1989 – January 29, 1990
Kidou Keiji Jiban (機動刑事ジバン Kidō Keiji Jiban), translated into English as
Mobile Detective Jiban, is a Japanese tokusatsu television series
part of the Metal Hero Series produced by Toei, aired by TV Asahi in Japan from
January 30, 1989 to January 29, 1990 with 52 episodes and a feature
movie aired on July 17, 1989. It was also translated as
Mobile Sheriff Jiban. According to Toei's
International Sales & Promotion Department, the series' English
title can be localized as Jiban.
Every episode of Kidou Keiji Jiban begins with the
statement: "This is the drama of a girl and a young man's heart
who loves people and protects justice." (これは人を愛し、正義を守る若者と少女の心のドラマである。 Kore wa
Hito o Aishi, Seigi o Mamoru Wakamono to Shōjo no Kokoro no Dorama
Tamura Naoto, a new detective in Central City was killed by a
Bioron agent in the line of duty. Doctor Kenzou Igarashi, a man
whose experiments had been responsible for the Bioron syndicate's existence, brought the man back
to life as a robot detective, Jiban. Eventually Madogarbo and
Rhinonoid killed Jiban, who returned to life again as
Perfect Jiban (basically the same
design as the original, but with a blue-colored metal body and
three new weapons). In the finale, Bioron destroyed Jiban's base
and transformed Madogarbo into false Jiban. Jiban defeated his
duplicate and ultimately Gibanoid, the true form of Bioron's leader
Doctor Giba. The victorious Jiban then learned that Igarashi
Mayumi, the one civilian that knew his secret, had been his missing
younger sister all along.
Jiban, holding up his badge.
- (Perfect) Jiban/Naoto Tamura:
A human revived as a cyborg by
Doctor Igarashi to fight Bioron. He is capable of reverting to his
human identity at will. He holds the rank of police commissioner
(as a robot) and detective (as human). Jiban's programming enables
him to follow these directives:
- Arrest criminals in any circumstance without a warrant.
- Punish criminals on his own judgment if they happen to be
members of Bioron.
- Use lethal force depending on the circumstances.
- Mayumi Igarashi: The only civilian who knew
Jiban's secret identity. She lost her memory in battle, after
falling from a waterfall, because, Bioron put in her finger a Bomb
Ring. If Jiban approaches her, the bomb will burst. She called
Naoto her 'big brother,' only to find that she was really his lost
sister in the finale.
- Shun'ichi and Shizue Igarashi: Mayumi's
parents, relocated as witnesses to Bioron.
- Doctor Kenzo Igarashi: Started the Jiban's
project to counter Bioron, the results of his biological
experimentation. He died when Jiban was built.
- Youko Katagiri: A female detective of Central
City. Naoto's senior. Manly sharpshooter who could not figure out
that Naoto was Jiban.
- Kiyoshirou Muramatsu: Elite detective of
Central City with a liking for Youko.
- Seiichi Yanagida: The head of the Police
Department. He cooperated with Doctor Igarashi in the Jiban Project
two years earlier. He collaborated with Jiban after Igarashi's
death. He died when Jiban's base was destroyed.
- Section Chief Takeko Bandou: The Central City
Section Chief of Detectives. Got headaches trying to keep the peace
in jurisdictions where strange events occurred, no thanks to
- Matsumoto Michiyo: A tea server of the
Detectives' Section of Central City Police Department. She is
always cheerful and encouraging.
- Boy/Harry Boy: Jiban's robotic assistant. He
stays at his secret base. Originally he was simply Boy, an immobile
camera-like robot who had to give instructions to Mayumi to operate
the control center, but then his computer was transferred to
panda-like "Harry" (a robot devised by another student of Doctor
Igarashi's) and began substituting for the amnesiac Mayumi. He died
when Jiban's base was destroyed.
- Ryou Hayakawa: A drifter who takes in Mayumi
after she loses her memory, mistaking her for his dead sister,
Midori. He initially refers to her by that name but later refers to
her by her own name Mayumi after reading a missing person's notice,
although Mayumi does not tell him her true origins (since her
memory is faulty). In the scuffle, Mayumi goes away, unable to
remember what just happened. He died in Episode 46, when Jiban
removed the Bomb Ring from Mayumi's finger with a very precise
shot, without hurting her. Ryou took the ring and ran, to throw it
out, but was killed in the resulting explosion.
- Jiban's Badge: It can be used as a
communicator to contact Harry Boy, Seiichi and Mayumi in Jiban's
Base or used to summon any of his vehicles, as well as to control
their armaments electronically.
Every episode, when Jiban faces his Bionoid enemy, he ejects his
badge from his waist and shows it to the monster, reading a code of
articles ans laws that served as his directives (much like the CPU
Directives in Robocop):
- (1st Article) Mobile Detective Jiban, under any circumstances,
can arrest the criminal. (（第一条）機動刑事ジバンは、いかなる場合でも令状なしに犯人を逮捕することができる。
(Daiichijō) Kidō Keiji Jiban wa, Ikanaru baai demo Reijō nashi
ni Hannin o Taiho suru koto ga Dekiru.)
- (2nd Article) Mobile Detective Jiban, in case the enemy is
recognized as Biolon, can apply the punishment by his own
(Dainijō) Kidō Keiji Jiban wa, Aite ga Baioron to Mitometa
baai, Mizukara no Handan de Hannin o Shobatsu suru koto ga
- (Attachment) Depending on the circumstances, even erasing him
is allowed. (（補足）場合によっては抹殺することも許される。 (Hosoku)
Baai ni yotte wa Massatsu suru koto mo Yurusareru.)
- (3rd Article) Mobile Detective Jiban's maximum priority is
human life, and every given order that disregards this can be
(Daisanjō) Kidō Keiji Jiban wa, Saiyūsen toshi, Kore o
Kaeriminai Arayuru Meiri o Haijo suru koto ga Dekiru.)
- (5th Article) In the case of Biolon manipulating the humans'
heart, the punishment can be applied by his own judgement. (（第五条）人間の信じる心を利用し、悪のために操るバイオロンと認めた場合、自らの判断で処罰する事ができる。
(Daigojō) Ningen no Shinjiru Kokoro o Riyō shi, Aku no tame ni
Ayatsuru Baioron to Mitometa baai, Mizukara no Handan de Shobatsu
suru koto ga Dekiru.)
- (6th Article) The crime of dispossing the children's hearts,
and hurting their heart is especially severe. (（第六条）子どもの夢を奪い、その心を傷つけた罪は特に重い。
(Dairokujō) Kodomo no Yume o Ubai, Sono Kokoro o Kizutsuketa
Tsumi wa Toku ni Omoi.)
- (9th Article) Mobile Detective Jiban can erase everyone that
destroys all lifeforms' peace by his own judgment. (（第九条）機動刑事ジバンは、あらゆる生命体の平和を破壊する者を、自らの判断で抹殺することができる。
(Daikyūjō) Kidō Keiji Jiban wa, Arayuru Seimeitai no Heiwa o
Hakai suru Mono o, Mizukara no Handan de Massatsu suru koto ga
- Super Police Machine Reson: Jiban's patrol
car, a Mazda RX-7 with a sixth generation computer and hence a will
of its own, and it was destroyed by Gibanoid.
- Super Police Bike Vaican: Jiban's Suzuki motorcycle with a sixth
generation computer and hence a will of its own, and it was
destroyed by Gibanoid.
- Super Police Jet Spylas: Jiban's stealth
fighter plane with a will of its own, and it was destroyed by
Doctor Giba using his ship's weapon systems.
Jiban holding Maximillian Type 3 in pistol mode.
- Spikes: It is hidden in Jiban's upper arms to
puncture and break a hold or to shoot.
- Jiban Hip Beam: It is hidden in Jiban's upper
arms to shoot into areas that cannot be accessed through physical
means (example: doors). Jiban used it in the movie.
- Maximillian Type 3: Jiban's personal weapon.
Concealed in a collapsible holster located on his right leg, it can
transform into either Pistol, Stun Gun, or Sword Mode.
The Maximillian Type 3 can also perform the following moves and
- Disclose Shock: It is used in stun gun mode,
essentially a stun gun.
- Last Shooting/Search Buster: It is used in
pistol mode, firing laser shots.
- Jiban End (Energy Sword): It is used in sword
mode, splits enemies in half.
- Daedalus: Jiban's personal cannon. Required to
perform the Daedalus Bombard Technique, which is
used to finish off foes. It can be made into a backpack jet to
enable Jiban to fly short distances.
Perfect Jiban equipped with Powerbreaker Claw and Autoderringer
- Autoderringer Rifle: Jiban's personal rifle.
He acquired it after being resurrected as Perfect Jiban. It has a
machine gun mode and a bazooka mode. The machine gun mode is used
to stun and set up the enemy; after an "Energy Charge" in which the
bazooka is charged, it fires a powerful shot to finish off the
enemy. It was destroyed by Gibanoid during Jiban's final fight with
- Powerbreaker Claw: A left arm attachment. It
can be used to attack enemies. He acquired it after being
resurrected as Perfect Jiban.
- Needricker Drill: A right arm attachment. It
can be used to drill into areas that cannot be accessed through
physical means (e.g. doors). Acquired it after being resurrected as
An armed force organized by the mysterious scientist Doctor Giba
intending to take over Japan by means of narrow attacks rather than
large-scale destruction. Their theme/weapon is biochemistry.
- Doctor Giba: A brown-haired, bearded
human-looking leader and founder of Bioron. His real identity is
Gibanoid, a biomonster born by accident from the
chemical waste of Doctor Igarashi's National Science Academy Bio
Laboratory. As a result, Giba is filled with malice for humans. He
assumed his true form in the series finale, using Mayumi as a
shield to escape in his ship. He died while fighting Jiban on his
ship as it crashed into the mountainside.
- Marsha and Karsha: The first biolifeforms
created by Kiba, his secretaries and intermediaries between him and
his Bionoid agents. They can transform into small spiders (for
spying on people), and assume their inhuman "Battle" forms (Battle
Marsha and Battle Karsha), armed with energy whips. They were
killed in the series finale by Doctor Giba for failing to kill
- Bubi and Muku (Pugui and Muguie in the Brazilian
dub): The cute and not so-cute creatures living in
Bioron's base. Muku was one of Jiban's foes in early chapters, in
giant size, but only as a distraction. The 4 critters had a
tendency to annoy Marsha and Karsha with their Commentary of what
the 2 recently did during that episode. Sometimes just showing up
once to be used as target practice by the Bionoids demonstrating
their powers. The 4 became friends with Mayumi when she told them
about a Mothers love and she tried to defend them from Marsha and
Karsha who attacked the critters for saving Mayumi's life by
Defusing the bomb in FakeMomnoid. They hung out with Mayumi in the
- Madogarbo (17-51): A Jiban Killer Cyborg
created by Dr. Giba as a counter to Jiban. Using power from Queen
Cosmos, she and Rhinonoid are able to kill Jiban in Episode 34, but
he is resurrected as Perfect Jiban. She later assumes his total
appearance to attack him by having his Reson, Spylas and Vaican
attack Jiban making them believe Jiban was Madogarbo. She even got
as far as damaging Jiban so badly that he went Blind but Mayumi's
Despair at seeing her brother about to be killed caused what energy
of Queen Cosmos was left to gather and Blast FakeJiban turning her
back into regular Madogarbo.
- Queen Cosmos (28-46): A lunar life form
resembling a human woman (but actually a floating rock like
starfish with a long tail) intent on conquering Earth to establish
an all-woman empire. Appeared in episode 28 but didn't reveal her
name till episode 34. In her own words, she is made of space
garbage and came from a place that was cold and ugly lacking
anything beautiful. Thus her obsession with having everything
beautiful and being called beautiful herself. She is more powerful
than the other Biorons (except Doctor Giba himself), she allies
with them to destroy Jiban. Her Jewelry turns into Parasite
creatures: Earring into a Skull patterned Ladybug that would infuse
into Jiban distorting his Circuitry and her Brooch would turn into
a spider creature blasting Jiban with Tiny powerful balls of light.
Her bracelet was able to transform into a Snake creature wrapping
around ones neck to control their mind. In Episode 46, she was
defeated by Jiban.
- Masques: The mass-produced grunt human-like
life forms armed with knives, guns, machine guns and bazooka. They
can disguise themselves as humans and regenerate lost limbs. A
determined human (usually Yoko and sometimes Kiyoshiro) can take
them out by shooting them in the head or chest or by physically
choking them out.
Monsters of the week, the product of Dr. Kiba's research. Can
disguise themselves as humans.
- Chamelenoid (Kamerenoido) (01): Posed as a middle-age man to
steal top-secret files. Fire missiles from his chest.
- Catnoid (Nekonoid)(02)
- Mudnoid (Doronoid) (03)
- Rosenoid (Baranoid)(04)
- Octopusnoid (Takonoid) (05)
- Vulturenoid (Hagetakanoid) (06)
- Influenzanoid (Kazenoid) (07): The only Bioron with a heart.
Originally a simple doll transformed into a carrier of a flu-like
disease engineered by Bioron, he is nevertheless unable to hurt his
previous owner (as a doll), a little girl.
- Molenoid (Moguranoid) (08)
- Hyenanoid (09)
- Nightmarenoid (Akumunoid) (10)
- Hedgehognoid (Urchinoid) (11): The first Bioron killed Naoto as
he was defending Dr. Igarashi. Flashback episode.
- Skunknoid (13)
- Killernoid (14)
- Wolfnoid (Ookaminoid) (15)
- Jellyfishnoid (Kuragenoid) (16)
- Agehanoid (17)
- Starfishnoid (Hitodenoid) (18)
- Injectnoid (Chuushanoid) (19)
- Moneynoid (Kanenoid) (20)
- Bugnoid (Mushinoid) (21): Made from the eggs of a bug stolen
from a little girl by Bioron during a burglary.
- Hunternoid (22)
- Goatnoid (Yaginoid) (23)
- Suicidenoid (Jisatsunoid) (24)
- Explodenoid (Bakuhanoid) (25)
- Dragonoid (Ryuunoid) (26)
- Centipedenoid (Mukadenoid) (27)
- Elephanoid (Zounoid) (28)
- Doublenoid (29)
- Kabukinoid (30)
- Shinobinoid (31)
- Distnoid (32)
- snakeheadnoid (Raigyonoid) (33)
- Rhinonoid (Sainoid) (34)
- Chambaranoid (36) : Was a samurai who saved Yoko in
past,but transformed into monster by Dr. Giba. The monster was
armed with swords,chains,glue,and a bomb in his body given by Mad
- Tortoinoid (Kamenoid) (37)
- Mushroonoid (Kinokonoid) (38): Disseminates spores that cause
laziness in people, including Seishiro and local traffic officer
Kotani, who decide to leave town on a fishing trip.
- HermitCrabnoid (Yadokarinoid) (39)
- Panthernoid (40)
- Anacondanoid (Uwabaminoid) (41)
- Tyrannosaurusnoid (42): Not active as a monster; actually a
suckling needing electricity to grow, provided by Namazunoid.
- Catfishnoid (Namazunoid) (42): Electricity stealer, which he
uses to power the incubator for Tyrannosaurusnoid.
- Cobranoid (43): Takes the appearance of an old lady to inject a
drug on Yoko that is eventually carried over to Jiban after he
rescues her from a Bioron attack. Uses a flute to control Yoko into
- Suitorunoid (44) Was sent to suck out the mind of a Brilliant
Scientist to make a cure for the Pollen a Space Butterfly was
scattering about that put people (Even Marsha and Karsha) to sleep.
Created by Queen Cosmos she attempted to get to the Scientist first
but Suitorunoid absorbed not only the Scientist's mind but that of
a young boy. When Queen Cosmos used her Mind-Snake on the Bionoid
to release the minds the 2 got switched into the wrong body.
- Squidnoid (Ikanoid) (45)
- Unicornnoid (47)
- TempleBellnoid (Tsuriganenoid) (48)
- Fakemomnoid (Nisehahanoid)(49)
- Great Gibanoid (DaiGibanoid) (Movie)
- Batblock (Movie)
- Ammoblock (Movie)
- Spiderblock (Movie)
- My Lovely Girl Boss (僕のかわゆい少女ボス Boku no Kawayui Shōjo
- I Love! Naoto Older Brother (大好き! ナオトお兄ちゃん Dai Suki!
- The Strange Man and the Haunted Vegetables (へんな男とおばけ野菜 Hen na
Otoko to Obake Yasai)
- Truly Beautiful Rose's Present (すてきなバラのプレゼント Suteki na
Bara no Purezento)
- Three Great Mecha Mobilize! Rescue the Idol Robo! (三大メカ出動! アイドルロボを救出せよ!
Sandaimeka Shutsudō! Aidoru Robo o Kyūshutsu seyo!)
- The Secret of the Broken Dinossaur Egg (割れた恐竜の卵のひみつ Wareta
Kyōryū no Tamago no Himitsu)
- Dreadful Sneezing Man! (恐怖のハクションおじさん! Kyōfu no Hakushon
- Dekoboko! Tokyo Mole Map (デコボコ! 東京モグラ地図 Dekoboko!
Tōkyō Mogura Chizu)
- The Puppy Became a Cat (猫になった子犬 Neko ni
- Papa Isn't Papa!? (パパはパパじゃない!? Papa wa Papa Janai!?)
- The Girl's and the Warrior's Heart Pledge (少女と戦士の心の誓い Shōjo to
Senshi no Kokoro no Chikai)
- Danger! Yoko Senpai (危うし!
洋子先輩 Ayaushi! Yōko Senpai)
- Help the Sorrowful Boy (哀しみの少年を救え Kanashimi no Shōnen o
- Love's Great Reversal Game! (愛の大逆転ゲーム! Ai no
- The Werewolf Likes Piano (オオカミ男はピアノ好き
Ōkamiotoko wa Piano Suki)
- I Am a Transparent Person!! (おれは透明人間だぞ!! Ore wa
Tōmei Ningen Da zo!!)
- Birth! VS Jiban Deadly Weapons (誕生! 対ジバン必殺兵器 Tanjō!
Tai Jiban Hissatsu Heiki)
- Mother and Daughter・In the Edge of Sadness (母と娘・悲しみの果てに Haha to
Musume・Kanashimi no Hate ni)
- Give Up the Electronic Badge! (電子手帳返上! Denshiteichō Henjō!)
- City Money Rained Down! (町にお金が降って来た! Machi no
Okane ga Kudattekita!)
- Steel Insect・Poisonous Insect・Guerilla Insect (スズ虫・毒虫・ゲリラ虫
- It Was Mayumi!! (マユミがいた!! Mayumi ga Ita!!)
- The Monster Who Overate Manga (マンガを喰いすぎた怪物 Manga o
- Welcome!! To the Great Spiritual World (ようこそ!! 大霊界へ Yōkoso!!
- Strike the Goddess! (女神サマをぶッとばせ! Megami-sama o
- Dragon-Fished Beautiful Gourmet (竜に釣られたグルメ美女 Ryū ni
Tsurareta Gurume Bijo)
- Love Children are Demon Children (愛するわが子は悪魔の子 Aisuru
Wagako wa Akumako)
- Papa is Doctor Giba?! (パパはドクターギバ?! Papa wa Dokutā Giba?!)
- Mass Loving Encounters! (集団見合いで大ドンデン! Shūdan
Miai de Daidonden!)
- Handsome Boy Kotaro's Party Monster (美少年小太郎一座の怪人 Bishōnen
Kotarō Ichiza no Kaijin)
- The Midsummer's Night Ninja Battle (真夏の夜のニンジャ合戦 Manatsu
no Yoru no Ninja Gassen)
- Pearl's Tears are in the Golden Ocean (パールの涙は金色の海に Pāru no
Namida wa Kiniro no Umi ni)
- Millenium Flower Smiled at the Garbo (ガルボに咲いた千年ハス Garubo ni
Waraita Sennen Hasu)
- Heroic! Jiban Dies (壮絶!
ジバン死す Sōzetsu! Jiban Shisu)
- It's Perfect Jiban! (パーフェクトジバンだ! Pāfekuto Jiban da!)
- Dreaming Sword Fighting Monster! (夢見るチャンバラ怪物! Yumemiru
- I Am the Most Beautiful Woman in the World!? (私は世界一の美女!? Watashi
wa Sekaiichi no Bijo!?)
- It's Birthplace, Mother! (故郷だよ、おっ母さん! Furusato
da yo, Okka-san!)
- Mayumi's Bomb Ring!! (マユミの指輪爆弾!! Mayumi no Yubiwa
- Great Revolt!! Haunted Clock (大反乱!! お化け時計
Daihanran!! Obake Tokei)
- Digression! Unmanageable Policewoman (脱線! じゃじゃ馬婦警 Dassen!
- Monster Rock'n Roll! (怪物ロックンロール! Kaibutsu Rokkun Rōru!)
- Yoko Pierced Jiban...! (ジバンを刺した洋子…! Jiban o Sashita
- The Genius Scientist Who Turned into a Kid (子供になった天才科学者 Kodomo ni
Natta Tensai Kagakusha)
- Dreadful Squid-Human Operation! (恐怖の人間スルメ作戦! Kyōfu no
Ningen Surume Sakusen!)
- I Like! Two Brothers (好き!
二人のお兄ちゃん Suki! Futari no
- Clash! Christmas Final Battle!! (激突! クリスマス決戦!!
Gekitotsu! Kurisumasu Kessen!!)
- Year-Ending Biolon Extermination Party! (年忘れバイオロン退治!
Toshiwasure Baioron Taiji!)
- Devasted Jiban Base (あばかれたジバン基地 Abakareta Jiban Kichi)
- Tie Both Lines and Points (二人を結ぶ点と線 Futari o
Musubu Ten to Sen)
- Slash the Illusion Mayumi! (幻のマユミを斬れ! Maboroshi
no Mayumi o Kire!)
- The Final Battle of Love (愛の最終決戦!! Ai no
A movie for the series, entitled Kidou Keiji Jiban: Great
Explosion at the Monster Factory of Fear, was released on July
15, 1989 Special as part of the 1989 "Manga Matsuri" Special
Jiban has also been broadcast in other countries,
dubbed in their national language.
- Naoto Tamura / Kidou Keiji Jiban: Shouhei Kusaka
- Doctor Kenzo Igarashi: Hajime Izu
- Doctor Giba: Leo Meneghetti
- Mayumi Igarashi/Midori Hayakawa: Konomi Mashita
- Youko Katagiri: Michiko Enokida
- Ryuu Hayakawa: Ryohei Kobayashi
- Seiichi Yanagida: Akira Ishihama
- Marsha: Ami
- Karsha: Akemi Kogawa
- Narrator: Toru Ohira
- Seishiro Muramatsu: Kunio Konishi
- Madogarbo: Kazuko Yanaga
- Queen Cosmos: Yoko Asakura
- Opening theme
- "Kidou Keiji Jiban" (機動刑事ジバン Kidō Keiji Jiban)
- Lyrics: Keisuke Yamakawa
- Composition: Kisaburō Suzuki
- Arrangement: Kazuya Izumi (和泉 一弥 Izumi Kazuya)
- Artist: Akira
- Ending theme
- "Ashita Yohō wa Itsumo Hare" (未来（あした）予報はいつも晴れ, "Tomorrow's Forecast is Always
- Lyrics: Keisuke Yamakawa
- Composition: Kisaburō Suzuki
- Arrangement: Kazuya Izumi
- Artist: Akira Kushida
Jiban's episodes and movie has been released in Japan in several
VHS tapes. Though it had been
obscure for a long time with the rest of the other metal hero TV
shows, there has been sightings of a DVD release. It is most likely
subtitled in other languages such as Portuguese in bootlegged form
as there has been no word from Toei officials if Jiban would
receive an official release in Japanese or licensed release in
foreign subtitled languages such as English.
In 2009 Jiban was released on R2 DVD in 5 Volumes.